Mini-Bud (120cm) Motor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Kraven

Resident Bozo
Original poster
Jun 2, 2012
Northern, VT
For the folks who are mini-budding..... what type of motor, if any, are you using?

Curiosity is now kicking me hard so I decided to make the plunge and get a 120cm dish to horse around with. Plan to use it w/ the Titanium lnb... fun times ahead!

If it doesnt work out, i'll park it at 103W (Ku) so its a win-win nonetheless

Cheers, K

I assume you bought an offset dish so go with this:

I'm using a STABHH120. It is slow(ish), but super quiet and always been reliable (2+ years). I have it moving a Fortec 1.2 with a ku, circular ku, and a cband on board. I'm really happy with my mini-bud.

I'm using a STABHH120. It is slow(ish), but super quiet and always been reliable (2+ years). I have it moving a Fortec 1.2 with a ku, circular ku, and a cband on board. I'm really happy with my mini-bud.

When you have time, and if you dont mind, could you post a pic ? Curious about the lnb setup.

Also, what c* channels do you get?

Sure, I am happy to take some updated pics this morning.
I get a fair amount overall. The sats I have scanned in on C band are:
91w - Classic Arts SD + HD
97w - Coahuila, GetTV, few more Mex
99w - PR Nets, GDMX, Leasea, THIS, MeTV, KBRK,KCWY,CW
101w- Movies!,TouchVision
103w - PBS SD + HD
107w - Weather, ASN, French Weather, Disney, Nunavut...
111w - CITY, Sask
121, 125 - bunch of spanish, chinese, religious...

Here it is - definitely a few mods in the last 6 years. I am very happy with it, but a different model - like a GeoSatPro or Winegard would probably be less modding to gain stability and strength.
IMG_20140927_084104.jpg IMG_20140927_084126.jpg

Reactions: iBoston
Thank you for this.

It is great to get some actual data from my part of the continent. According to Satbeams my location is in the same EIRP level footprint for 1/2 of the sats you've listed.

Getting approval from the boss to plant one of the BUD's I harvested last summer in the back yard has been a challenge.

I now have approval from the CFO to purchase a C-band LNBF to do a test.

Hopefully a pilot run will help.

Should be able to get amg on 97w as well.
Google amgtv
They tell you on their website that they are unscrambled and list their coordinates. :)
They show a lot of good movies on there.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I've been using an HH120 on a 1.2 m Channel Master dish with a custom bracket (total weight with C1PLL LNB 34 lbs - compared to 37 lb limit for the motor) for a couple of months. Works well so far...

Like pacific rim says, it's slow, so you need to be patient!

I tried ION on 103w with no luck but AMG-TV on 97w comes in with 60% Q. Thanks!

In my case, I found the cband LNBF works very well as a sidecar in any weather. I lost the weakest Ku - like FSTV or NBC (not skewed) - in bad weather when the Ku was in sidecar position.

Pacific....is that a WSI conical scalar w/ A Titanium cband lnb? What am a missing here...the motor is upside down.

I tried ION on 103w with no luck but AMG-TV on 97w comes in with 60% Q. Thanks!

In my case, I found the cband LNBF works very well as a sidecar in any weather. I lost the weakest Ku - like FSTV or NBC (not skewed) - in bad weather when the Ku was in sidecar position.

How long did it take you to fine tune the sidecard lnb?

The STAB motors are upsidedown relative to other makes. Yes, the conical came from a DMSI BSC421 that the Titanium replaced.
Not long to find the sweet spot but I have a Superbuddy meter and that helps a lot. I don't recommend using a sat box to point and peak unless thats your only option. A cheap meter like a First Strike is better than a STB.

I moved the dish to a spot about 8 degrees past the sat I wanted( in this case I used the PR mux at 99w so I set my dish to 107w)- put the conical scalar at the end of the tube, set my meter to and slowly waved the LNBF around and looked for a lock. Once I knew where the LNBF was going to be mounted, then it was a matter of fine tuning and changing sats to see if the sweet spot was the same or close for all of the sats I wanted. I wanted Classic Arts, so I fine tuned for that and nothing else got worse. In the end the conical scalar ended up all the way back instead of the end of the tube.

Pacific....is that a WSI conical scalar w/ A Titanium cband lnb? What am a missing here...the motor is upside down.

I also have the STAB 120 and that's they way they are, shaft points straight up. I thinks it's easier to work with it that way. Very good motor. Survived many of brutal winters here in the northland.

The Stab HH100 I have points up too. I believe the HH90 points downward when installed. Agree with rsmithwi, much easier to install and adjust with shaft facing upwards.

Last edited:
Yes, the HH90 points down. As well as the HH120 I mentioned above, I have a Hotdish 90 on an HH90.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)