MLB Network

Or people like me who don't subscribe to ST and still love the NFL network. Watch those classic games, highlights, news, and the Thursday night games.

so true. I like the classic games. But sometimes its hard because we're so use to graphics and always on score toppers....in those classic games if you see a score at commercial time you're lucky :D

You get the games, and some news with EI, but from what I have seen on MLB, there is alot of news and coverage that EI doesnt offer (or any other channel for that matter). There are old games, stadium specific cameras (which I cant wait to see), ect. Its just another way to get what one wants when it comes to baseball.

Makes sense. But I guess if your already an EI sub and get all the local coverage you can stomach...MLBN is just gravy...

I guess I see the real value of MLBN as being the channel for the true baseball fan who doesn't have the time or money to invest in EI, but would like a decent jumpstart to their MLB viewing experience regardless. I mean, one or two more games of the week is not a bad thing, but EI would be overkill for my baseball viewing needs...and there are a lot like me who enjoy their televised baseball the same way...

MLB would be a perfect channel for Dish in this fashion. The dedicated baseball viewing experience without the overkill of the dedicated sports package. ITs just a shame E* cannot offer it. I guess the real debate here is that while its not being offered by E*, is it a case where E* is alienating its baseball fan subscribers by not offering EI and therefore MLBN? Or is it MLB alienating their own fans in general by not making MLB available overall, and only to those providers who carry EI where many of the dedicated baseball fans who probably already sub to EI don't even really need it. All things considered I tend to believe the latter...

Makes sense. But I guess if your already an EI sub and get all the local coverage you can stomach...MLBN is just gravy...

I guess I see the real value of MLBN as being the channel for the true baseball fan who doesn't have the time or money to invest in EI, but would like a decent jumpstart to their MLB viewing experience regardless. I mean, one or two more games of the week is not a bad thing, but EI would be overkill for my baseball viewing needs...and there are a lot like me who enjoy their televised baseball the same way...

MLB would be a perfect channel for Dish in this fashion. The dedicated baseball viewing experience without the overkill of the dedicated sports package. ITs just a shame E* cannot offer it. I guess the real debate here is that while its not being offered by E*, is it a case where E* is alienating its baseball fan subscribers by not offering EI and therefore MLBN? Or is it MLB alienating their own fans in general by not making MLB available overall, and only to those providers who carry EI where many of the dedicated baseball fans who probably already sub to EI don't even really need it. All things considered I tend to believe the latter...
And for what Smith and I have stated that is NOT offered in EI: classic games, news, highlights, hot stove reports, additional games outside of EI, and off season viewing. None of this is offered with EI.

As DISH hasn't had MLB-EI for 2 years now, I would just think that MOST of the avid baseball fans wouldn't be DISH subs. I don't think people are missing something they never have had, and the funny thing is - there have to be tons of people that don't even know that MLB Network even is on the air.

As DISH hasn't had MLB-EI for 2 years now, I would just think that MOST of the avid baseball fans wouldn't be DISH subs. I don't think people are missing something they never have had, and the funny thing is - there have to be tons of people that don't even know that MLB Network even is on the air.

I thought last year was the 1st year they didnt have it?

I have sent E* 12 e-mails from the MLB Network website since January 1. I have not received any answers (I really was expecting an automated response at best), what I would like to know are two things:
1. Are these kind of e-mails from MLB Network actually helpful?
2. Has anyone else sent one of these e -mails and received a response?

This is so true, even among baseball fans. If I didn't tell several people, including family members and friends whom are baseball fans themselves, they would not have know it was on the air. The providers need to do a better job at informing their subs.

And for what Smith and I have stated that is NOT offered in EI: classic games, news, highlights, hot stove reports, additional games outside of EI, and off season viewing. None of this is offered with EI.

Thats what I meant by Gravy...

what games outside of EI? I thought EI was every game imaginable...

There are games that either arent televised by either team (usually those get-away day matinees) or only one team has it televised and its on "local" (OTA) TV and I dont think EI has those feeds.

I know NHL & NBA use OTA feeds but EI doesn't

I agree. Even if E brought back MLB-EI and you're only true interest is just in the MLB network and you don't plan on subscribing to a package like MLBEI, I would say just stay put. Changing providers over one channel like this to me isn't worth it. and you don't know if after you switch providers E will suddenly be able to add this channel. You can't miss what you didn't have to begin with. If you're really happy with E i say just stay put.

My point wtih regards to MLB-EI and Dish...after two years...people have had plenty of choice as to whether or not they want EI or not. The ones that are left obviously don't. And the ones that wouldn't mind more baseball in their lives but don't want or need the overkill, are the ones being alienated...

As for "missing something they never had"...come on already...thats not a valid argument. The fact is, if its a single channel thats available and meant for baseball fans, than all fans should have access to it. Not just the ones who MLB deems 'worthy' on the basis of some sports package that the new channel isn't even slated to be a part of...

Thats what I meant by Gravy...

MLB Net will be showing some games, like they do on Fox Saturday baseball or NFL Net Thursday Football, on certain day(s) of the week. Details haven't been worked out yet.

There are games that either arent televised by either team (usually those get-away day matinees) or only one team has it televised and its on "local" (OTA) TV and I dont think EI has those feeds.

I know NHL & NBA use OTA feeds but EI doesn't

Well, yeah...I already knew that just living in Chicago with two teams. There is always a game on OTA game on WCIU 26 thats just a spill-over channel for the broadcast. Are you saying MLBN will show those games?

I agree. Even if E brought back MLB-EI and you're only true interest is just in the MLB network and you don't plan on subscribing to a package like MLBEI, I would say just stay put. Changing providers over one channel like this to me isn't worth it. and you don't know if after you switch providers E will suddenly be able to add this channel. You can't miss what you didn't have to begin with. If you're really happy with E i say just stay put.

But if its truly a channel meant for general availability, and MLB is just using that channel to show preference to their current EI providers...how does that not alienate those fans who sub to one of the other providers?

My point wtih regards to MLB-EI and Dish...after two years...people have had plenty of choice as to whether or not they want EI or not. The ones that are left obviously don't. And the ones that wouldn't mind more baseball in their lives but don't want or need the overkill, are the ones being alienated...

As for "missing something they never had"...come on already...thats not a valid argument. The fact is, if its a single channel thats available and meant for baseball fans, than all fans should have access to it. Not just the ones who MLB deems 'worthy' on the basis of some sports package that the new channel isn't even slated to be a part of...

Since 36 pay TV companies are offering MLB-EI and MLB Network (covering 50 million subs), I would be venting towards the provider NOT willing to contract for it as opposed to Major League Baseball if I felt alienated.

If a local cable company can make economic sense of it, and if FiOS can make economic sense of it, and if DirecTV can make economic sense of it - why is it that DISH can't make economic sense of it?

Remember for example in my home market (NY - which is the LARGEST DMA), they still have no intention of offering the most viewed RSN in the nation - and they are the ONLY pay outlet that doesn't offer it. It is their choice, but I got to tell you it makes no sense to me. I don't blame YES Network for this at all, but when I left CABLEVISION I went to DirecTV for this reason, and this reason alone.