Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Some very interesting Rumors coming out of AT&T / DIRECTV. (Remember these are just rumors!)

First up, shortly after the start of 2016 we will see LIVE 4K content from DIRECTV. DIRECTV will launch with 2 linear channels and 3 (non VOD) PPV channels.

The first channels to be launched in 4K will be DIRECTV's Audience Network and on other channel which I "believe" to be ESPN. I have a good reason to believe that it's ESPN but I can not give that reason as if I did my source could be revealed.

I understand that DIRECTV will also be replaying this Januarys Super Bowl in 4K after the game airs, so that people (and dealers show rooms) can show off their 4K sets.

For these channels DIRECTV will not be using bonded transponders or reverse DBS frequencies, but will be using a total of 5 transponders to deliver them. (2 live channels and 3 PPV's)

Software updates are going out to all DIRECTV DVR's this month to support the new reverse band satellites. And I am hearing that the new DSWIM2 (I hope I got that correct) is almost ready for installers to start rolling them out.

Secondly and more interestingly...

Sometime next year you will be able to walk into a store and walk out with a New AT&T DIRECTV receiver and be able to take it home plug it in to your Internet Connection and be watching DIRECTV/UVERSE programming instantly. You will get a majority of the channels offered by DIRECTV and UVERSE.

To make it more interesting after your up and running AT&T/DIRECTV can send an installer to your house and put in a DISH and / or hook you up to UVERSE to give you the best quality possible.

Once you are hooked up over satellite the majority of your programming will come via satellite however if there is a storm coming to your area and it looks like rain fade might knock out your signal the box will automatically switch you over to UVERSE or IPTV so you do not lose signal due to rain fade. It will switch you back to satellite when the storm has passed.

So it looks like 2016 will be an interesting year for DIRECTV. :)

Last edited:
Once you are hooked up over satellite the majority of your programming will come via satellite however if there is a storm coming to your area and it looks like rain fade might knock out your signal the box will automatically switch you over to UVERSE or IPTV so you do not lose signal due to rain fade. It will switch you back to satellite when the storm has passed.

Not trying to change the subject to Dish, but I have wondered why they (Dish Network) doesn't do something like this with channels that they have that are streaming on SlingTV. One would think that they have the capability to do it. Probably licensing from the content providers.

Sometime next year you will be able to walk into a store and walk out with a New AT&T DIRECTV receiver and be able to take it home plug it in to your Internet Connection and be watching DIRECTV/UVERSE programming instantly. You will get a majority of the channels offered by DIRECTV and UVERSE.

I wonder if this is the new DirecTV/U-Verse receiver that the guy from Pace was talking about testing, I cant remember the number, seems like it was AD100C or something like that. I remember him saying it would work with either.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Hmm, that second part is mighty interesting. Rain fade a thing of the past, if you have the internet to support it .

The use of the Internet to get many or most of the channels using the same box you do for satellite is a tremendous idea. Credit to Directv/Uverse.

Thanks for update Scoot appreciate it and agree with all comments above especially Tampa8!! :)

Reactions: Tampa8
Hmm, that second part is mighty interesting. Rain fade a thing of the past, if you have the internet to support it .
The new term will be macro-blocking..Once Comcast and other providers slow down your connection because you have used your allotment of bandwidth :nana:wtf:eek

I wonder if this sort of feature is on the next Dish Hopper. It would make sense. Great feature, IMHO.

I wonder if this is the new DirecTV/U-Verse receiver that the guy from Pace was talking about testing, I cant remember the number, seems like it was AD100C or something like that. I remember him saying it would work with either.

Yes the model number did start with AD. Could be it.

I have NOT seen one myself.

Be interesting to see how long till Dish joins them with 4K live channels, especially something as big as ESPN. Can't imagine Dish would let them get too far ahead, with the 4K Joey and potentially the Hopper3.

Be interesting to see how long till Dish joins them with 4K live channels, especially something as big as ESPN. Can't imagine Dish would let them get too far ahead, with the 4K Joey and potentially the Hopper3.

I am thinking that with the space Dish has freed up on Western Arc, some of that would be for 4k programming. I thought that once the 8PSK conversion was done, we would have seen a bunch of HD channels appear. But since that time, we have only seen Outdoor Channel and Al Jezeera launch in HD. I have a feeling they are looking at some 4k programming.

While technically it would only display with a C61K hooked up to any Genie, I feel they are going to limit it to the HR 54 with the C61K so that way in the future when they move those channels to a reverse transponder / bonded transponder they dont get a bunch of upset customers who said the 4K worked before and now it does not.

Time to switch to direct tv . I like the receiver idea , walk into a store and bring it home and hook it up . You should be able to do that with all tv providers .

Will this "walk-in-bring-it-home" service be limited to areas that already have a U-Verse footprint? I can see them doing this where U-Verse already has a presence, but what about markets that don't have any physical storefronts? That sounds like a major financial outlay (though I'm sure AT&T has the funds).

I do like the idea of automatic fail over to internet for TV to compensate for rain fade. Perhaps even when you have tree fade you would fail over until they can send out a technician to move your dish.

Will this "walk-in-bring-it-home" service be limited to areas that already have a U-Verse footprint? I can see them doing this where U-Verse already has a presence, but what about markets that don't have any physical storefronts? That sounds like a major financial outlay (though I'm sure AT&T has the funds).
You will be able to walk into most any store that sells AT&T phones and walk out with a box. It will work with any ISP as long as certain metrics are met (minimum internet download speed)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts