Janeil Dark Star- Need spur gear

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Freddie101

Original poster
May 2, 2009
Florida
Hi, I am new at this so please be patient. This looks like a really good group.
I have a 10' mesh Janeil Dark Star and the spur gear stripped and I have not been able to locate one any where. I took it to a local foundry and they could make one out of aluminum for $1200.00. I couldn't belive it either. If anyone has a lead on the spur gear it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Freddie101

:welcome to the group
maybe turbosat can take a picture of his , i think he had a Janeil Dark Star
may the force be with you ! ( sorry with the name of that dish i just had to do it :D )

Spur Gear

I hope the photos are ok.
Thanks again

Attachments

• Dish Mover01.jpg
    Dish Mover01.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 667
  • Spur gear,1.jpg
    Spur gear,1.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 550
  • Spur gear,2.jpg
    Spur gear,2.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 515
well i think finding parts is going to be tough have you thought about options, maybe taking a flywheel and cutting it in half and bolting the two pieces together.

Freddie101 said:
I took it to a local foundry and they could make one out of aluminum for $1200.00.
if the one you have is worn badly a aluminum one won't last very long.

George my old Janeil came down hurriedly early last year LOL. it was a 12' and mostly plastic , didn't have one of those fancy drives on it either. Still got some pieces and mesh but most of it was falling apart so I took it out. Wish I had something to help him but I don't. (12 hundred? whew, musta been union prices!)_

The one with the stripped gears is a black plastic or carbon fiber. I'm not sure but it did last 15 years. I've have not seen anything in my search that I could use to repair it. Thanks, Freddie101

i've been looking at a lot of sites but no luck yet.

one thing you can consider is a adjustment so the worm drive will hit closer to the sides ( one or the other where the gear teeth are whole) this could probably be done with spacers or washers.

another thing to consider is you might want to check and grease the pivot points of the dish and check the bearings/ bushings. this would allow the dish to move freely. after 15 years a worn bushing might have contributed to the wear of the gear

I have already removed bearings (pivot and worm gear) cleaned and lubricated them. They were not tight and I tried adjusting the worm gear closer. When it nears G1 it slips and the dish hits the ground. That is not a good scene.
Thanks for looking. All help is appreciated.

I have a Radio Shack Dish that is the exact same mount as pictured. I too had the problem with the spur gear wearing out. There are two things that I was able to do, one I flipped the gear over and cut some spacers for the screw holes to act as stand-offs. This way I was able to use the unworn portion of the gear, I'm able to go from 83w to 137w. I also found a fellow in California who had a few of these dishes, and ordered a spare gear (used) from him. I'll try to remember to check on his name, address and phone number tonight and post it tomorrow.

Freddie, contact Brent at Brent's Technical Services, 133 E. Line St, Bishop CA 93514. Phone 760-873-3688

Sorry It took so long, always seems like everything I want to do gets shoved aside by the things I don't want to do.

Last edited:
Freddie - I know you've been focusing on getting a fix to the old dish.
But now, it appears that's not in the cards.
So, let me repeat what I said to a fellow in another thread, who asked about making his own dish.
It applies here equally:
Living in most of North America, there is always an unused BUD to be found somewhere.
By careful shopping, I found two of the nicest dishes you could imagine, both with H-H mounts!
Just ask for it, haul it away, and set it up.
. . . and if you'll check his thread, you'll see what sort of a dish he ran across within just a few days of looking.
I thought I'd wet my pants when I read about it! - :D

My problem with that is I have two severely herniated disk in my low back and I am limited in my lifting abilities. I don'y expect to find the gear but I will find a solution. When I do I will let you know.
Your advice is good and if I were thirty years younger I would have done exactly that.
Thanks,
Freddie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)