Is Dish Spying on me?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Not to get off topic from the Dish Network fourm. You be tracked no matter what you do any more not just Dish Network spying on every one. You use a bank card, credit card, make a phone call, got to a web site on the net, and even watching tv. The stuff you do gets loged and goes to some kind of computer/server/data base/internet some where, and some one is watching all of this stuff. Every one or almost every one has a cell phone now and all if not most cell phones have GPS built in them and you can be tracked where ever you go, and I am sure it goes to some kind of data base or server. Long story short, You can be tracked no matter what.

When is the fitting for the tin foil hat?

Really...

I am not certain the IRD number is part of the agragate info.

Again, it could be, but I don't think that is included in the released info.

See ya
Tony
Yes, it is. The stb_health XML file v2.1 has been posted here.
I could try to obtain latest v3.1 if you wish.

Courts ruled a while back that the same law that protects you when you rent videos apply to your activities on cable (and probably would follow to satellite). It is illegal for them to disclose your purchases to third parties. They can of course combine your data with others in a non personally identifying way and sell that to advertisers. Dish could tell an advertiser that people in your zip code for instance perhaps skip their ad 99.9999% of the time...

Dude, EVERYONE is spying on you. Unfortunately, Dish's data gathering is among the most benign. The U.S. government's ECHELON program is frightening: every wireless communication, wired phone call and fax transmission IN THE WORLD is captured, among other things. You are tracked every time, you use the internet and since 9-11 the ISP's have happily made this easier for our government. CCTV at many public transit and train stations. Of course, it makes sense for Dish to track you because they have to charge you for services. The same can not be said regarding ECHELON or similar programs.

Tivo done it for years then sold it to "neilson. They collect your info, then SELL it to the advertisers. That is the TRUE reason for phone line connection. A source of revenue!!!!!
Heck with TIVO they MAKE you pay them for the DVR service then sell the info they collect from you. When I saw the new dish privacy statement, and the "unidentifiable info" clause I posted about it then but was no taken seriously..

Tivo lets you opt out, with Dish you'll just have to unplug the phoneline.

TinFoil_DB52B2F1-0E7F-A983-F0F9D799A20B06C8.jpg

Why oh why is my food and water dispenser involving me in his dorky-ness ? :(

Privacy?

Can anyone show me where the U.S. Constitution says we're entitled to any privacy and that no one has the right to collect information on us?

Although this has been brought up many times over the years, no one has been able to find anything in the Constitution that guarantees privacy. And, if you're not doing anything illegal, who gives a rat's patooty?

I guess it all depends on your definition of whom this little sentense was written for and what is really meant by "seized":

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Tivo lets you opt out, with Dish you'll just have to unplug the phoneline.

But with the broadband access on the receivers, like the way mine is set up without a phone line, will the data still go to dish? I'd bet money it does.

To Agonizing Fury,

Bottom line is, yes, they are spying on you. It's legal and there is nothing you can do about it so chill out and get on with your life. There is no such thing as privacy in the 21st century.

Can anyone show me where the U.S. Constitution says we're entitled to any privacy and that no one has the right to collect information on us?

Although this has been brought up many times over the years, no one has been able to find anything in the Constitution that guarantees privacy.

U.S. Constitution. Amendment 4:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

And, if you're not doing anything illegal, who gives a rat's patooty?

That is the single most disturbing thing I've heard and it gets more frightening, the more people I hear say it. More and more people have become OK with a surveillance society. Let me spell this out for you. Whether or not you are doing anything wrong, the government has NO BUSINESS mucking about in your private affairs. That's the attitude the Soviets had. "Privacy is not in keeping with the public good." was a common phrase. Hey, if you're really doing nothing wrong, then you should have no problem with cameras being in your bathroom, toilet and bedrooms, and you shouldn't care who's monitoring them, as long as you're doing nothing wrong. Also, remember this. What you're doing isn't NOW illegal, but who's to say it won't be? When a government can monitor everything you're doing, what's to stop them from ciminalizing or coming after people who hold viewpoints which threaten those in power? Monitoring people in the opposition party or activist groups, then trumping up charges on those who may be a threat to their staying in office. Don't think that can happen here? Then you're hopelessly naïve. It happens all over the world, and it can happen here. You give people that much power and watch what happens.

"The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."
-Ayn Rand

That said, you really ought to come visit us in the Pit to continue this. I have a feeling this thread has already gone off course.

I think you guy are really jabbing the OP hard for asking a legitimate question and taking the time to post about his experience here. Any time someone is collecting information from me, about me, or about what I do, I'd like to know what that information contains.

Now.... that being said.... this is the information age. Companies collect aggregate data in a variety of ways all the time. If it's for their OWN use internally for the purpose of maintenance or improving service or features.... go for it.

When they start SHARING that collected data with someone else, then I think it's perfectly legitimate to want to know exactly what it is they are sharing, HOW it's being shared, with whom, and for what purpose.
I believe in our society, people are less accepting to unsolicited sales pitches and the like. Most folks just want to be left alone. The national do not call registry is an example of this.
Companies know this so they look for ways to gather information to facilitate marketing to their customer base and acquire new customers.

Although this has been brought up many times over the years, no one has been able to find anything in the Constitution that guarantees privacy. And, if you're not doing anything illegal, who gives a rat's patooty?

Judge Robert Bork a former Supreme Court justice nominee was denied an appointment to the Court because he said could not find a right to privacy in the US Constitution. Civil rights activists went ballsitic over Bork's opinion.
The 4th amendment guarantees the right of an indvidual to be secure in their person and papers...Here is the text of Amendment IV..
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Says nothing about privacy. But this is the Amendment most cited in a privacy issues.
Privacy is a broad term and I can see a can of worms that goes with it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)