Joey has no Internet connectivity via MOCA

Discussion in 'The Hopper Zone' started by wah001, Mar 17, 2012.

1. wah001

wah001 Thread Starter New Member

I had 1 Hopper and 1 Joey installed today to replace a 722k.
    I have Ethernet connected to the Hopper and am able to access the internet features. However the Joey is unable to use any feature that requires the internet.
    The devices are paired and I can playback from the DVR and watch TV on the Joey.
    The MOCA status on both devices shows as "Failed" and has a 169.x.x.x ip address.
    If I run ethernet to the Joey I get all the missing features back.

Anyone else have this problem or have any clue on how to fix it?

2. isaacmorseMI

isaacmorseMI SatelliteGuys Family

Hmmm... According to Dish the Ethernet port on the Joey is not active as of now.... Did you try hard resetting both the Joey and Hopper?

Attached Files:

3. wah001

Yes, Hard reset on both the Hopper and Joey. The Ethernet on the Joey works as thats the only way I can get it to access the internet.
    When i plug it in the Ethernet drop down on the Network Setup page becomes blue and it gets an IP Address from my router.

4. DustoMan

DustoMan Active SatelliteGuys Member
    Pub Member / Supporter

Make sure your router has enough IP addresses to hand out one to the Joey.

Under the MoCA Network setup menu, hitting Reset Network will bring the entire MoCA network down and then up again. Reset Connection will just reset the Joey.

5. wah001

Thanks, I have plenty of DHCP addresses available. We tried resetting the connection and the network numerous times to no avail.

6. Tyralak

Tyralak SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

Don't worry too much about this. Right now, the Joeys are going to say they aren't connected to the Internet. That's not a problem, since the Hopper is, and the Hopper is what's serving the information to the Joeys.

7. wah001

The problem is I can not use any of the features on the Joey that require the Internet.

8. verdomme

verdomme New Member

I just had a 1 Hopper 2 Joey system installed today and have the same problem. The Hopper is able to see Blockbuster & On Demand content, but the Joey's cannot. The Joey's just flash the seven green dots accross the screen like its trying to search for content, eventually times out and returns to tv program.

My hopper is connected to the Internet via the top ethernet port. I have 90 IP's free on my router.

9. Tyralak

Tyralak SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

OK. That's a different issue than I was thinking about.

Skytrooper likes this.
  10. DBS Commando

DBS Commando PIT MEMBER

You need the Hopper Internet Connector for it to work.

Login to your dish account and click "Order From Store" and you should then see the Hopper Internet Connector for $25

11. verdomme

verdomme New Member

I did a network reset (Broadband Menu) on my Hopper and then reset both Joey's by holding the power button down.

Blockbuster and On Demand both work now on the Joey's. Streaming 30 minutes or less movie on my Joey w/o a HIC now.

12. stimpson

stimpson Miller Lite Tester
    Pub Member / Supporter

No. You do not.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

13. myron243

myron243 Active SatelliteGuys Member

Thank you. However, the DLNA on the Joey still doesn't see anything and on the Hopper which was seeing everything it only sees 3 devices now. Oh well. Trials and tribulations of early adapters, yes? :D

14. Mike Russo

Mike Russo Member

Same issue here, tech gave up on getting MoCa to work and used a usb wifi thing on my Joey.
    Hopefully a software update fixes this.

15. sparc

sparc Active SatelliteGuys Member

16. bmallen1

bmallen1 New Member

I'm also having this problem. Just had 1H/2J installed yesterday. Only a WiFI connection on the hopper works, neither ethernet ports work, the hopper won't get an IPAddress from my router. I have no internet connectivity on the Joeys via MoCa. I'm gonna try hard resetting everything, via the power button and possibly the plug, to see if their settings refresh.

Either way I think a firmware update is needed from Dish to fix these issues.

17. fixit5561

fixit5561 New Member

I was doing an internet search for this and found this thread. I chatted with a dish rep and they told me how to get internet with the joey's.I hope this wasnt already answered and Im not just being redundant but here goes anyway.

You dont need to have a wired connection with the joeys to your modem or router. As long as you have an internet connection with the hopper you can try this to fix your problem.

Hit Menu,
    go to settings,
    go to network setup,
    go to broadband,
    go to network details,
    click on bridging,
    then enable,
    then save your settings.

After this, a screen will pop up saying that it is configuring your network settings. After that scren another will pop up and then you are done and will have wireless connetivity from the joeys to your internet connection that you have with the hopper and all your apps will work properly.

Hope I didnt reserect a post that has been dead for too long. LOL But it may help someone since this thread did come up on a goggle search that I did for this very problem.

18. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST SatelliteGuys Family
    Pub Member / Supporter

Yeah the method to enable bridging changed in the recent software updates. You're spot on. Good work!

Though I will note, the Joey is getting it's Internet thru MoCA (coax) rather than wireless.

19. Nick Mackey

Nick Mackey New Member

Technically it's still wireless since the Hopper is getting its connection via wifi then sending it to the Joey

20. Bobby

Bobby Publican
    Supporting Founder

via wire through MoCA so, no, it is not wireless....

VigLink badge
Sucuri