Status
Not open for further replies.

Slamminc11

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Jan 28, 2005
Mass. lawmakers reject gay marriage ban

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9341091/

BOSTON - A year after the nation’s first state-sanctioned same-sex marriages, the Massachusetts Legislature on Wednesday rejected a proposed constitutional amendment that sought to ban gay marriage but legalize civil unions.
It was the second time the Legislature had confronted the measure, which was designed to be put before voters on a statewide ballot in 2006. Under state law, lawmakers were required to approve the measure in two consecutive sessions before it could move forward.
After less than two hours of debate, a joint session of the House and Senate voted 157-39 against the measure.
It was a striking departure from a year earlier, when hundreds of protesters converged on Beacon Hill and sharply divided legislators spent long hours debating the issue.
This year, the crowds were tamer and some legislators who had initially supported the proposed change to the state Constitution said they no longer felt right about denying the right of marriage to thousands of same-sex couples.
"Gay marriage has begun, and life has not changed for the citizens of the commonwealth, with the exception of those who can now marry," said state Sen. Brian Lees, a Republican who had been a co-sponsor of the amendment. "This amendment which was an appropriate measure or compromise a year ago, is no longer, I feel, a compromise today."
The state's highest court ruled in November 2003 that same-sex couples had a right under the state constitution to marry. The first weddings took place on May 17, 2004 — two months after lawmakers began the process of trying to change the constitution to reverse the court's ruling.
Since then, more than 6,100 couples have married.

I hate all this mumbo jumbo, so they said they couldn't ban gay marriages in MA, right? Good, maybe we can quit pretending that being gay is wrong and move on with our lives...

...forgot what country I live in, nevermind... Why fight terrorism or educate the kids when there's gays running free???

This subject always strikes a bad chord with me because of my religious beliefs. No where in the Bible does it say that gay marriage is okay. To me, the only marriage that is under God is between a man and a woman.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I in no way try to push my beliefs on anyone because I believe that everyone is entitled to their own faith, whatever it may be.

Between the left's embrace of everything P.C., and the right's wish to impose their religious belief's on everyone, it's becoming impossible to have a civil discussion about anything without one side or another getting their panties in a wad. I miss the 70's when we weren't afraid of words. :(

If anyone gets a chance, check out the George Carlin interview in the October Playboy. Pretty interesting.

Disclaimer: This is not aimed at any poster in this thread, just me venting.

NightRyder

Neutron,
I agree with you and share your beliefs.
However, I will not apologize for those beliefs if it offends anyone since those that don't agree with my beliefs don't apologize for offending me.

jbcheshire said:
Neutron,
However, I will not apologize for those beliefs if it offends anyone since those that don't agree with my beliefs don't apologize for offending me.

I am with you bro :eek:

jbcheshire said:
Neutron,

AMEN BROTHER!!! :yes :yes

Neutron said:
This subject always strikes a bad chord with me because of my religious beliefs. No where in the Bible does it say that gay marriage is okay. To me, the only marriage that is under God is between a man and a woman.

I apologize if I offend anyone. I in no way try to push my beliefs on anyone because I believe that everyone is entitled to their own faith, whatever it may be.

You are not alone in your beliefs. Its just that the courts are so left wing and the media has made it almost a crime to express your views which are the same as mine. Now Ill sit and wait patiently while someone calls us homophobes:rolleyes:

vurbano said:
You are not alone in your beliefs. Its just that the courts are so left wing and the media has made it almost a crime to express your views which are the same as mine. :rolleyes:
I forgot to ask vurbano which country you live in? :D
I live here in the USA, you must live somewhere else - what courts and media are you talking about? I am sure, I have a different opinion than you - I have no problem with that, that's what democracy is all about.

The State of Mass. didn't say, that one has to be gay to get married.
It just makes the distinction between Religion, which is everybodies VERY own decision and the State, the legal body of Government.
We all know some countries, where for example Ayatollas rule over religion and Government - I sure wouldn't like to live in any country like that.

I'm not apologizing for my beliefs at all. I'm very proud of them. :)

Thanks everyone for believeing the same thing. :D

Neutron said:
I'm not apologizing for my beliefs at all. I'm very proud of them. :)

Thanks everyone for believeing the same thing. :D

Please never aplogize for your beliefs !

Matt said:
Please never aplogize for your beliefs !

When Jesus came into Jerusalem, he was shown a coin, with the then emporer of Rome - Augustus - on it and was asked what he thinks about it - His reply;
"Give to the Emporer, what's the Emporer and to the Lord what's the Lord's!"

jbcheshire said:
Neutron,

I truly believe that no one should have to apologize for their beliefs, nor should I have to apologize for who God made me either!

Neutron said:

True, but the bible also says there is ONE God. ...it isn't you so you should not be judging nor should you be criticizing anyone's beliefs.

Everyone in here is saying that you should not be apologizing for your beliefs...well if someone chose to be gay...they shouldn't have to apologize either and they should be free to do what they choose. THIS IS AMERICA!

asousa said:
True, but the bible also says there is ONE God. ...it isn't you so you should not be judging nor should you be criticizing anyone's beliefs.

Everyone in here is saying that you should not be apologizing for your beliefs...well if someone chose to be gay...they shouldn't have to apologize either and they should be free to do what they choose. THIS IS AMERICA!

I agree except for the "choose" part of your statement. I know some on here will say it is a choice, but I never chose to "be gay". I am what I am, as you are what you are. There wasn't a morning when I woke up and picked gay over straight. I never woke up and said, hey, this would be fun. Would my life be easier if I were straight, hell yeah. But I don't choose who I fall in love with, just as you don't choose who you fall in love with. I choose my car, I choose where I live, I choose where and for whom I work, I choose what color dishes I buy, what politicians I support, what shoes I wear, the color of my hair, blue or black socks, etc, etc, etc. But I have yet to meet someone who chooses who the fall in love with.

asousa said:

Now see, this is why I don't say much when it comes to this subject. I never said that I was judging anyone. All I did was say what my beliefs were. Again I don't force my beliefs or views on anyone.

Matt said:
I forgot to ask vurbano which country you live in? :D
I live in the one killing as many babies as it can, the one so perverted that sucking a childs brain out of its head during deliver was ever an issue and the one beginning to Ban the word God from the Pledge of allegence.:rolleyes:

vurbano said:
...and the one beginning to Ban the word God from the Pledge of alleigence.:rolleyes:

Would that be the same pledge that was changed from it original verbiage and add "under god" to it in the 1950's? Yes that's right, it did not include the words "under god" for the first what, 50 years that this country said it. Not that it matters either way to me, just thought I would ask.

Slamminc11 said:
Would that be the same pledge that was changed from it original verbiage and add "under god" to it in the 1950's? Yes that's right, it did not include the words "under god" for the first what, 50 years that this country said it. Not that it matters to me either way to me, just thought I would ask.
Your not telling me anything I dont already know. But yes the one that has let the liberals go too far. But if you are suggesting our forefathers didnt recognize God your kidding yourself:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

From Wikipedia:

The term inalienable rights (or unalienable rights) refers to a set of rights that are believed to be absolute, not awarded by any human power and not transferable to another power or capable of being repudiated.

Then there is this:

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation."

There is nothing in our Constitution that forbades the recognition of God in our schools or in our government:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

If anything IMO, this supports religion not restricts.

The 10 commandments are even on the walls of our supreme court. And displayed in many state courts. The liberals have twisted the Constitution beyond any point which our forefathers could ever foresee. I'm sure they are rolling in their graves watching how our courts are botching the interpretation of our constitution.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost on Dvd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)