IB 05-72 Rainbow1 at the FCC

Reasons why VOOM does not need/want R-1:

1. R-1 is full, and there is no way to expand capacity at 61.5

2. VOOM has leased R-2 they need this space anyways, have nearly 3x the licensed bandwidth of R-1 (not counting the 2 STA transponders).

3. VOOM can lease R-2 with 3x bandwidth for 10-15 years for the cost of R-1 and pay for it over time (yearly payments) instead of having to pay up front to buy R-1 from CVC. Do not fool yourself into thinking that CVC is simply going to give this satellite to VOOM.

4. Look angle of R-2 is better than R-1, especially on the west coast. This allows more potential customers to pick up VOOM.

The only thing VOOM needs from E*/R-1 is the ability to lease for the time to switch over to R-2. This is about VOOM survival now, to cut expenses enough to enable it to stay in business until enough customers sign up to break even.

jame_g said:
Actually, as a (recently) former E* customer, I can assure that most won't. E* has the majority of programming at 110 and 119 which can be received with a single dish. Most people don't want a second dish pointing off in a totally different direction. E* needs solutions which can be attained with nothing more than a single Dish 500 or Superdish.

If it would mean a crap load more HD, I would have a second Dish out there in a second.

I actually still have my second dish pointed at 61.5 out there already, it is just unwired, hell I would put a third one out there if I have too.

justalurker said:
I believe that any comments from any of us will be read as Ex Parte.

Comments from the public on any issue are normally read as Informal Comments. Unless filed as something else. Not as Ex Parte comments.

bryan27 said:
Comments from the public on any issue are normally read as Informal Comments. Unless filed as something else. Not as Ex Parte comments.
What is an ex parte presentation?
An ex parte presentation is any presentation which, if written (including electronic mail), is not served on the parties to the proceeding, or, if oral, is made without advance notice to the parties and without opportunity for them to be present.
Ex parte isn't the term I was looking for. Maybe the correct term will pop in to my head at some point. I was thinking of "comments made by those not a party to the decision". Those comments usually taken less seriously than comments made by the parties involved.

JL

JL- Understand your point and is well taken. Strategy- wait to the end of the filing period to see how all this plays out.

ScottChez- there has to be a smart ass in every serious discussion. We all know that this is not a vote of yea vs. nay by the FCC, however, I do believe that the FCC will review each and every response. However, I'd bet that the responses will be few in number since this whole issue is not really receiving much editorial press. FWIW- you have no idea what I plan to put in my comments regarding the E* purchase of these assets. I will tell you this for a hint- I like HDTV and I have four services here, D*, E*, V* and Comcast.

I already received the filing information from the FCC- The basic information is filed electronically and requires a format to be received. Rather simple procedure.

One thing for sure: the more arguments are filed (pro or con), the longer the process takes which means more time for VOOM to continue using Rainbow-1. (assuming that it survives todays's meeting).
So lets keep filing arguments :D

Echostar Purchases Voom HDTV Satellite Company

Source: http://press.xtvworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=4581

EchoStar, announced that it will purchase the Rainbow 1 satellite used by Voom, plus the rights to 11 DBS frequencies. EchoStar will pay $200 million to Cablevision, Voom's parent, for the assets.

March 7, 2005 -- EchoStar, announced that it will purchase the Rainbow 1 satellite used by Voom, plus the rights to 11 DBS frequencies. EchoStar will pay $200 million to Cablevision, Voom's parent, for the assets.

The deal would seem to be the end for Voom, which has lost hundreds of millions of dollars for Cablevision since its launch in October, 2003. Despite a massive advertising campaign and a lineup of nearly 40 High-Definition TV channels, Voom has generated less than 30,000 subscribers. Cablevision's board this week refused Chairman Chuck Dolan's request to increase funding for the service.

EchoStar said it was still considering how it would use the Voom satellite -- and its DBS frequencies. However, the satcaster could use the extra space to provide local HDTV signals. Rival DIRECTV recently announced that it will launch four new satellites, enabling it to offer local HD in 12 cities as early as this summer.

Cablevision issued a press release Thursday night saying that it would continue to explore strategic alternatives for its remaining satellite assets, which include exclusive high-def channels and satellite spectrum. The company said it would also continue to provide service to its current Voom customers during an unspecified transition period.

Walter L. said:
JL:
Good finding. I guess is time for all Voomers to flood the FCC with comments against the sale to delay the process as much as possible :D

yeah delay the sale, that doesnt mean that CVC cant just still shut Voom down.... If they dont want the business, even forting the sale of Transponder licenses and Satellite to E* wont stop CVC from shutting Voom down.

mattb said:
yeah delay the sale, that doesnt mean that CVC cant just still shut Voom down.... If they dont want the business, even forting the sale of Transponder licenses and Satellite to E* wont stop CVC from shutting Voom down.
It is a FACT that Cablevision doesn't want the VOOM business. If VOOM is going to survive, it will be as an independent company and we'll know in few hours. That has been extensively discussed on this forum - I suggest you catch up with what is going on.
Waht I was trying to say is that IF VOOM survives, it would be good to delay the sale of Rainbow-1 as much as possible to allow more transition time.

Walter L. said:
It is a FACT that Cablevision doesn't want the VOOM business. If VOOM is going to survive, it will be as an independent company and we'll know in few hours. That has been extensively discussed on this forum - I suggest you catch up with what is going on.
Waht I was trying to say is that IF VOOM survives, it would be good to delay the sale of Rainbow-1 as much as possible to allow more transition time.

Walter, I have been following, I am just tired of everyone saying "Lets whine to the FCC...." The FCC will not stop CVC from shutting down Voom if they deem to do so... plus like everyone has said... FCC only cares about the facts, a bunch of "voom supporters" ranting that its unfair that CVC wants to shut down their fav satelllite service, will not even register on FCC Radar.

I don't have HDTV (can't afor it) but I would like to see VOOM Survive but I dont think whining to the FCC will stop VOOM from going BOOM. Only someone buying it (Charles Dolan) and putting funding behind it and using what he has at 72 degrees to broadcast will save it.

Walter L. said:
IF VOOM survives, it would be good to delay the sale of Rainbow-1 as much as possible to allow more transition time.
Echostar can continue to allow the Voom channels on their satellite during any transition that Voom HD LLC can negotiate. Just by the nature of the decision making process the transfer will NOT be approved before March 28th and is unlikely until after April 18. Giving two months for Voom to get the transition near completion.

There is enough delay built in and very likely "transition" is in the redacted parts of the satellite sales agreement. (There is a definition missing where transition fits alphabetically.)

JL

Comments Filed

Filed at the FCC, Roland Behunin of Farmington, UT said:
I believe the sale of the satellite known as Rainbow1 located at 61 degrees to
Echostar would violate the Taft-Hartley and Sherman Anti-trust laws.

I also believe this sale is not in the best interest of the consumers, would
stifle competition in the satellite television industry, and stop the
development of satellite HDTV delivery.​

JL

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I just wondering the status of 05-72 since it hasn't been openly discussed lately. Just a few questions for those in the know:

1. Is 05-72 on the fast track for FCC approval? If so, when can we expect the FCC to rule on this matter?

2. What are E*'s current/revised plans for Rainbow-1 and HD LIL? Do they plan to use Rainbow-1 to provided HD LIL for the top markets?

3. When can we expect to see all 21 VOOM HD channels included in the VOOM HD Pak?

Well, there are only 13 days left on the Timeclock and no update since May 5th...hardly taking the "fast-track" to granting approval. Is the FCC required to rule on this matter prior to the 180 day Timeclock or can they approve an extension. Personally, I don't understand what is taking so long...... :sleeo

philhu said:
When voom dropped their objection, I think approving it is no longer a priority.
Yes, but both Echostar and Cablevision asked the FCC to expedite this matter. There were no parties opposed to the sale and transfer of these assets....not even The Association of Consumers To Preserve and Promote DBS Competition. The ticker is dow to twelve (12) days.

The timeline represents the Commission’s goal of completing action on assignment and transfer of control applications (i.e., granting, designating for hearing, or denying) within 180 days of public notice. Routine applications should be decided well within the 180-day mark. More complex applications may take longer. It is the Commission’s policy to decide all applications, regardless of whether they are highlighted on the web page, as expeditiously as possible consistent with the Commission’s regulatory responsibilities. Although the Commission will endeavor to meet its 180-day goal in all cases, several factors could cause the Commission’s review of a particular application to exceed 180 days. Delay in action beyond the 180-day goal in a particular case is not indicative of how the Commission ultimately will resolve an application.
FCC - Bold Added​

There is no requirement that they finish this within 180 days.

BTW: The contract between Echostar and Rainbow gives the FCC one year to decide with an automatic extension if the FCC has not decided in one year.

JL

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts