Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH
WindowsITPro - Paul Thurrott
January 18, 2006, updated

Internal Microsoft documentation states that the software giant is about to make a surprising addition to the Windows Vista code tree on February 22, about a week after the company is expected to ship a complete version of the OS to testers. On that day, the company will apparently add Blu-ray DVD support to the OS, according to the documentation I've seen.

Update: Microsoft has elected to clarify what it is they're really doing. Adam Anderson, a product manager in the Windows division, told me, "Microsoft is adding the ability to detect a movie disc for a variety of optical formats, which is known as AutoPlay, since OEMs will have a choice of which drive they want to place in their PCs. The HD-DVD AutoPlay feature is already implemented and Blu-Ray's is under study. This simply recognizes the particular media that you put into the disc drive, so implementing this feature for Blu-Ray does not constitute native or platform support for Blu-Ray in Vista. As stated before, we will leave that up to third party developers." In short, Windows Vista will support (i.e. recognize) Blu-Ray discs, but will not natively support Blu-Ray movie playback; for that, you'll still need third party software.

Read the entire article here: http://www.windowsitpro.com/windows...rticleID/49103/windowspaulthurrott_49103.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)