Is Dish Tweaking Season 'Officially' Over?

I tweak my dishes.....

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA4PA

Satellite Guys Family
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 13, 2013
Central Pennsylvania
With 'Old Man Winter' fast on the way (or here already for some of us), is dish tweaking season over where you live? Reply to the poll and post your comments or stories to let us know just how devoted you are to your FTA setup.:)
Snowy Dishes.jpg

Not for me -- rain or shine, snow or ice, I'll be out there! :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
Nope!
I have a GEOSATpro 90 cm dish and Sadoun DG380B PowerTech Motor scheduled to arrive via Fedex later today. (Pole & wiring went in the ground in October.) High temperature tomorrow is predicted to be 25 F and there are 2" of snow on the ground . I WILL be 'out there'.

EDIT 1:20 PM Motor arrived. I ordered a Sadoun DG380B but they shipped a Stab90. I've got no complaint about that! Stab crank angle is 30 degrees??? Rats! Pole dia is 2.875" - too large for the motor clamp (2.67 max). Looks like I've got some work to do. Done! Fits! The U-bolts aren't quite the same diameter in their center sections.

Last edited:
I won't tune in the rain or snow, TV and receiver don't like it.
Cold, heat or darkness, no problem.
My favorite time is at night, It is the only chance I get to sit in the yard and watch TV!

images.jpg

Guess I'm the first wimp. Done with the tune up's on the fixed dishes. That is unless we get some really nice day and a change of assignments for a dish is necessary. High of +1F today. Wind chill hovering around -20F. And it's not even what would be considered windy .

I've already posted my thoughts numerous times. I worked on the dish farm in all weather. Sure there were times I thought about "do I really need to do this" but I did. When it got too cold though the equipment stayed in the house and I just ran a cable out on the deck to the dish in question

I'm done playing with the dishes for the season. I have lots of indoor FTA projects to keep me happy. But repairs are performed as needed.

Thought that the dish pointed at 125w needed tweaking but since the leaves have all fallen reception has improved. Will give it a rest for a while.

NOPE! (as someone else said!) If it's not WAY cold, and not way deep in snow, I still have one dish to align and add to the electronic center of my FTA life. the pole and the dish are in place, but it's only purpose in life so far has been to be a weather vane, turning with the high winds of late. Hope to get it aimed before the "dead" of winter and add one more channel. C-band stuff? Still need some grease for cold weather on the one motorized birdview.

Reactions: Mr Tony and FTA4PA
Since I started this thread I figured I'd post these. I tried to watch tv last night but was only getting some ku, so went out around 1:15am to clean the snow off the dishes. It had stopped snowing earlier but, of course, had started again when I went out. Found about 4" of wet snow/ice stuck to the face of the c band dish (total here was 6.5"). You can't see it from the picture but snow was piled up on the lnb arm of the ku dish and almost touching bottom of the lnb.
Before:(:
100_2087.JPG

After:):
100_2088.JPG

Well at least in Albuquerque we do not get much snow here, long it's not nasty canyon winds coming in and the temperature do not drop below 40*F!:)

I all way keep treaking and turning for the perfection of the arc!

There hasn't been enuff worth watching so I haven't done much with my dishes - I spend most of my time watching movies and TV shows on Netflix. The 1-meter Ku dish needs re-peaking. My 12' KTI dish still performs great even though it has been pummeled by hail. My old 12' Paraclipse is still out on the pole but it needs to be replaced - it's not worth my time and money to replace all of the panels (major hail and wind damage). I'd like to replace the Paraclipse with another antenna that mounts on a 3.5 inch pole. Don't know if I'll ever buy a new dish again and I haven't found a used 12 footer within 100 miles. Today's TV shows and movies are mostly disappointing.

Was out this evening,-15, replacing a diseqc switch... forgot to turn off the receiver... at least I had a spare.
Hot coffee + ceramic cup = functional hand warmer!
Wasn't that bad, was -25 yesterday... Like the Cable Guy says "Git er done!" :)

Switch... Guess I have a spare receiver too, but problem wasn't that severe! Blew out one port on the diseqc, serves me right for not turning things off. I know better but after getting all the cold weather gear and snow boots on it seemed too much of a chore to run back inside and pull the plug. Combination of laziness and stupidity. :)

Switch... Guess I have a spare receiver too, but problem wasn't that severe! Blew out one port on the diseqc, serves me right for not turning things off. I know better but after getting all the cold weather gear and snow boots on it seemed too much of a chore to run back inside and pull the plug. Combination of laziness and stupidity. :)

Know what you mean. Last weekend, when it was time to remove the meter connected between the motor and LNBF I took that chance. It was cold, my feet were muddy, I had a spare LNBF, - time to test fate. Just wish I had remembered to peak the LNBF position before yanking out the meter.

Supposed to get into the upper +20's F the next few days, (although, at this time, their forecast highs haven't appeared) holding hope to put the multi LNBF on the 1.0m (99 & 103 - yeah only 4 degrees) think it should be possible. Or the 1.0m will go to 125w and a 1.2 for 99 and 103. Can only make those kind of changes before that white stuff takes over.
EDIT: mid 30's to 40 expected. downright balmy.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)