Losing signal possibly due to having multiple locations?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

XDTVTe h

Original poster
Jul 29, 2014
I was previously a DTV tech working for a DTV retailer as an installer. I recently moved and just called DTV to do a move and upgrade. I went with the new Genie System. But I did leave 2 receivers at my old location. Everything worked fine at my new location for the first couple of months. But then I started losing signal on certain channels (or satellites) then it would continue to worsen until I would eventually lose all signal. I can temporarily fix this by reseting my power inserter but now it is getting to where that only works for 30 minutes or so. I thought it may have been a bad power inserter or my split 8 multi switch but I have replaced both and I am still having the same problem. I know it is not the dish bc it always works after I reset the power inserter. The only thing I could think is that the genie system has the capability to know that not all my receiver are connected to the genie so it is giving me problems. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Or have any suggestions of what it may be?

As skyviewmark says, there is no possibility that having multiple locations can affect your signals. If you want help with your problem, you need to post full info about your configuration, and describe what actually happens.

:welcome to Satelliteguys XDTVTe h!

As texasbrit said, we may be able to help, but need to know what your setup is. What are your signal strengths on all of the satellites? How do they change when you lose signal? You said you left some receivers at your previous location. Is it a vacation home or something like that?

My guess would be bad Coax from the LNB to the splitter. Could be moisture in the line, or bad termination of the connectors. How long of a run are we talking from the LNB to the splitter? Where is the Power Inserter plugged in at?

Could be that, or maybe a long run from the PI to the lnb using CCS rg6 instead of solid copper.

Reactions: Broe67
Ok I have tried replacing the connectors on the coax coming from the LNB and the splitter. The run from the LNB to the splitter is probably 80-90 ft. from the splitter it is only about a 10-15ft run to the power inserter. I always have a Searching for satellite signal 771 error message so I reset the power inserter. Satellites 99(C) seems to never have signal but all the other satellites are good from 96% and up. After about 20-30 minutes all satellites start slowly losing signal until they have completely lost all signal. I still not have replaced the actual coax going from the LNB to the splitter. I guess that will be next unless you all can think of something else.

Could be a bad lnb. Can you check the voltage at the lnb? If it's below 21 volts switching to a 29 volt pi might do the trick.

Could be a bad lnb. Can you check the voltage at the lnb? If it's below 21 volts switching to a 29 volt pi might do the trick.
Was thinking the same thing. The L.O. tends to become unstable as it doesn't hold up to harsh temperatures to well and over time may drift a bit. It could be that when it is reset, the it stabilizes a bit and when the voltage comes back, it starts to warm a bit and becomes unstable.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts