Interesting Video on ATSC 3.0

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Who really, would call something with a 5 inch screen, a phone?
WTF, why headphones when I got a ghetto blaster with 9inch speakers.

I have a decent smartphone but I would rather watch OTA on my big screen at home that is what is there for. If I can't watch it at home I can't watch it online later over at the college. I agree with you fat air I like my youtube videos when I am waiting on my mom at her appointments.

Lastly, ATSC 3.0 is supposed to provide for better, easier reception with an antenna that we have now with ATSC 1.0. ...
Most of us moved to UHF antennas for the digital switch since it was SUPPOSED to be all UHF. Then with all the problems, the FCC allowed stations to move back to VHF-Hi. Fortunately, most UHF antennas can receive the VFH-Hi band reasonably well. Now with ATSC 3.0, many stations will be moving to VHF-Low which UHF antennas do not receive well. Time to switch back to the old style VHF/UHF antennas which we originally had before the digital switch. It's going to great that I will probably no longer be able to receive my local stations when they are forced to switch from the UHF band they are currently assigned to VHF-Low unless I purchase and install a new VHF/UHF antenna. In hindsight, I should of stayed with my 20 year old Channel Master VHF/UHF antenna.

Most of us moved to UHF antennas for the digital switch since it was SUPPOSED to be all UHF.
I don't think this is true. My local channel 2 moved back to channel 2 after they vacated the analog service. Same with my local channel 8.
Then with all the problems, the FCC allowed stations to move back to VHF-Hi.
What were some of these "problems" and how does that mesh with your implication that UHF is more desirable for TV broadcast?
Fortunately, most UHF antennas can receive the VFH-Hi band reasonably well.
I've not found this to be the case. There's a big jump in frequency between channel 14 (470MHz) and channel 13 (210MHz) and it is not necessarily a nice round harmonic.
Now with ATSC 3.0, many stations will be moving to VHF-Low which UHF antennas do not receive well.
After the repack, perhaps half of the 8VSB channels will already be there.
In hindsight, I should of stayed with my 20 year old Channel Master VHF/UHF antenna.
This is what happens when you fill your notebook with misconceptions. TVFool is more than just a tool for finding directions and power levels. It also offers information on where the stations are planning to move in the not-to-distant future.

I assume this is a typo for "channel 12". KATU is on channel 43.
Not a typo; a brain fart in the form of a "misrememberment". Actually, it is 8 (NBC), 10 (PBS) and 12 (Fox). We don't have any VHF low yet but the repack will likely change that and leave little room for ATSC 3.0 cohabitation. We have lots of channels (and a lot of translators) in the Portland market but there surely markets with considerably more.

Do you think there is any chance that a transition (whether voluntary or mandatory) is possible without driving most viewers away in the process?

I don't think this is true. My local channel 2 moved back to channel 2 after they vacated the analog service.
Same with my local channel 8.
https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Mass_Media/Notices/1996/fcc96317.txt
C. Spectrum for DTV

15. In the Second Report/Further Notice, we set forth a plan for implementing DTV
service. As part of that plan, we proposed to provide broadcasters with the temporary use
of a second channel for DTV operations, and we emphasized that at the end of the
transition period we would reclaim one of the two channels. In the Second Further
Notice, we proposed to locate all DTV allotments in the UHF band.
We indicated that
locating all DTV allotments in a single band would help reduce the cost of DTV receiving
equipment and reduce technical disparities between stations. We also stated that allotting
DTV channels only to UHF frequencies would leave the VHF band vacant after the
transition to DTV is completed and would make this band available for new radio services

Prior to the new and revised DTV allocation process (for Feb 2009), all the Baltimore stations were in the UHF band.
https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1082A2.pdf (See page 14)
As were the DC stations (Page 5)
And the Philly stations (Page 24)

NBCU Dallas O&Os Ready For Repack, ATSC 3.0 With New Transmitters

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/playout/...dy-for-repack-atsc-3-0-with-new-transmitters/

NBC O&O KXAS and co-owned KXTX (Telemundo) in Dallas-Fort Worth have selected a pair of Rohde & Schwarz 78kW solid-state UHF transmitters in preparation for the TV spectrum repack and ATSC 3.0.

The goal of the project, NBCUniversal said, was to supply twice the output power of the broadcaster’s old IOT transmitters to support Variable Polarization Technology (VPT), which NBCU selected for the stations’ new antenna.

The new R&S THU9 transmitters will continue to deliver 100% output power when switched to the ATSC 3.0 TV standard. The R&S THU9 can be rechanneled without going off air to replace amplifier components or to make the change, something that makes replacing a transmitter prior to receiving a new channel assignment more palatable.

The R&S THU9 can be rechanneled without going off air to replace amplifier components or to make the change, something that makes replacing a transmitter prior to receiving a new channel assignment more palatable.
It would appear that this assumes that the new channel assignment is necessarily UHF.

As there are at least 36 channels in the DFW area currently occupied by DTV broadcasts, drawing conclusions now strikes me as dangerous. Given a random distribution there would be a 41% chance that the channel will be VHF.

I anxiously await some insight on how they're going to fit 30 some stations in DTV together with a number of ATSC 3.0 broadcasts in 29 channels during some sort of transition.

Something has to give.

If NBC has not volunteered to move to VHF, then they will be assigned a new UHF channel. 100% chance they will be on UHF in that case.

- Trip

If NBC has not volunteered to move to VHF, then they will be assigned a new UHF channel.
What if nobody volunteers to move to VHF? There are just a couple of full-power VHF channels in the DFW market now.

There's also the issue of the DTV channels being short-lived (assuming ATSC 3.0 catches on) and the stations have to be thinking about where they'll be after an ATSC 3.0 transition.

Trip what would happen in the Fort Wayne market WFFT is at RF 36, WFWA RF 40 and WANE is at RF 31 whats going to happen their?

Trip what would happen in the Fort Wayne market WFFT is at RF 36, WFWA RF 40 and WANE is at RF 31 whats going to happen their?

They either get bought out if they put their stations in the hat, OR, they move to another frequency. None of us can know right now until this crazy government scheme (scam?) is completed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)