May Come Back to Dish

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
After posting just last week that I didn't like the way Charlie yank channels away from the lineup and I wouldn't leave Directv for Dish, guess who played with a Hopper this weekend and may have a change of heart.:)
Let me say this too. If I were to leave have nothing to do with the SEC network as I suspect Directv coming on board this week or next. This has everything to do with the Hopper! I had Dish about 5 years ago. The VIP 722 and Directv HR24 were very comparable. Wow have times changed withe the Hopper!
Now I'm doing fact finding Dish. Any lawsuits pending or seen in the future? I know since the Hopper there have been talks of a few lawsuits.
One question about the Hopper. Is the remote IR or RF or either? I have two tvs with a hdmi splitter and need RF.

Are local retailer and Dish Network going to have same promo for new customers?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Hopper remotes are uhf, and yes the hopper is tied up in litigation(although no injunctions have been issued yet) right now at the federal level over the auto hop and sling technology built into it.

Either. I control both my HWS with IR Harmony remotes.

There are always lawsuits but I doubt anything that will adversely affect us. Dish, for the most part, seems to be winning lately in court.

I doubt there'd be much difference in what is offered, but I'd go with the local guy if that's an option.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

My own opinion, you may be looking at DISH for a good reason, yet switching is a bad idea for you. Anything you didn't like about DISH is still there, nothing has changed. Are you unhappy with Direct? I didn't get that from your post. So it seems to hinge on your liking the Hopper better as a receiver. I don't have one, but don't for a reason. My 612 is 1000000% more reliable at this time. Read all the posts of ongoing bugs that don't appear to be getting fixed, including recordings getting cancelled.

If there were other reasons, more channels you watch, or you have to save money and DISH is less, or something more than the Hopper being a better receiver would make it that much better to switch. As is, I think you are going to be frustrated if the only reason to change is the Hopper, which does have potential to be one of the best receivers.

Tampa,
Yes the only reason would be for the Hopper. Otherwise happy with Directv.

Have you looked into the Genie as an existing customer? I hear that there are similar features and you might be satisfied enough with the technology yet still stay with the familiar provider.

Check channel packages and make sure you wouldn't lose any must-have channels.

The Hopper is awesome and blows the Genie away. I've got both right here and there's no comparison.

Hopper remotes are IR and UHF.

Go with the local retailer. The deals are the same as Dish has but the installation and service will probably be much better.

Reactions: navychop
Have you looked into the Genie as an existing customer? I hear that there are similar features and you might be satisfied enough with the technology yet still stay with the familiar provider.

Check channel packages and make sure you wouldn't lose any must-have channels.

Problem here you may get HR34 or HR44. 34 is slow and clunky. 44 is better. People that I've talked that had both liked the hopper over the genie even with the 44.

That's the downside with D*. They class the HR34 and HR44 as being the same thing and they just aren't. The HR44 is very snappy in response and mine has been pretty much flawless.

That said, the UI is still the same old UI they've had for many years, just gussied up a bit so they can call it a HDUI. But still the same look and feel it has always been.

The Hopper/Joey/SuperJoey is just a different animal. Dish took the time to make a new UI for a new box!

That said, ensure the channels you want are there if you switch because regardless of how the UI looks or the box operates, it really is all about the channels.

Reactions: satjay
I thought you could get Genie and all clients (C31?) without having any of the older receivers?

The Hopper is awesome and blows the Genie away. I've got both right here and there's no comparison.

I switched to Dish from Directv for the exact same reason as the OP. I liked the programing with Directv, but was interested in the Hopper. IMO there is no comparison between the Genie and the Hopper. The Hopper is far superior, the guide displays more time slots for it's channels, the GUI looks better, PTAT is only on Hopper, Commercial Hop is only on the Hopper, etc. etc. It is just better. Dish and Directv each have some channels that the other doesn't, but, after making the switch, I don't miss the channels that Directv had that Dish doesn't, and that includes the NFL Sunday Ticket, which Directv was going to give me free for a year, if I stayed. Dish Network provides plenty of Sports, more than I thought prior to the switch. Still, the Hopper is the difference maker for me. It IS that good!!!

Reactions: budda

Hopper remotes are IR and UHF.

Go with the local retailer. The deals are the same as Dish has but the installation and service will probably be much better.

An important note: The Hopper remotes are UHF only. The Hopper, itself, is capable of either UHF or RF, and RF must be enabled on the Hopper.... ;)

An important note: The Hopper remotes are UHF only. The Hopper, itself, is capable of either UHF or RF, and RF must be enabled on the Hopper.... ;)
I think you mean UHF and IR. Rf and UHF are the same thing, except UHF is specific frequency and RF is any radio frequency.

If you had DISH and were unhappy enough to make a switch to Direct TV where you are happy, I am skeptical the HOPPER will keep you happy when nothing else really has changed. The HOPPER is a better receiver and I base that mostly on people who switched from DirectTV and say so. Problem is if it has bugs that don't get addressed, and you are unhappy with other aspects of DISH service it seems not a wise choice.

My own opinion, you may be looking at DISH for a good reason, yet switching is a bad idea for you. Anything you didn't like about DISH is still there, nothing has changed. Are you unhappy with Direct? I didn't get that from your post. So it seems to hinge on your liking the Hopper better as a receiver. I don't have one, but don't for a reason. My 612 is 1000000% more reliable at this time. Read all the posts of ongoing bugs that don't appear to be getting fixed, including recordings getting cancelled.

I haven't seen any of these bugs that people are talking about. I switched to DISH with the hopper in Nov. 2013. Maybe I need to be looking more closely?

Thanks for the posts.
My install is setup for Saturday.
I had Dish 07 to10. Had both for a short time then went to Directv to present. I'll post how things go.

As I understand it, the Genie adds only PIP to the conventional HD DVR feature set. Maybe there's more to it than that but they do run out of the same User Guide.

About the remote being uhf only, I think your wrong. It may control the Hopper by RF, but it controls other devices by IR. That's why you DVD, TV and Aux buttons on the remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)