Is my 722k dying?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

richeydog

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
CA
After turning on the tv for the past 3 mornings I noticed that I wasn't getting a signal from the 722k. Just a blank screen. So, I opened the front panel(each time) and pressed the power button to reboot.

Upon rebooting, I see this message on the screen: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-...AAAABNs/RH-fdWhgums/w667-h500-no/CAM00040.jpg

This morning, after seeing that message and rebooting the device, I now see this message: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/9d6IJCxVD49ADQsO4UHXL4dBf6eZXP-VTU3iC0I-ZKA=w667-h500-no

What do I need to do to solve this? Help!!! :)

Is the receiver on a hard surface or enclosed/near other equipment? Let the receiver finish the recovery process and see if anything changes. It shouldn't take more than 4 hours to complete. Is the receiver plugged into a surge protector or power strip?

The receiver is on a hard surface in an enclosed entertainment center. I have a bluray player and denon avr receiver nearby, but they are rarely on. The receiver is plugged in to a power strip. I've had this receiver since 4/15/13.

It has been in recovery for about 3 hours now.

If it doesn't finish by about 4 hours, try removing it from the power strip and plugging directly into the wall. If the problem continues, we'll probably need to get a replacement receiver out there for this.

Thanks for the advice, Tommy. If it doesn't recover in a hour or so I will plug it directly into a wall outlet. I'll give an update in a few hours.

I have seen the recovery process take over 12 hours. IF you do anything, that hinders it and it all starts over. Just don't touch the receiver at all until it comes up by itself.

Do what I did, buy one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106140 to plug it into the front usb jack, and set it on the back left rear corner, angled to blow into that vent. It has a knob you can turn to adjust the speed. I took my temps from my VIP722k 140F average, down to 107F. It works very well if placed right.

I have seen the recovery process take over 12 hours. IF you do anything, that hinders it and it all starts over. Just don't touch the receiver at all until it comes up by itself.

Do what I did, buy one of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106140 to plug it into the front usb jack, and set it on the back left rear corner, angled to blow into that vent. It has a knob you can turn to adjust the speed. I took my temps from my VIP722k 140F average, down to 107F. It works very well if placed right.
Thanks for the info. I'll definitely be shopping for a fan.

And i guess i will leave the 722k alone for now.

Putting a heat generating electronic device in an enclosed entertainment center is kind of like making an oven. :)

Putting a heat generating electronic device in an enclosed entertainment center is kind of like making an oven. :)
I have mine all stacked on top and side by side, but on an entertainment table that I created. Air flow is great, but I absolutely will have to resort to a cooling fan if my AvR ever wants to create more heat.

Get the receiver as far away from the AVR that you can. I had the same thing happen to me many years ago. Came home from a summer vacation. Had not put the central air on and room temp was 90. 722 was above the avr. and got the same warning messag. Worked once it cooled down, but the damage was done. It failed.
If you get it to work, attach an ehd and download everything you can before it fails.

I have mine all stacked on top and side by side, but on an entertainment table that I created. Air flow is great, but I absolutely will have to resort to a cooling fan if my AvR ever wants to create more heat.

I've got a bunch of components in 3 stacks all in the open with a whisper fan blowing across them. Gotta keep the electronics cool.

I've opened entertainment centers in some customers' houses and felt the blasts of hot air come out of them, kind of like an oven. I will not install new equipment in a closed entertainment center and I strongly recommend to customers that they not do it either.

I've got a bunch of components in 3 stacks all in the open with a whisper fan blowing across them. Gotta keep the electronics cool.

I've opened entertainment centers in some customers' houses and felt the blasts of hot air come out of them, kind of like an oven. I will not install new equipment in a closed entertainment center and I strongly recommend to customers that they not do it either.
Oh I fully agree. I am careful with it. Like I said, fully open on 4 sides. Only ones not fully open is one side, and the bottom(for obvious reasons). I will always recommend against doing what I am doing, but I am also monitoring it closely for the last 3 years.

A quick note about the AVR. It is not in the same compartment as the 722k. The entertainment center has two glass doors with a solid piece of wood in between. As far as I can tell, there isn't any heat escaping from the AVR to the 722k's compartment. See attached photo.

CAM00043.jpg

Also, 7 hours have gone by and still no change. The red status bars are still at 5.

Attachments

• CAM00040.jpg
    CAM00040.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 177
The 722K generates it's own heat and should not be in a totally enclosed space.

Looks like you have a wooden oven there.

7 hours have gone by and still no change. The red status bars are still at 5.

I predict it will stay there forever, and keep doing that every time you try the power cord reset. Try flipping the separator cables going to TV1 and 2 inputs, and see if it completes in a reasonable 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: the mack