Installation experience - good installer, inadequate OTA antenna

jclampit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jul 25, 2004
Just got Voom installed for my parents in Panama City. The installer was by far the most knowledgable and courteous I've ever dealt with, whether it was Direct TV, Voom at my place, Comcast Cable, Knology Cable, etc. (He was actually based out of Valdosta, GA, btw.)

It was an *ordeal* though. He said that even though these Motorola STBs are junk, he's only had 1 not work so far. But today, 5 out the guy's 8 STBs were defective, not putting out voltage, or something like that. He couldn't believe it. And Voom kept having to hit the 3 that worked before all the channels would come in. He was here for about 6 hours, working well into the dark. (Some of that time, though, was spent mounting a pole, clearing brush, burying the cable, etc.)

As of now the only problem is that we only get NBC (no sound), CBS, and PBS. No Fox or ABC, which is a *big* problem since my father *must* have the football games on those stations. He says he'll try a slightly better OTA antenna tomorrow, one that's far less attractive. But he's not too optimistic that it will work; he thinks it might take an omnidirectional square shooter like maddog has. And Voom probably won't authorize that.

Maybe we'll have to see if we can get some sort of a lifeline, locals only package from one of the local cable companies... If not, my parents may immediately drop Voom.

Oh, btw, by default, we got a 24" dish (round, not elliptical). In Jacksonville, where I live, they gave us the 18" dish.