I may purchase a 4K TV by end of the year

Scherrman

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 14, 2008
Eastern Iowa
Since we are planning on closing our business at the end of this year I plan on upgrading my main TV and appliances while I can get them for cost. My 58" plasma is 5 years old now and I don't look forward to purchasing a TV from another store in the future so I want to try and hold of as long as possible by upgrading while I can.

I figure if I'm going to get a new TV I might as well look into getting a 4K TV. I don't care for 3D or a lot of Smart TV features but I do think 4K could be nice to have. We sell LG and Samsung and I really like both. I plan on doing plenty of my own research but I like to hear the opinions from members on here that actually have them. Any favorite models?

I'm sure you're wondering why I don't have any in stock at all. I don't stock any high end TVs because they sit on display all year and just lose value. The majority of my customers want cheap and easy.

My first question to you would be what size? I've seen the new LG OLED 55" and it was absolutely beautiful. I've also seen the Samsung 9000 series and it was also impressive. We bought the Samsung 8000 series last november and we love the set. Now I could buy the 4K for the same price but at the time I thought it was too soon.

I have the Samsung 658550.
You'll need to appreciate a smart tv for now as it is almost the only way to view 4k. While the 4k tvs out now are very good IMO, you also need to know that they will be no match for what will be offered the next 2-4 years. There is no HDR and expanded color content which these 4k tvs on the market could not display. I needed another tv and the price was not much different than a good 1080p. I watch Directv hd and some Netflix streaming and really like the pic.

I'm fine with Smart TV, I just don't need it since I already have a Roku player. I realize that I'll be getting the Smart TV features regardless. Since I have a 58" TV now I don't want to go smaller so I'm thinking 60" or 65". I was looking at maybe the LG 65UB9800.

I'm fine with Smart TV, I just don't need it since I already have a Roku player.
I think you are missing the point. In order to take full advantage of 4K you need a 4K source like Netflix. Roku doesn't currently do 4K, so the only way to get 4K Netflix would be with a Smart TV.

I think you are missing the point. In order to take full advantage of 4K you need a 4K source like Netflix. Roku doesn't currently do 4K, so the only way to get 4K Netflix would be with a Smart TV.

Ahhh, I got it now. I never thought of that. I figured I would need an external device to get 4K content. To be honest I'm not that concerned about 4K content right away since I know there isn't a lot available yet. I'm more interested in the fact that it's suppose to up-convert the signal it's receiving. It there a noticeable improvement?

Since we are planning on closing our business at the end of this year I plan on upgrading my main TV and appliances while I can get them for cost.
That's surprising news. Sorry to hear that.

That's surprising news. Sorry to hear that.

We're going to try and keep the Dish part going as long as we can. We are also trying to get someone else to take over for us so our community still has a store to go to and get service. My family just does not want to operate it anymore and either do I. I enjoy the business management aspect but dislike the customer relations part.

If I had a great technician and reliable delivery men I would consider taking over the thing myself but there are not many quality workers available, especially for appliance repair.

For most small businesses, business management = customer relations.

I know and I get that. Right now I handle just about everything and with not having employees I can rely on to get the job down it's been tough. I can't really get rid of them because the work needs to get done and I don't have people to replace them. This isn't the only part of our business, we also have a Case IH dealership that is part of the corporation. The appliance portion was just added to on so the farmer's wives could shop while they dealt with purchasing a tractor. My grandpa and dad ran the appliance portion for years while my uncles and cousin have run the implement business. I will be helping out more in the accounting department there and just helping with business operations. The implement business makes a LOT more and I have a chance to make more as well.

It takes us an entire year's worth of sales and service to make what they make on two tractor sales.

Glad I'm not in the market to buy a tractor! ;)

We have a brand new combine on the lot for about $650,000. Don't let anyone tell you that farmers are poor, they're the richest people in the Midwest. Of course that's accounting for their land and equipment.

So, back to this thread topic, lol. Has anyone checked out the LG 65UB9800?

Nobody knows how to work the government and IRS much better than a farmer.

It is kind of like asking inmates about criminal law. ;)

You should see them try wo buy a kitchen full appliances from us. They get it so they can right it off as tractor parts. Just had a guy buy $3,000 in appliances and wrote it off as parts. It's easy to do since the implement store is part of the same corporation.

My company sold a $3,000 double-wide refrigerator along with a $150,000 rock crusher. It was listed on the sales order as an optional feature.

I got my new TV in yesterday and hooked it up after work. I went with the LG 65UB9500. It looks pretty awesome but I'm still getting use to the remote and the menu system. I generally don't care about Smart TV features but I will admit it is rather nice. I logged onto my Amazon Instant Video account on the TV and I found out I can watch HBO shows through that app. I watch Part 1 of Band of Brothers to test out the app and the picture quality. I was very impressed with the picture quality. I'm assuming it was 1080p but I wasn't able to find out. It sure looked like blu ray quality.

Since I don't have any sound coming out of the TV to my surround sound I had to use the TV speakers to listen to Band of Brothers. I was actually really impressed with the quality of sound coming from the TV. This TV actually has some decent speakers in it. I believe they are using Harman Kardon speakers.

I checked out the Picture Wizard III feature on it and thought it was pretty helpful for getting the picture settings right. From the beginning I just put my TV on the Cinema setting and I really liked it. I know it makes the TV look really dim but the colors are much more accurate, especially skin tones.

I only messed around with it for a couple hours last night so I have more work to do yet. I'll keep everyone updated.

Congrats. Cinema is the way most of us go when not doing ISF mode. As I said in another thread, the Sony FMP-X10 media player is now compatible with sets from other manufacturers.

S~

Last night I used the YouTube app and watched some 4k content and I was blown away. I couldn't believe that would would by just using the app.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)