Making an 18 inch Satellite dish into a long range WiFi antenna

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-build-a-wifi-biquad-dish-antenna/

There was also one posted a long time about about a Primestar dish being used as such. It's pretty cool. Reminds me of people making their own OTA antennas. I have seen some people use those little radios like the Ubiquiti's and putting them in front of a satellite dish to collect more of the signal. The same with the usb sticks, putting them in front of the dishes for better gain.

You may be able to hear the signal in the other location but the laptop will not be able to send back. You have to have the same thing on both sides for a decent connection.

I do agree the homemade way is very cool and gives that satisfaction. But also I don't like hearing people bitch and whine when the internet is down at 11pm either. In my cases they pay for the equipment anyways.

For experience its not reliable at all trying to "burn" through trees. Seasons change, wind blows, leaves grow thicker, rain sits on the leaves and causes havoc with the signal, you name it. The only way you can really get away with that is 900mhz wifi products or just shoot around the trees. Been to way too many setups fixing people's messes where they shot through several trees.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

In my testing I was able to transmit through more trees from my home to her front yard and was able to connect with my laptop using it's built in antenna. The distance was more than twice as far as it will be from her business to home, and although there are some trees not near as many as I shot through in the test. Remember, the dish not only improves transmitting but also reception at the access point.
Michael

The router is the weak end. If you had even a cheap radio such as a Ubiquiti at that end that could replace the router and be had for only around $50. You can get much better ones for around $100 if you want longer range of miles. You don't want to put satellites on both ends unless you have a permanent link because the signal would have too narrow of a beam. Omni's have 360 degrees while panels are fairly directional but can give you around 45 to 60 egrees along with sectors (sometimes more depending on the antenna/sector).

Going through trees may work fine now but when it rains it may cause issues. Every situation is different. I've seen links like that work good for a little while then flake out later on while other times stay in strong. With the leaves falling off the trees right now it may work better now but when they grow back in the spring you may see more issues. 900 mhz has a different wavelength that better handles that but is more prone to interference depending on the area you live in and has less bandwidth that can travel across it.

There is a cool factor in knowing that you can create your own dish and getting some extra distance without the need to buying expensive equipment to do so. I've hopped signals over miles from hill to hill to receive internet service in the past having different types of antennas having different results and trees and leaves to deal with. I've gotten a signal in 7 1/2 miles from an access point and around 30-40 miles point to point tower to tower.

Last edited:
I remember watching that episode of the Screen Savers as it aired years ago. I wish they still had that channel around before they changed it.

You may be able to hear the signal in the other location but the laptop will not be able to send back. You have to have the same thing on both sides for a decent connection.

I found that out when had my first set-up. (I should have thought of it though, it makes sense) I now use a Ubiquiti and it really does work well. The homemade system is fun to try.

I remember watching that episode of the Screen Savers as it aired years ago. I wish they still had that channel around before they changed it.

That channel was great when it was zdtv. Went down hill quick when it changed.

I haven't seen LMR400 in forever! So much easier with cat5 poe units these days.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

[video]http://archive.org/download/Drboose-WiffyExtremeSuperWiFiAntenna770/Drboose-WiffyExtremeSuperWiFiAntenna770.ogv[/video]

WALLY,
Well all you can say is, "Where there's a will there is a way"! I guess that gives you a good reason to make your system secure as possible especially if you live in a high population density area.
Michael

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts