Apple Pay

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
The new iOS update 8.1 and the new form of payment "Apple Pay" go live in just a few hours!

I know, some of you are skeptical about Apple Pay, but personally I look forward to it and I am planning to start actively using it wherever it is accepted. In fact, the Touch ID coupled with Apple Pay is the main reason I have just upgraded my iPhone and my iPad.

Of course time will tell how widely the Apple Pay will be accepted and whether it's truly much more secure and convenient than a credit card. But if anyone can make this new form of payment work - it's Apple.

Here is what I really like about Apple Pay:

1. Convenience: Using the phone with its Touch ID fingerprint reader is easier than signing a credit card receipt or even entering a Zip-code at a gas station.

2. Security: Your credit card number is not stored on the phone or at Apple. It is only used initially to bind your device ID to your bank account. The CC number is not used during any purchase transactions: instead, some unique (one-time) numbers based on your device ID will be used for each transaction. Which means that even if someone gets access to all of your transaction information, they will not be able to use that for further transactions. Of course, time will tell if all these claims stay true for a long time, but I can't imagine this to be less secure than the current process of sending your credit card number and leaving your credentials with every merchant.

3. Privacy: Apple claims not to keep any records of your transactions and the merchant doesn't even get your name. Only your bank will have all the details, as always.

4. Acceptance: The list of banks and merchants already committed to Apple Pay is pretty impressive and is expected to grow very quickly.

Will Apple Pay replace credit cards? I don't think so. But I believe it will be a success and will become a popular form of payment with its share of the market. I was flying for business last week and I was amazed how many people are using their phones for their boarding passes. It's just convenient! I think paying with a phone will be pretty popular too!

Ilya

Last edited:
Haven't seen if paying for gas could be an option with Apple Pay.
Anyone on board?

Haven't seen if paying for gas could be an option with Apple Pay.
Anyone on board?
Currently it's Chevron and Texaco. BJ's has gas stations too.

Last edited:
I am downloading the 8.1 update to test it out. I think it will be a hit eventually. Just will take a lot more merchants to get CC terminals with NFC ability.

Downloading it too. It just showed up in the past hour or so...

Card enrollment was pretty straightforward. The first card you enroll becomes your default card. (This can be changed later.)

I am trying to add my credit card. It accepts the card and brings me to the verification window then after about 30 seconds it tells me Verification is not available, try again in a few minutes... been trying for awhile now.

Is your bank on the list?

Just made my first Apple Pay purchase at Walgreens! Just bring the phone close to the pay terminal and keep your finger on the home button! "Beep" and you are done! Can't get much easier that that!

Reactions: stimpson
When I scanned one of my cards it only read the number and nothing else...

I am trying to add my credit card. It accepts the card and brings me to the verification window then after about 30 seconds it tells me Verification is not available, try again in a few minutes... been trying for awhile now.

A kid I teach tried adding his debit card and got the same message.
Local bank. Visa card.
I thought all Visa and MasterCard were good to go regardless the bank?

What I found interesting is that my various Chase cards all worked except the Amazon co-branded card.

Just made my first Apple Pay purchase at Walgreens! Just bring the phone close to the pay terminal and keep your finger on the home button! "Beep" and you are done! Can't get much easier that that!
So do you need to tell the cashier anything? For instance, debit or credit? Or is it as simple as holding your phone up to the scanner when she gives you a total?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm still on 7. Any recommendations to hold off or dive in on 8.1 for an iPhone 5 and an iPad 3? It seemed the original 8 was best left alone.

So do you need to tell the cashier anything? For instance, debit or credit? Or is it as simple as holding your phone up to the scanner when she gives you a total?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You bring up passbook and select the card if you like, then touch the iPhone to the pad and the charge appears on your iphone and you then touch the fingerprint reader to approve. If you are trusting you can have your finger on the fingerprint reader as you touch the pad and it takes less than a second to do the transaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts