Is my ROKU obsolete?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

andy_horton

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 28, 2010
Northwest Georgia
I have had my ROKU for 2 years. It is a ROKU 2. I have never had any problems with it and love YouTube on it. I can join YouTube from my smartphone or laptop which is really cool. Does anyone know the life expectancy of a ROKU? And what are the differences spec wise on a ROKU 3 vs what I have? More memory or runs faster? On HSN the other night I saw a ROKU with headphone jacks on the remote. Pretty cool!! Thanks, Andy

It stops working and i wanna know if there is a way to make it work withour using my credit card

"Stops working" tells us nothing. I've owned one since early this year, never paid a dime since then, and it's still working.

1: How does it "stop working". Or what do you mean?
2: How do you get it working again temporarily, what steps do you take?

You need to tell us more, before we have a clue what you mean by saying that it "stops working".

My 2 continues to work just fine. Many devices now include streaming for the most popular channels, and that limits the popularity of the Roku.

The Roku has the ability for the user to add channels though, and that is uncommon. It is what makes the Roku a valuable addition. The USER gets to decide what channels are available.

I wanna know the steps to make it work without paying a dime just u you said

Taru, are you talking about a single pay channel, like HBO GO or Netflix? If so, you probably aren't going to get much help here. Satelliteguys has a strict policy of not supporting piracy, and that is what receiving a channel without paying for it boils down to.

There are hundreds of free channels available on ROKU. Others require a paid subscription. Most of us pay for a few we want, and then fill in with the free ones.

ON the original topic...Remembering the odd model numbering scheme Roku used.... Whether your unit is a "2" with suffix letters,(like 2-XS) " or the newer "2" (no suffix) it's probably just fine for most everything you'd want unless you're a "power user"needing the latest audio streaming format via Tune-In Radio. About a year ago, when the "Roku 2-XS (note the suffix) units were offered refurbished I bought a couple. They have all the functions I need, and enough channel storage for me. I still enjoy both of them daily. They even handle the app nicely for my "Tablo" over the air PVR in each room, which I was surprised they could! The NEWER "2" with the (orange box) is excellent if you don't want to spend the bucks on the "3"....and, it still offers hookups to standard older TV's with composite audio/video, and now even has the headphone capability on the remote. A nice unit.

I still own, and still USE an ORIGINAL first-model Roku box from 2009 on one of my sets, but I recognize that this box will not have the loading/processing speed, nor the channel capability (storage/processor type) of the newer boxes. Life expectancy you asked? From a hardware standpoint, unlimited if the Roku is not hurt by something like a power surge, or a physical issue. From a "what can I stream" standpoint, the newer boxes will allow you more channels stored, faster response, and overall better performance, and some additional channels which are not compatible with the original series of Rokus.

Scott G. would remember my being angry at Roku for their constant upgrading...and making me feel like my old boxes were outdated immediately when bought. (The 2-XS was new to me when the new "2" came out.) I have come, however to realize that he was right when he posted a year or so ago that for the minimal cost of these "hockey puck" boxes they're an excellent value when the new ones come out..and really, how much more can they shove IN to them now? They're probably the best value in a streaming box available to the consumer today by virtue of WHAT they can deliver to you, and I'm probably their biggest fan, having had one since they were new, and always having been impressed with what they deliver on my screen in quality and variety!

I will say, however...that my original roku seems to have the best wifi antenna of all of the models I've tried.....and can pull a signal most anywhere without repositioning the box, where the newer ones can be a bit more picky..but always seem to work, regardless.

So, for me, it's ONE original 2009 Roku in my office, , (2) Roku-2XS units for living room and bedroom, ONE Roku-1 basic in the kitchen, and one newer Roku-2 with the headphones for the "game" room of the radio station. ....oh, yes, "And a partridge, in a pear tree!"

Sorry to make this so long...I shouldn't respond to threads when drinking morning coffee.......

Beats the Hell out of me why anybody would pay another person for getting anything turned on for their Roku. There's nothing on any paid app, that doesn't have a FREE app that gets the same thing.

That dude was scamming you from the start!

I'm figuring he was doing shared subscriptions to Netflix or Amazon prime. Perhaps paying a bit for an HBO Go or other cable only service password which you can't get unless you subscribe to cable.

I've had my Roku 3 freeze at times,I just unplug it then plug it back in to reboot,it works again after that.. As far as Roku 2 goes,I've just found out that NHL Game Center won't work on it anymore,it will only work with Roku 3 now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts