I think Hopper is going south

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
Twice since sometime during the night, have received Hard Drive failure error message...the one that says to unplug the Hopper. When it happens, all my recordings are gone. When I do hard reboot, they come back. Have had to do it twice. Waiting to contact Dirt till sometime after Christmas since I will be out of town all next week. Was planning on using Dish Anywhere a lot...even bought an Apple lightning to HDMI adapter for iPad. Oh, well...one of many bumps in the road for me this week.

Better connect an EHD to it pronto and save what recordings you can before the hard drive goes totally belly up!

Ours had been acting up. The first thing we saw, and this has happened for months, was the Joey would become unlinked (happened often enough for us to see the message so it no doubt was happening at other times). Then, in the past week, the Hopper was randomly rebooting a couple of times a day (again, that we saw happen) and downloads were failing. Also had a message that "a wireless USB adapter has been installed" when it's been plugged in for a year !

I've been wanting to upgrade to the Sling version anyway and had confirmed that I could do it at no charge, so I contacted Dish. Again confirmed the charge, still would be free, etc, etc. I told the rep the current Hopper was acting up and should we troubleshoot it. He/she said no - if you want to go that route and have Dish "fix" it, we'll replace it with a refurbished (original) Hopper. Then I asked when can I get the new Hopper -- 7-10 business days ! Yes, I know that's worst case, but with the box rebooting randomly, it would be hard to even watch TV. I then asked when can a tech "install" one - tomorrow, between 12 and 5. Added the protection plan back and took the appointment.

Might be a route you want to take as well....

Samething.
My Hard Drive is bad. I keep loosing shows as it reformats.
I don't want to have to pay to have Dish come out when I can replace it myself. I jus need to plug in the cables the same way.
Plus, I really want the new Hooper and they still want to charge me to upgrade.
I am out of contract so I am looking at all options, but as the other scott suggested I will wait till after CES to see what is new out there.

Went down again. This time took two reboots to come back.

Contact DIRT and see what they can do for you on adding the Hopper. Be sure to tell them your HD is bad. I upgraded to Hopper in March and did not have to pay anything, but the 2 year contract.

So far so good since last reboot 11am. Keeping fingers crossed to get us through the weekend.

Even if you re-up your contract for (24) months ?
Sometimes they'll ship out receivers, with a new commitment, but there is always going to be the desire to send a technician first. One good reason... Have to have someone sign the new contract.

An update. I have received no more HDD failure messages, and have not needed to reboot. However, and am getting freezing and heavy, momentary pixelation when playing back a recording or skipping backwards during a live program. Will contact Dirt and see what they think.

I said this 6 months ago and everybody thought I was nuts...

Just be warned though, the HD may indeed be going bad. It's just that Dish seems incapable of properly responding to even a single error, falling back on reformatting the drive instead of deleting the damaged file and mapping the bad block out.

It's happening again, after every nightly update/reset.

That lightening to HDMI dongle will be useless. Apple won't pass movies thru it.

That lightening to HDMI dongle will be useless. Apple won't pass movies thru it.
As a blanket statement, that is not entirely true. Depends on app/source. IE, Amazon prime will not pass, but Netflix will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)