Install Signal problem D12 versus new HR24

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JohnKHall

Original poster
Mar 27, 2015
Delaware
Hi all so I have a D12 works fine and also just got a HR24 known working good. My D12 was set on

03: Slimline 3
02: Multi-switch

The HR24 has two satelite in I tried both and also set up the HR24 for:

03: Slimline 3
02: Multi-switch

I get no signal. Am I doing something wrong?

First, your HR24 needs two cables from the dish and each cable needs a BBC (B-band converter) - you can get those free of charge from DirecTV if you call.
Second, has your dish ever been aligned correctly for the HD satellites? What signal levels are you seeing on the D12? Having connected the BBCs on the Hr23, what signals do you see on 101?

First, your HR24 needs two cables from the dish and each cable needs a BBC (B-band converter) - you can get those free of charge from DirecTV if you call.
Second, has your dish ever been aligned correctly for the HD satellites? What signal levels are you seeing on the D12? Having connected the BBCs on the Hr23, what signals do you see on 101?

Thanks Texas...It only had one wire from the dish to the D12. I just was hoping that it would have allowed me to get signal. Guess I need to pull the second wire and get the two converters.

On 101 I see signal at 98, 100, 99. Its pretty good id say

If you connect one cable to the sat1 input on the HR24, go to sat setup and select single tuner. You can then check the 101 signals, they should be the same as the D12.
Then just as a check, look at the 103ca signals, and post back, tell us what you see.

Yes as you thought...I do have good signal. I never turned the dish to 103. as I think thats what gives me HD and I had a d12 so no need. So I guess I still cant use the HR24 without turning dish and running two cables and the B - Band convertor??

Yes as you thought...I do have good signal. I never turned the dish to 103. as I think thats what gives me HD and I had a d12 so no need. So I guess I still cant use the HR24 without turning dish and running two cables and the B - Band convertor??

Well you definitely don't need to "turn" the dish, it should be able to pick up 99,101, and 103 already if aligned correctly.

You don't have to have two cables if you don't want to but you won't be able to record 2 things at once if you just have 1 cable. You will need b band converters though, one in each sat input.

No, you do NOT turn the dish. If the dish is aligned correctly on 101, then the 99/103 signals will be fine. What I suggested was if the dish seems to be aligned on 101, just look at the 103ca signals on the signal meters (103ca will be there even if you don't have the BBCs) and post back with the 103ca numbers.

Quietly suggesting different equipment seeing the OP has good signals ...

If he has access to the dish, and also has good signal, why not get him into a SWM set up, then he will only need 1 line from the dish to the splitter/Power Insertor .... ?

Possibly but not a big advantage unless it's incredibly difficult to run another cable, why spend the money on a new LNB and a power inserter?

Possibly but not a big advantage unless it's incredibly difficult to run another cable, why spend the money on a new LNB and a power inserter?
I agree, if pulling another cable isn't an issue ... I thought he'd mention it was a problem, but I looked again and he says its not an issue, must have been a different thread I was thinking about.

Ok...so for right now I'm going to go with the single cable and understand that if I don't install the second cable or the swm setup I can only record one show at a time.

That being said sounds like I still need the B-band convertor on at least that one line. Correct??

Also I see these genies on sale on ebay. Can I buy one of those and install it with this HR24??
You could but would start a new 2 year contract. If the genie is owned(very rare, even most on ebay are leased) then you could activate without a contract, but would need to pay $20 for an access card.

Ok...so for right now I'm going to go with the single cable and understand that if I don't install the second cable or the swm setup I can only record one show at a time.

That being said sounds like I still need the B-band convertor on at least that one line. Correct??
Yes, you need the BBC on the one line.

Has the OP ever stated he has a Slimline dish? The only thing I see is the D12 was set for slimline, I don't think that means the dish was ever aimed for the Ka birds and the D12 may have worked with a round dish seeing it was never looking for anything except a 101 signal.

Also I see these genies on sale on ebay. Can I buy one of those and install it with this HR24??

Bigger issue. First, for the Genie you would definitely need to go to SWM. Second, almost all Genies are leased not owned so buying off ebay you have to be very careful. If you buy an already-leased one DirecTv won't activate it (because the "seller" does not own it) so it's a door stop. If the seller claims it's "owned", you would need to get the receiver ID, and call DirecTv access card department to get confirmation before you buy it.
If you are going to get one on a leased-basis you might as well check with DirecTv and see if they will offer you an upgrade, it might even be free (including the SWM LNB, power inserter etc). And as posted, getting a leased Genie would put you into a 2-year contract.

Reactions: satgirl51
Has the OP ever stated he has a Slimline dish? The only thing I see is the D12 was set for slimline, I don't think that means the dish was ever aimed for the Ka birds and the D12 may have worked with a round dish seeing it was never looking for anything except a 101 signal.
Good point. If the OP does not actually have a slimline dish, all bets are off and he needs to post back and start the conversation over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts