Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads and be part of our community! Registration is FREE!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!

Intermittent Sirius Signal

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Satellite Radio' started by Diamond Jim, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Diamond Jim

Diamond Jim Thread Starter SatelliteGuys Family

Today was cloudy, overcast and snowy. My Sirius signal was intermittent. I am assuming that this is like DVB signals, a little bad weather and poof it's gone. Everything was fine........until today. Hoping for some input.

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Sirius_Rich

Sirius_Rich Active SatelliteGuys Member Supporting Founder

I have been in a few severe East Texas thunderstorms and have not had any problems with reception. I'm talking about rain so hard you have to pull off the road. I have read on SiriusBackstage where members have had 2" of snow on their antennas and had no reception problems.

Your problem may be from a multitude of cicumstances. Try it again tomorrow and let us know. I assumed you checked the antenna connection and reseated your radio in the docking station.
  3. charper1

charper1 Bourbon Tester Supporting Founder

I have a buddy in St Louis and they get tons of clouds with heavy snows and rain. I was there around xmas with a near white out and his Sirius was perfect; then I bought one 2 days later.
  4. Diamond Jim

Okay, that's what I wanted to hear. Where do you guys have the antenna mounted on your vehicle? The Radio Shack guy told me to stick to the dashboard of my truck, it's been fine for 2 weeks, then yesterday it was off and on with the signal bar maxing out at 2, mostly on 1, it was always at 3. Oh yea, I have a JVC system. As for my home unit, I am in the area that the antenna is supposed to be outside, but I have had good luck with it pointed to the upper southwest corner of my den. All input will be appreciated.
  5. Sirius_Rich

Sirius_Rich Active SatelliteGuys Member Supporting Founder

I ran my antenna on my dashboard for 6 months. I did experience a few dropouts on certain routes (heavily wooded and narrow roads). When I purchased an in-dash unit I installed the antenna on the roof as recommended by Sirius. Those same routes produce no dropouts. I have also installed a friend's radio where I tested the signal strength. On the Kenwood H2A, the signal was 2 bars on the dash and 3 bars on the roof of the vehicle. The vehicle never moved.
  6. n0qcu

n0qcu Supporting Founder Supporting Founder

In the past two weeks I've had four occasions where my signal would be dropping out from three bars to no signal even while stationary.
  7. Diamond Jim

I figured that the roof is the best place to have the antenna, but I don't like the idea of it being exposed to the weather, even though they say it can be and I am to lazy to put it on and take it off every time I leave the truck. Besides, to me having someting like that on your roof perminate is an invatition to theives and I don't like loose wires exposed in the cab.