Initial Testing Of Norsat C-Band LNB 3420

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If the cpu gets hot,I don't think it is going to immediately cool down when you switch channels.Why would Shepherd's Chapel be straining the cpu other than it is HD?

How does it do on a certain mux on 97W that is 16apsk? I would think those channels would over-work it if any did.

My picture got fuzzy and flickery with my MicroHD previously...Turned out it was all caused by a poor quality barrel connector. :oops:

I'll leave it up to the guru's here to figure it out...it's beyond my paygrade. ;)
Good luck!

If the cpu gets hot,I don't think it is going to immediately cool down when you switch channels.Why would Shepherd's Chapel be straining the cpu other than it is HD?

How does it do on a certain mux on 97W that is 16apsk? I would think those channels would over-work it if any did.

My picture got fuzzy and flickery with my MicroHD previously...Turned out it was all caused by a poor quality barrel connector. :oops:

I'll leave it up to the guru's here to figure it out...it's beyond my paygrade. ;)
Good luck!

Yeah, I'm not the engineer who designed it either, so I can't really answer your questions in the correct way; even the Korean Linkbox Engineer was at a loss for words! I can try a few different things to see if the twitching and flickering go away when I have time after work.

I was only able to pull 3848-3856 V TP'S off of 97W C-Band Saturday evening. Those came in really well with no flickering or twitching; especially LATV Channel came in really strong with the Signal Meters nearly off the scale!

I mostly just leave my C-Band dish parked on 58W NHK World, there's no flickering there so I'm happy with that. :)

Here is the CPU for the Linkbox 9000i, it looks a little small to me to do the job well. I've built enough PC's to know that a good quality heatsink needs to cover the entire area of the CPU, not just a mediocre 55%. I would like to put a bigger heatsink on there, but it's glued on for life, I don't want to tear up the CPU and board in the process.

I checked my cable connections, they are all good, but the picture still twitches. I managed to capture a few pics of the twitching that happens on the screen. The twitching and shifting screen seems to get progressively worse as the CPU gets warm to hot.
Swapping HDMI Cables makes no difference, the twitching screen is from the Linkbox. I could try a small fan to see if that might help, if I am able to tap into 12V somewhere in the power supply.

I might buy another Linkbox 9000i sometime later on for my Ku Dish, I could see if the same thing happens with it.

Attachments

• 1461110566058.jpg
    1461110566058.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 134
  • 1461112188431.jpg
    1461112188431.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 144
  • 1461112202940.jpg
    1461112202940.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 158
  • 1461112225954.jpg
    1461112225954.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 1461112237928.jpg
    1461112237928.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 147
It's difficult to capture the jittery twitching on my camera phone, but the whole screen is affected.

Attachments

• 1461113039997.jpg
    1461113039997.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 152
  • 1461113050828.jpg
    1461113050828.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 1461113065569.jpg
    1461113065569.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 153
If you really want it off.
Heat it up with a heat gun and slowly twist it off.
I have had good success before with that kind of thermal glue, using this method.

If you really want it off.
Heat it up with a heat gun and slowly twist it off.
I have had good success before with that kind of thermal glue, using this method.

That would be my last resort as I would need to buy a heat gun. I can try a PC Fan, there's 12V coming off the power supply to the board. Most of the PC Fans I have are too large for the small receiver. :)

I figured he done broke the void warranty sticker. :D

Is the unit under warranty? If so, I would first go that route. The video issue is not normal.

I would assume that removing/swapping the heat sink or modifying to install a fan would void the warranty.

I would guess it's still under warranty even though I bought it new from an Ebay Seller. The Linkbox Engineer didn't seem all too willing to take the box back for warranty work. I might get it back with the exact same issues. :)

In all seriousness I would return it. Something is for sure wrong. It sounds like you have tried different HDMI cables, etc.

In all seriousness I would return it. Something is for sure wrong. It sounds like you have tried different HDMI cables, etc.

I did find a small enough 12V PC Fan to blow directly onto the CPU heatsink for a little while now, but the twitching shifting picture still remains. Like you mentioned, I'm out of idea's, I tried everything I could think of.

It could still be a bad tuner like the Linkbox Engineer suggested that's causing the jittering screen. He told me that the signal bars should never be maxed out like I described, when I change the channel, the twitching screen pretty much clears up! :)

I wouldn't mind swapping out the Linkbox tuner for a Sharp brand tuner instead! :-D

I would RMA it, if you can. If it is over heating, damage could already be done to it. It could be the heat sink, it could be the tuner too, but it could be a Vreg or something else too, a lot of different things it could be. Best bet would be to get it RMA'd and exchanged for another one.

That heat sink does look a bit wimpy. :biggrin

I would RMA it, if you can. If it is over heating, damage could already be done to it. It could be the heat sink, it could be the tuner too, but it could be a Vreg or something else too, a lot of different things it could be. Best bet would be to get it RMA'd and exchanged for another one.

That heat sink does look a bit wimpy. :biggrin

I was hoping someone would agree with me about the heatsink being a little small. :-D Like you said, I probably just got the luck of the draw and got a bad box. It happens in the world of fast mass production.

I might buy another Linkbox 9000i for my Ku Band dish sometime later, and see if the problem occurs again.

I would guess it's still under warranty even though I bought it new from an Ebay Seller. The Linkbox Engineer didn't seem all too willing to take the box back for warranty work. I might get it back with the exact same issues. :)

IF you return it for warranty repair, make a tiny SECRET MARK (or two) somewhere on it, (case, and on mother board) and take a photo(s) of it.

Then when it returns, you can easily tell if it's a replacement box, OR the original unit that was returned. If it's fixed, it doesn't matter either way, but if it isn't fixed, and it has your marks, you know they pulled a fast one on you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.