Luken has redeemed himself

Status
Please reply by conversation.
BTW, temember the new channel BEVNTV is ti called? went live yesterday, I checked on it last night, for a few minutes, but it´s good to see it there now.

Right again Iceberg. You really know your stuff. The Traxis 4000 downloaded a whole bunch of stuff on 97West, but failed to get a picture for RETRO. I had to use a Coolsat 8000, and a Pansat 9200 for Retro. Problem is these receivers were in my METV looping chain. Now, I want to replace the receivers I pulled from METV use with a receiver I have on hand. I know a Pansat 3500 will get the video for METV, but the AC3 audio comes out in SPDIF, not from the RCA jacks. How do I get sound out of the SPDIF?? Do I need something to decode the the AC3? I an old guy, and I still use VCR's. The Coolsat 8000, and Pansat 9200 decode the AC3 right into my VCR through the RCA. I don't think the Pansat 3500 will do this? How do I make the Pansat 3500 work for METV without another box??

THanks again,
Richyriles

Hey that´s a nice pic on that article.
safe_image.php

I know a Pansat 3500 will get the video for METV, but the AC3 audio comes out in SPDIF, not from the RCA jacks. How do I get sound out of the SPDIF?? Do I need something to decode the the AC3?
I know there is but it has been a long time since most of us used those (since the HD boxes have it built in). It was an item that took the coax (rca) of the SPDIF out and converted it into 2 RCA plugs. It was about the size of a deck of cards and was like $20. But again this was at least 5 years ago when folks used them. (they were mainly used on PBS when it was still SD)

Hopefully someone can help me remember what the heck it was called

edit: "Cyberhome Sonic Voom headphones and decoder" was the item. But I'm sure there are other items similar out there

a quick look shows ebay has a few. Amazon does too but for WAY too much

Here is what it looked like
CH-SRD600R-soft.jpg

basically you hooked the orange cable from the receiver to the unit (or the toslink if it comes with one). You would need to get a 3.5mm (1/8") to 2 rca plugs. You can get them at Radio Shack or really anywhere. Plug the 1/8" plug into the unit and the 2 RCA's to the VCR/TV. Thats it

Reactions: Titanium
a quick look shows ebay has a few. Amazon does too but for WAY too much

Here is what it looked like
CH-SRD600R-soft.jpg

basically you hooked the orange cable from the receiver to the unit (or the toslink if it comes with one). You would need to get a 3.5mm (1/8") to 2 rca plugs. You can get them at Radio Shack or really anywhere. Plug the 1/8" plug into the unit and the 2 RCA's to the VCR/TV. Thats it

Richy
If you hit "reply" (which quotes the post) you can just type your response after that. It gets confusing to see a reply with nothing in it ;)

If you dont want to quote it at the bottom there is a quick reply option where you can just type your response

THank you again. I appreciate very much all the time you have spent on my questions. I'll go on ebay and look for this, and the necessary cables. Also, some guy on Ebay is offering some cheap MPEG 4 FTA receiver for $50.00. He says it's for 97 West, and lists no other satellites. I'm suspicious. I tried to write him a message, but it would not go through. It would be nice if it was preprogrammed to 97 West, and I'd just hook it up, and be done. It's probably a programming nightmare. I wonder if you saw the listing. You would know if this was junk or not. I searched Ebay for MPEG 4 FTA, and these boxes came up. One thing I noticed with all the scanning work I was doing on my Dishes, was Heroes and Icons from Weigel on 101W. That station has a better lineup than METV. Broken Arrow is a Western that has rarely been seen, and is Michael Ansara's first role. I was not paying attention, and missed the launch on that station 2 months ago. All my 101West receivers were on METV, or METV 2, and I never knew this station existed. How dumb!!! Anyway, thanks again.

Richyriles

If its the one I just saw on Ebay for 49.99 from California it looks like a simple knock off of a SSO (Solomend, Sathawk, Openbox). The specs say it will do HD and MPEG4 which means in **theory** the audio should pass through the AV cables. But if I remember right, the SSO (it was 3 different receivers but the menus all worked the same) at the getgo didnt have that option (AC-3 through the RCA cables). That was resolved later on.

Now whether or not its easy to program...well we don't know. Would we be able to help ya program it if need be? Sure

I guess let me ask this. From your previous post you mention that your big dish is on 101W for MeTV pretty much all the time. And you mention you are adding a LNB for 97W. Are you setting up a separate dish? Why not just get a Diseqc switch or 22k switch and combine the C-Band and the KU Band together in the existing receiver that works for MeTV just fine? Then you can get both on one receiver. The drawback would be if there is something on each you want to record at the same time ;)

If that $50.00 receiver on ebay is an Open Box clone, I won't go there. I programmed one Open Box, but it was very difficult for me. Took hours. Then when I finally got the receiver programed, it kept freezing up.

I can be forgetful, and distracted, so it's just better that I keep my receivers tuned to one channel. I was able to accumulate Coolsat 8000's, and Pansat 9000/9200's by just keeping an eye on Ebay auctions and buying when they went cheap. I never bought a receiver brand new, except for the Open Box, and never paid anything close to $100.00. I do a lot of recording to Archive, and it's easy to forget to change the channel on the receiver, and you end up recording the wrong program. I did this countless times, so for me it's just more efficient to keep my receivers locked on one satellite, and one station, and not have to think about it. Also, sometimes the FTA receivers don't tune it the station when you flip channels, and I get the old "no Signal". I had this today when switching between H&I, and METV. These old FTA boxes are not so reliable, and they are getting worse as they age. They blow caps, and freeze up. All the looping I do leads to the unreliability, as my 101 West chain is 7 receivers long. I've got 2 receivers for Retro. There is a Manhattan MPEG 4 up on ebay now that I'd love to have, but the seller wants $100.00. If anyone has broken MPEG 2 or 4 receivers they want to throw out, I know a local guy who fixes them for $20.00.

Richyriles

This may be a bit off-topic, but for some of us, complimenting the FTA system with something else makes sense! It may even make sense if you have a good OTA antenna to look at ALTERNATIVES to extra FTA boxes! Given the "rumors" of Me-TV going away, and the abundant availability of (3) afilliates here, I have switched gears, and I use the FTA to record 97 west, 137, and a few others, 4 of which are fixed dishes. ME-TV, Retro, and others I now record with a "TabloTV" unit which, I have to say, I'm quite impressed-with once it's set up! For good OTA and watching in places without wiring, it's GREAT! Their guide is cheaper than Tivo, just as functional, easy to record-from, easy to play, and given a reliable home network, it's QUITE nice! Haven't looked to see if anyone has reviewed it here on satguys.....but if not, I'll try! Now I have guaranteed Me-TV, and I free up the FTA for other things at the same time! It was an upgrade to me from a basic OTA PVR which cost around $35, but the lesser one had one tuner, and limited channel-derived guide. I'm quite impressed with TabloTV thus far!

Reactions: Mr Tony
Good point Jim (radio). For fun I did a tvfool for the radio station and WOW!
stations from 3 markets
2 full sets of locals + a few from a 3rd. 2 different CW versions (the plus feed and a affiliate). 3 different PBS feeds
Bounce (x2), Antenna (x2), This, Me (x3), Retro, GetTV, Zuus, Grit (soon), WxNation (x2), LiveWell, PBS World, Create, MHZ Worldview

You got it good there with the right setup :)

We do have a magical TV location! Still affected by bad weather as all markets are now that we're digital, but Flint, Lansing, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo all quite strong most of the time! And, I LOVE this new box. Just went through the alphabetical listings to set recordings for Christmas specials and other things, and for a single user, it's tough to run into conflicts on the two-tuner version! Can't wait to try watching TV offsite, have to have our engineer route a few ports for me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.