Kurt Sutter’s ‘Bastard Executioner’ on FX

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

whitewolf8214

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
May 13, 2004
Space
Kurt Sutter’s ‘Bastard Executioner’ Heads to Series at FX
Kurt Sutter’s period drama “The Bastard Executioner” is “heading” to series.FX has given a 10-episode order to the drama created by the “Sons of Anarchy” creator about a Late Middle Ages warrior knight who gets pulled back into fighting just when he thought he was out. Lee Jones plays titular executioner Wilkin Brattle, a warrior knight in King Edward I’s charge.Sutter wrote the pilot. He is exec producing along with Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo and Paris Barclay. Barclay directed the pilot. Sutter also appears in the series, along with his wife, Katey Sagal, Stephen Moyer, Flora Spencer-Longhurst and Sam Spruell. The cast also includes Darren Evans, Danny Sapani, Timothy V. Murphy, Sarah White, Sarah Sweeney, Elen Rhys, Ethan Griffiths and Matthew Rhys.“I love history. I love theology. I love blood. It’s been very satisfying weaving fact and fiction to create a new mythology that combines all these elements,” Sutter said. “And with this extraordinary cast — Stephen Moyer, Katey Sagal and newcomer, Lee Jones — this world explodes on screen. I love working with FX and Fox21TVS. They’ve been my family for 15 years. They not only tolerate me, they embrace my extremely disturbing storytelling sensibilities.”John Landgraf, CEO of FX Networks and FX Productions, made the announcement and cited Sutter’s long history with the channel.“From his important contributions to ‘The Shield’ to his epic run on ‘Sons of Anarchy,’ Kurt has been one of FX’s most visionary artists, and we are proud to get him back on the air so soon after the unquestionable success of Sons,” said Landgraf. “’The Bastard Executioner’ has lined up an extraordinary creative team, with Brian Grazer, Francie Calfo and Paris Barclay joining Kurt as executive producers and an amazing cast led by Katey Sagal, Stephen Moyer and Lee Jones in the signature role as the Executioner himself. We knew they could deliver something special and, under the expert direction of Paris, they did just that. The fans can’t wait for the first season, and neither can we.”Fox Television Group chair-CEOs Gary Newman and Dana Walden’s Fox 21 TV Studios will produce the project with FX Productions.“Kurt Sutter and Brian Grazer have been spectacular creative partners — and dear friends — to our studio for years, and their collaboration has resulted in a fantastic and epic new series,” the duo said. “The Bastard Executioner, written by Kurt and directed by the talented Paris Barclay, is dangerous, brilliant, emotional and undeniable. This is the perfect follow-up to ‘Sons’ and another huge event series for FX from Fox 21TVS and FXP. Viewers are in for a wild and spellbinding ride.”The pilot was recently completed in Wales. Production will resume this summer before airing on FX this fall. https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/kurt-sutter-bastard-executioner-heads-series-fx-180015685.html

Kurt Sutter's 'Bastard Executioner' Trailer Comes Out Swinging https://www.yahoo.com/tv/bastard-executioner-trailer-comic-con-kurt-sutter-124091833245.html
The Bastard Executioner - Vengeance: FIRST TRAILER....Nothing to lose. Nothing more dangerous. The FIRST TRAILER for Kurt Sutter’s new FX series The Bastard Executioner is here.
ABOUT THE BASTARD EXECUTIONER
The Bastard Executioner is a blood-soaked, medieval epic that tells the story of Wilkin Brattle, a 14th century warrior, whose life is forever changed when a divine messenger beseeches him to lay down his sword and lead the life of another man: a journeyman executioner. Set in northern Wales during a time rife with rebellion and political upheaval, Wilkin must walk a tight rope between protecting his true identity while also serving a mysterious destiny.Guided by Annora, a mystical healer whose seeming omniscience keeps Wilkin under her sway; manipulated by Milus Corbett, a devious Chamberlain with grand political aspirations; and driven by a deepening connection with the Baroness Lady Love, Wilkin struggles to navigate political, emotional and supernal pitfalls in his quest to understand his greater purpose.
.... The first trailer for The Bastard Executioner, the drama from Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter that will premiere on FX this fall, has finally (officially) hit the Internet.For some who followed the making of the pilot on social media, the :30 promo for the story of a warrior knight (Lee Jones) in King Edward I’s charge who is broken by the ravages of war and vows to lay down his sword — but then picks up the bloodiest one of all for vengeance — may feel a bit anticlimactic. We’d already seen images of gorgeously lit night shots in the forest, Katey Sagal looking very un-Gemma Teller-like as the long, gray-haired mystic Annora of the Alders, and Stephen Moyer (Chamberlain/Chancellor/Justiciar Milus Corbett) sporting sexy facial hair that Bill Compton wouldn’t — not to mention the official first look photo of Jones wielding a sword.

Kurt Sutter Defends Violence in ‘Bastard Executioner’: Brutality Is Not ‘Openly Gratuitous’ https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/kurt-sut...tard-executioner-brutality-not-230040011.html
“Bastard Executioner” creator Kurt Sutter was prodded to speak to the violence in his upcoming fall drama at FX’s Television Critics’ Assn. press day Friday when a reporter compared the “colorful brutality” to the highly controversial scenes in “Game of Thrones.“Nothing wrong with colorful brutality,” Sutter joked, then defending the inclusion of violence in the medieval-set series about an executioner.“My mandate, as it was on ‘Sons of Anarchy,’ is same for this — the violence, as absurd as it could be sometimes on ‘Sons,’ it always came from an organic place and it was never done in a vacuum. To every violent act, there were ramifications. That’s sort of my same mandate here.”Sutter expressed that the show’s time period lends itself to violence, saying, “Yes, it’s a medieval setting, and their laws, in terms of punishment, were brutal and heinous, so that’s a reality of the world.”He continued, “There are ways to portray that violence that don’t make it openly gratuitous, so I sort have the same mandate with this show. Anything that happens, be it battle sequences of an execution or a torture scene, it comes out of story, and once we see the characters’ conflict or, as importantly, their non-conflict in carrying forth that violence, it always has some ramification, whether it be an emotional ramification on the character or somehow, it impacts the narrative.”

It starts next Tuesday the 15th and am curious about this one another Kurt Sutter show after great job on S.O.A wonder how this one will turn out!!:)

Kurt Sutter Q&A: Diving Into The 14th Century For ‘The Bastard Executioner’; A ‘Sons Of Anarchy’ Prequel And Spinoff https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/kurt-sutter-q-diving-14th-171012874.html
His FX series Sons Of Anarchy ran seven seasons, drawing larger ratings each year, pushing the envelope on violence, sex and lawlessness and the notion hourlong series episodes should end on time. Kurt Sutter has gone medieval for his follow-up, The Bastard Executioner. It’s set way back in 14th century Wales, when monarchs held subjects in a cruel iron grip to keep power, and traveling executioners were useful tools to enforce their rule. Sutter has brought along for this ride wife Katey Sagal, who moves seamlessly from the manipulative mother of Sons‘ leader Jax Teller to Annora, a conniving witch/healer who once again appears to be pulling the strings of the title character, played by newcomer Lee Jones. She does this with help from The Dark Mute, a horribly disfigured character played by Sutter himself. It seems like an inside joke that Sutter’s playing a mute, right after his Sons‘ character Otto bit off his tongue. After all, Sutter is the most outspoken show creator in the business, who never met a verbal or Twitter brawl he didn’t relish. Here, he talks about the mythology of the traveling executioner and the world he’ll introduce with Tuesday’s premiere, along with his intent to make a Vietnam-era SOA limited series prequel, and a separate Sons spinoff that will have a decidedly Latino flavoring.

‘The Bastard Executioner’ Sneak Peek: Trouble Rides In With Stephen Moyer https://www.yahoo.com/tv/the-bastard-executioner-sneak-peek-trouble-128847152445.html
The Bastard Executioner, Kurt Sutter’s follow-up to Sons of Anarchy, debuts Sept. 15, but we have an exclusive clip of a key scene now.As we reported in our Fall TV preview guide, the story centers on Wilkin Brattle (Aussie theater actor Lee Jones), a 14th century knight who lays down his sword to become a farmer in Wales, but picks it up again for revenge after his rebellion against the Baron Ventris (Brían F. O'Byrne) and his ever-increasing tariffs doesn’t go unpunished.In the scene above, Ventris and his righthand, Stephen Moyer’s cunning Chamberlain Milus Corbett, ambush the village looking to confirm that its men are the hooded rebels and question Wilkin’s wife, Petra (Elen Rhys). If you’ve watched the featurette below, you can piece together what happens next (though don’t worry, there’s still twists you won’t see coming).

'Bastard Executioner' Review: Game Of Groans https://www.yahoo.com/tv/bastard-executioner-review-fx-129092551795.html
The Bastard Executioner is less the new, more accessible Game of Thrones than a reward FX has granted creator Kurt Sutter for doing such a good job making motorcycles gangs semi-sympathetic for seven season on Sons of Anarchy. Set in 14th-century Wales (I know—I’ll wait while you put a season pass on your DVR right now), TBE tells the tale of a former knight and loving family man who becomes the title character, a “punisher” (yes, they sometimes call him that, which only makes me want to see this) who lops off heads or other body parts with a swift ka-chinnng of his mighty sword.Everything surrounding the colorfully bloody bastard-execution-ing is grungy soap opera. The series asks us to become involved with the plight of Wilkin Brattle (Lee Jones), a doughty Welshman whose life is disrupted by a British baron (Aquarius’ Brian F. O’Byrne) and his sadistic chamberlain, Milus Corbett played by a Stephen Moyer who looks energized in his freedom from True Blood.

Kurt Sutter Q&A: Diving Into The 14th Century For ‘The Bastard Executioner’ Kurt Sutter Q&A: Diving Into The 14th Century For ‘The Bastard Executioner’ http://deadline.com/2015/09/kurt-su...ns-of-anarchy-prequel-and-spinoff-1201519194/
f http://deadline.com/2015/09/kurt-su...ns-of-anarchy-prequel-and-spinoff-1201519194/
The Bastard Executioner. It’s set way back in 14th century Wales, when monarchs held subjects in a cruel iron grip to keep power, and traveling executioners were useful tools to enforce their rule. Sutter has brought along for this ride wife Katey Sagal to Annora, a conniving witch/healer who once again appears to be pulling the strings of the title character, played by newcomer Lee Jones. She does this with help from The Dark Mute, a horribly disfigured character played by Sutter himself.

Hmm, well it was bloody for sure. A tough time to survive. To early to tell if the story is compelling enough for me to continue. As for Katey copulating.... my dinner was coming back up...:oldno

‘Bastard Executioner’ Cuts Ahead To Top Live+3 Viewership Premiere Leap For FX http://deadline.com/2015/09/bastard...gs-fx-fargo-debut-viewership-high-1201541369/
There’s a lot of blood, betrayal and sharp objects in Kurt Sutter’s new FX drama, but it turns out there’s also some DVR heat. The two-hour September 15 debut of The Bastard Executioner saw big leaps in both viewership and among adults 18-49 in Live+3 results – hitting a drama high in the former for FX. In both the demo and its total audience, TBX had a 71% lift from its Live+Same Day results to to 1.79 million and 3.61 million, respectively.Not only does that bode well for the soft beginning for the 14th century-set show, which ran from 10 PM-12:06 AM last week, but it puts TBX in the drama premiere pantheon as it settles into its regular one-hour this week. The DVR results now have TBX with the second best lift of all FX drama debuts among the 18-49s.Only the launch of Fargo on April 15 last year did better, with a 74% increase from its Live+SD numbers. The Bridge had a 67% demo rise, The Strain went up 63%, Tyrant 53%, The Americans 48%, and American Horror Story: Murder House rose 37%. In total viewership, the Sutter, Francie Calfo, Paris Barclay and Brian Grazer EP’d TBX topped out all other FX drama premieres in the delayed viewing rating. Fargo went up 68% to 4.46 million, The Strain 58%, The Bridge 53%, Tyrant rose 47% in over viewership, The Americans 44%, and AHS: Murder House went up 31%. So far this year, TBX rates third in basic cable drama debuts behind the powerhouses of AMC’s Fear The Walking Dead and Better Call Saul.

This show is getting hard to watch for me,& stretching it out for about 90min per episode doesn't help either. I find BBC America's the Last Kingdom to be more enjoyable to watch(someone should start a thread on the Last Kingdom).

I bailed on this show. 90 minutes per episode is just too,& it is uncomfortable to sit through. I just don't enjoy watching it &,risking sound like a shill,the Last Kingdom is a lot better to watch.

With less than a million viewers per, no doubt it will be a one (season) and done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)