MINI-NES Classic Edition

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Sorry, but I don't blame Nintendo for playing it safe. They've gotten burned in the past of overestimating and being stuck with excess inventory.
Really? Can you name 1 time in recent memory that where, on launch, Nintendo overestimated their demand? The reason the Wii U has excess inventory now is because no one wants to buy them, and everyone who wants one already owns one.

Sounds more like people are butt hurt because they couldn't get one on day one due to speculators and scalpers.

Wow, you must be fun at parties. Shame on those stupid consumers who simply wanted to buy a product that a company made! How DARE they be really upset when the company didn't make enough to satisfy demand and thus made them even easier to be scalped by people who only are looking to make a profit off of other people's hard work and other people's desire to enjoy their hard work!

And on the flip side, the Wii U came out, and flooded the channels.
To Quote the great Dave Meltzer..

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ii-u-shortage-after-debut-in-u-s-this-weekend

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-11-28-wii-u-shortage-helping-xbox-360-ps3

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/10/wii_u_stock_shortage_reports_surface_in_uk

In about 3-4 months, the mini-nes will be everywhere gathering dust on shelves.
No, in 3-4 months people will still be clamoring for them unless Nintendo picks up the slack. I really don't think you understand the market for these things, and let's not act like if, for some reason, Nintendo overdelivered on product that it would be a major blow. They have enough cash on hand to run a deficit for the next 30+ years. Also, Nintendo is not traditionally a conservative company, nor do they lack bandwidth. They shipped 10 MILLION copies of the new Pokemon games. Somehow they did fine with that.

And you sound like one of those individuals, just because Nintendo didn't guarantee you would have a copy on day one. Did you do this for every console release?

They shipped 10 MILLION copies of the new Pokemon games. Somehow they did fine with that.
There's a big difference in shipping 10 million game cards, when the production facilities for making 3ds cartridges is already in place, and can be used for any number of games, then for a facility line dedicated to making a console.

For one, you just change the software that's flashed onto the cartridge. The other involves a completely different production facility.

I'm leaning towards the Retrousb AVS console clone now. Hardware emulation, output to 720p, powered by USB, and plays NES carts plus uses original hardware is very tempting.

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I'm leaning towards the Retrousb AVS console clone now. Hardware emulation, output to 720p, powered by USB, and plays NES carts plus uses original hardware is very tempting.
I picked up the Retro Freak a few months ago. Works great, and backs up the games onto a micro-sd card.
Only minus was needed to use an NES-Famicom adapter to plug in NES cartridges.
My boys love it though, because it can use PS3 controllers, as long as you connect it with a USB cable.

IMG_1480771689.875691.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

As we talk about the retro NES, who still has there's, I do :)

I had an NES but I was born in 1987 and got it along, with a collection of like 30 games from a garage sale. I think the SNES was already out by the time my parents bought it for me. I still had some fun with it but the PS1 was the first console I ever owned while it was still relevant. That is the system that actually got me into gaming.

I definitely don't have mine anymore. I was a kid who was fully hooked on gaming with no money by the time the PS2 came out. My parents got me a PS2 for Christmas and since it could play PS1 games I traded my PS1 and most of its games in to buy more PS2 games. I only kept a few PS1 games that I liked too much to trade in.

Reactions: satjay
Now, someone like me has no use for this, mainly because I've been using emulation for over 10 years now. I have access to every NES game ever made and I can use whatever DirectInput (read: Xbox/Sony/99% of USB) controller I want. But the VAST majority of consumers don't feel like downloading an emulator and then download every individual game they desire, or set up torrenting and download one of those mega-packs that have every NES game ever made in them. This is a simple, stupid solution of just plugging in 2 cables (3 if you count the controller) and hitting the power button and you got great nostalgia for $60.

The vast majority may also do things legally. It annoys me that you jump all over people about obtaining games illegally, but you do it yourself. Most of those games are NOT freeware, NOT free to legally download.

I know a lot about emulation, way more than you would think. My experience with emulators goes back to before the Internet and heavily with gaming. You should get off your high horse about emulation and the games you steal.

And yeah, your excuse of preserving them is just that, a excuse.

The vast majority may also do things legally. It annoys me that you jump all over people about obtaining games illegally, but you do it yourself.

What? I have been checking on the video games threads here several times a day for a few years now and have never seen yourbeliefs go after someone for getting games illegally. If anyone has done that here it's probably me. I am very anti-piracy and support strong DRM like Denuvo that actually works without keeping me from playing my legal copies.

What? I have been checking on the video games threads here several times a day for a few years now and have never seen yourbeliefs go after someone for getting games illegally. If anyone has done that here it's probably me. I am very anti-piracy and support strong DRM like Denuvo that actually works without keeping me from playing my legal copies.

I have seen him post about downloading games like this at least three different times. And your wrong, he jumped down my throat about Id games once, which source code had been released for.

These games, especially from torrent sources, are obtained illegally. You might not like me piling on him about it, but it is what it is. I mentioned it once before and he blew it off with the excuse of the games being preserved.

And what I said is true. It annoys me and pisses me off when people have one set of values for themselves and a totally different set for other people.

The vast majority may also do things legally. It annoys me that you jump all over people about obtaining games illegally, but you do it yourself. Most of those games are NOT freeware, NOT free to legally download.

I know a lot about emulation, way more than you would think. My experience with emulators goes back to before the Internet and heavily with gaming. You should get off your high horse about emulation and the games you steal.

First of all..

Maybe start taking your own advice. Also, if you were into the emulation scene back before the internet then odds are you were more of a "pirate" than I allegedly am. This isn't the mid 90s anymore, where pirating such games was costing these companies real money. The days of Sega v. Maphia are long gone.

Secondly,

It annoys me that you jump all over people about obtaining games illegally, but you do it yourself.

Feel free to cite some sources with this. But for the record, yes I do look down upon most people who pirate simply because they don't feel like paying for a game and then never pay for it if they end up liking it or playing it for extended periods. Yes I have admitted to some piracy in the past, but any games I pirated I either A: Quickly deleted because I ended up not liking it, or B: Purchased upon completion to support the developers. Fact is I wouldn't have to pirate if PC gaming could come up with some sort of rental system, but alas that has yet to happen and odds are it never will. Sadly the days of shareware are long gone and game demos are increasingly rare, the reasons of which are explained here. And you're obtuse in your thinking to equate emulating 25+ year old games with pirating modern software. It's not an apples to apples comparison. Me pirating a copy of Undertale, an easily legally obtainable game wherein I'm denying the developer hard earned money is not the same thing as "pirating" a copy of Little Samson for NES, a game that costs literally thousands of dollars to buy (minus playing reproduction copies, which I think would technically also be illegal) and where NO money would be going to the original developers or Nintendo.

I'd also like to point out that I do not openly advocate for piracy via emulation, nor do I criticize people who choose to not partake (believe me, there are plenty who do so, as you can see here.) But the fact of the matter is that companies like Nintendo do not care about people emulating their old games. The most obvious proof of this is in the numerous ROM hosting sites on the internet. This isn't like the old days of BBS sites and FTP site swapping, where secrecy was necessary and oftentimes trying to get such files exposed users to rather unsavory sites that could contain viruses or other unwanted files. Rather, these are sites that are a simple Google query away. So with all these sites openly sharing ROM files, why aren't game publishers and Nintendo throwing their massive legal teams after these websites when they're clearly allowing people to steal their copyrighted material? Because it's not worth the time and effort to them to do so. They're too busy upholding their legal IPs by sending Cease & Desist orders to various fan made projects that use them. Trust me, if this was REALLY affecting them adversely, they'd be doing something about it. Yes they go after people who are stupid enough to try and SELL and profit off of the individual games, but the fact that a number of these sites have been up since I was in college (I graduated in 2004) shows that Nintendo and other companies view us "Stealing" from them via emulation as a very low priority. And it's not like Nintendo doesn't go after such places. See this example where it filed suit against a site that allowed for easy piracy of DS games.

Talk about twisting words. My point was that making digital copies of ROM files are essential to preserving these games, because the media they are on is going to inevitably go bad and cease to work. For crying out loud, Archive.org has hundreds of dumped ROM files (not NES, but ROMS nonetheless) on their website to provide a digital archive so they can still be played by others. There's numerous current IPs on there, but you don't see all their owners rushing to shut them down. Come to think of it, the only one was Nintendo, when Archive.org decided to upload a bunch of the old Nintendo Power magazines. So Nintendo went all legal when it came to someone putting up scans of old magazines, yet not when it comes to old ROM dumping sites. Food for thought.

To wrap up, I would like to personally apologize for offending you so much that you took time out on this, the day we celebrate the birth of our Lord Jesus Christ, to point out what a hypocrite and horrible person I am for "stealing" from these multi-billion dollar corporations, one of them being of the most anti-consumer of the gaming industry. Let's not forget that Nintendo is the same company that sued to stop game rentals, artificially limits hardware supply with every console release (including the NES Classic) and steals ad revenue from YouTubers by throwing out DMCA claims on everyone that dares to upload footage of a Nintendo game. But alas, I guess in the grand scheme of things, we have to look beyond the fact that in my game libraries I have 309 games on Steam, 69 on Good Old Games (ALL of which could be easily pirated because GoG Games have no DRM), 21 on Origin, 16 on uPlay, and hundreds more on Humble Bundles, along with the dozens of other games that I purchased back in the dark ages before widespread high speed internet.

You know, I was hoping I could go to bed after writing all this, but it seems that you've continued on this moral crusade of yours, so let me amend my comments further:

I have seen him post about downloading games like this at least three different times. And your wrong, he jumped down my throat about Id games once, which source code had been released for.

First off, I'm sure your English teacher would be proud to know that their lessons about proper use of contractions has carried on to your adulthood, but let's look at the accusation leveled against me here.

I apologize if you felt that this was me, as you say, jumping down your throat:

upload_2016-12-25_21-58-41.png

Source

I'll make sure from now on to temper my comments to you accordingly when I've noticed you said something that was factually inaccurate.

And what I said is true. It annoys me and pisses me off when people have one set of values for themselves and a totally different set for other people.
Again, if this was an apples to apples comparison I'd agree with you, but emulating games that were made back before the person you're responding to entered elementary school where the developers can't make any money from them anymore, and pirating Fallout 4 (which was allegedly the most pirated game of last year) are not the same thing. In the most narrow of definitions, yes it is, but in PRACTICAL and real world definitions, it is not. If it were, then Nintendo and other companies would be fighting a lot harder than they currently are to stop it.

In closing, I leave you with this:

Did the mini Nintendo this thead is about, or the Wii, for in their play store just download the games from a torrent and load them up? Maybe they did, I don't know. I don't have a high opinion of torrent feed stuff myself, for obvious reasons.

And no, I am not a pirate. I'm actually a very honest person. Thanks for pointing out that my education isn't as good as yours.

I'm very sorry and apoligize that I caused you strife yesterday. It won't happen again.

I own many classic consoles and many games for them. I also own quite a few of those carts with an SD card slot to avoid touching the games I do have in boxes and for the ones I don't own. If you think I'm going to buy every single game in existence from 20 to 35 years ago you're out of your mind.

Want to call me a pirate then go ahead. Rrrrrr matey..........

Getting back on topic as Smith mentioned above, I considered this mini NES but felt that for the money it's kind of a rip off. That's just my opinion and doesn't mean a damn thing. I'd prefer to mod my NES for RGB output and keep using that. There are some key games for me that are missing from this new little guy that may have pushed me to get one had they been included. I'll admit at first I was tempted to get it.

Reactions: Ronnie-
Getting back on topic as Smith mentioned above, I considered this mini NES but felt that for the money it's kind of a rip off. That's just my opinion and doesn't mean a damn thing. I'd prefer to mod my NES for RGB output and keep using that. There are some key games for me that are missing from this new little guy that may have pushed me to get one had they been included. I'll admit at first I was tempted to get it.
Same here, I won't pay a markup for the NES Mini, but if I come across one in the store I'll probably pick it up at it's retail price. Boys would probably wind up using the controllers more as wii classic controllers than on the mini, but it would still be a nice to have.

As for emulators and such, I do have a retro freak to use for old style games (lets me play Genesis and NES/SNES games using HMDI), but the ones we play are almost all ones I had stashed in the closet (I've never gotten rid of any old games or systems, so have several boxes of old games, even some Atari 2600 and Vic 20 games), or we picked up cheap at some retro stores near Atlanta.

I found one by chance at Wal Mart several weeks ago. I'll keep an eye out

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)