Looking for a New TV

Actually, I find this thread interesting.

Both Samsung and Vizio used to fit into that low cost slot that Hisense currently occupies. 25 years ago Samsung was Goldstar, and it was cheap junk. Visio was brought in about 10 years ago as the low cost price leader, and Hisense came out a few years ago as Vizio started moving into a legitimate brand status. Lately, I have been seeing signs that Hisense is trying to move up the value chain as well.

Meanwhile, old time brands that actually died are now filling in as cost leaders. Westinghouse, RCA, Magnavox, Phillips are all cheap south Asia sets with an old legitimate American brand name.

But its hard to say what is good or bad. Reliability is much better than years ago. If you can get the set into a mode that delivers a decent picture, the brand may not matter so much. None are really repairable anyway.

Reactions: navychop
Actually, I find this thread interesting.

Both Samsung and Vizio used to fit into that low cost slot that Hisense currently occupies. 25 years ago Samsung was Goldstar, and it was cheap junk. Visio was brought in about 10 years ago as the low cost price leader, and Hisense came out a few years ago as Vizio started moving into a legitimate brand status. Lately, I have been seeing signs that Hisense is trying to move up the value chain as well.

Meanwhile, old time brands that actually died are now filling in as cost leaders. Westinghouse, RCA, Magnavox, Phillips are all cheap south Asia sets with an old legitimate American brand name.

But its hard to say what is good or bad. Reliability is much better than years ago. If you can get the set into a mode that delivers a decent picture, the brand may not matter so much. None are really repairable anyway.

Actually LG was Goldstar.
LG = LUCKY GOLDSTAR
LG is made in South Korea, which IMO is just as good if not Better than Japan.

RCA are just rebadged TCL's. I had a 40in RCA that I used as a computer monitor. It had a great picture and worked almost continuously for 2 years. I started having power glitches when I bought this new house a year and a half ago. The RCA stopped working then the bedroom tv did the same thing. I tried replacing the power board in one, but that didn't work, so I just bought the LG.

It's the 3rd LG I've bought in the last 5 years. I also have a Zenith 720p plasma that was made by LG that is still going strong. It is around 7 years old now They have as good a picture as any and have been reliable. The 60in 1080p LG I took to the lake when I bought the 65in 4k LG. That 60in is on almost all day as my mom lives out there and the tv is always on. The 65in I have in my living room also runs almost constantly as I have an open floor plan and I have it for background noise as I work from home and can see it from my desk in the office. My sister has 2 LG 55in 1080ps that are 4 or 5 years old. My dad had a 60in LG plasma that is probably 10 yrs old now and he just bought a 65in LG 4k and gave the plasma to my niece.

So for my family members LG have been really good and bulletproof.

Reactions: Troch77
RCA are just rebadged TCL's. I had a 40in RCA that I used as a computer monitor. It had a great picture and worked almost continuously for 2 years. I started having power glitches when I bought this new house a year and a half ago. The RCA stopped working then the bedroom tv did the same thing. I tried replacing the power board in one, but that didn't work, so I just bought the LG.

It's the 3rd LG I've bought in the last 5 years. I also have a Zenith 720p plasma that was made by LG that is still going strong. It is around 7 years old now They have as good a picture as any and have been reliable. The 60in 1080p LG I took to the lake when I bought the 65in 4k LG. That 60in is on almost all day as my mom lives out there and the tv is always on. The 65in I have in my living room also runs almost constantly as I have an open floor plan and I have it for background noise as I work from home and can see it from my desk in the office. My sister has 2 LG 55in 1080ps that are 4 or 5 years old. My dad had a 60in LG plasma that is probably 10 yrs old now and he just bought a 65in LG 4k and gave the plasma to my niece.

So for my family members LG have been really good and bulletproof.
YEP Zenith is the reason I worked for LG.
I was wondering if anyone was going to Mention Zenith.

I'm probably going LG, the only issue I had with one, is Bright imperfections in the blacks, and some darker patches in the deep whites.

That was on a 2010 model 55 inch LG smart tv.

Thats why I'm still a little shaky about LG PQ.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I'm probably going LG, the only issue I had with one, is Bright imperfections in the blacks, and some darker patches in the deep whites.

That was on a 2010 model 55 inch LG smart tv.

Thats why I'm still a little shaky about LG PQ.
LGs PQ are really nice. Just check the resultion and DPI

agreed. typed before verifying. Memory is fading.
At my relatives bar, he had the LG TVs before smoaking was banned. Only one has died. Or, "starting to go". As he said. All 2 still work. He just wanted to hurry up and replace it in case it died during a big game.

TCL, I would not trust them as much since still new company.
TCL has been around for years (the company started in 1981 making TDK knock-off C-type cassettes) and they have manufactured some Samsung branded TVs since 2008.

You can run, but you cannot hide from these large Asian companies that manufacture for the entire world.

My Samsung smart LED work really good since 2010 And I decide to upgrade cause isn't wifi and Samsung almost don't support the app store. But picture was great. Now is rest
20170216_195906.jpg
20170216_195856.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

TCL has been around for years (the company started in 1981 making TDK knock-off C-type cassettes) and they have manufactured some Samsung branded TVs since 2008.

You can run, but you cannot hide from these large Asian companies that manufacture for the entire world.
See, learn something new every day

Still looking, Was going with the LG 6030, But I've see a few other reviews I'm not crazy about with the PQ.

Sony I was really considering, But I don't get why in 2017 and $100 more than every other brand does these TVs still only have 2 HDMI ports?
So thats out.

It looks like many reviews are liking the Sharp 7000 series.

Still looking, Was going with the LG 6030, But I've see a few other reviews I'm not crazy about with the PQ.
This is a difficult time and you're shopping at a difficult size as it isn't really big enough to bother with UHD.

If inputs are a concern, use an AVR or HTIB with enough inputs to cover you. I think you're probably going to want better sound than comes out of most smaller flat TVs. I have five devices in my home theater setup and I only change the TV input when I connect a computer or a camcorder.

This is a difficult time and you're shopping at a difficult size as it isn't really big enough to bother with UHD.

If inputs are a concern, use an AVR or HTIB with enough inputs to cover you. I think you're probably going to want better sound than comes out of most smaller flat TVs. I have five devices in my home theater setup and I only change the TV input when I connect a computer or a camcorder.
It wasn't 4K PQ complaints.
And I'm not worried about 4K PQ at all.
The LG uses RGBW which is less accurate.
Thats my concern.

And a 55 inch at 6 feet, is probably big enough for 4K

And I'm not doing those dumb HDMI switches when 3 is all I need, and there is no excuse for a TV to not have 3 or more on every tv above 32 inches in 2017.

I dealt with that HDMI switch on my Current Samsung 40 inch because of the 2 HDMI limitations.
With a Chromecast, Blu-ray and Hopper, right there is 3.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)