Moment of insanity...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

T4Runner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 3, 2010
37.0N 119.5W California
I have a pile of extra dishes not being used and a 62ft ham radio tower. The idea occurred to me that to be able to get 30W KU which is a minus 8.3 deg. Almost due East, I need to elevate the dish and/or invert it; but how much?

I can attach the dish to the tower comfortably at 17ft above ground. Think it will pick up a below horizon sat???

And, on another note, is anyone in California able to get 30W?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, I labeled this "moment of insanity" didn't I? Okay, I knew the answer, but had a McGiver flash.....

Reactions: DJdish
Unfortunately ... I don't think you're close to getting it. But. it's an interesting question.

The horizon is about 3 miles away when you're standing on the ground (assuming flat ground, right?)

We can use this to work out how far you can see at 62 feet .... or just Google and find someone who has already done the calculation:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/01/15/how-far-away-is-the-horizon/#.U_exhbxdUkk

At 62 feet high, you're seeing about 9 miles away, which probably isn't much help for anything. If you live up on a hill, you're already winning, but to go the few hundred miles to get Hispasat, you need to be at 100,000- 200,000 feet, so just watch out for aircraft when you're climbing the tower ;)

Unfortunately ... I don't think you're close to getting it. But. it's an interesting question.

The horizon is about 3 miles away when you're standing on the ground (assuming flat ground, right?)

We can use this to work out how far you can see at 62 feet .... or just Google and find someone who has already done the calculation:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/badastronomy/2009/01/15/how-far-away-is-the-horizon/#.U_exhbxdUkk

At 62 feet high, you're seeing about 9 miles away, which probably isn't much help for anything. If you live up on a hill, you're already winning, but to go the few hundred miles to get Hispasat, you need to be at 100,000- 200,000 feet, so just watch out for aircraft when you're climbing the tower ;)

That was a fun article. Reminded me of past algebra and trigonometry classes eons ago. I do live in the foothills at 1300 ft. Elev., but I still have hills higher East of me.

Figured this out (thread has got to B 2 yrs old now) for a satellite that just 1 degree below the horizon, IIRR, it worked out to something like 40k feet to have 1 degree of separation between the sat and the horizon.

For extra credit, if Hispasat is on a train that leaves Chicago at noon traveling at 60 mph, and your dish is on a truck that leaves Los Angeles at 1pm traveling at 40 mph, when will SES3 finally go into service at 103W?

NEVER, because DirecTV owns the truck! :stooges

Ha! Did you ever, the FCC kicked back their application for that slot? But just to refiled, so probably a longer delay.

I say wait for amc 1 to fall out of the sky comes crashing down then say can we have ses 3 comes online now. Or let it crash down on the front door of the fcc say this is your sign turn on ses3.

For extra credit, if Hispasat is on a train that leaves Chicago at noon traveling at 60 mph, and your dish is on a truck that leaves Los Angeles at 1pm traveling at 40 mph, when will SES3 finally go into service at 103W?

Beats me, but I´d like to know if theoretically it would be possible to watch the Equity channels on 123w, going back on time, or jumping into a parallel universe or something.

Beats me, but I´d like to know if theoretically it would be possible to watch the Equity channels on 123w, going back on time, or jumping into a parallel universe or something.
If you can get to warp 9.2 you might catch up with them out around Alpha Centuri somewhere :biggrin.
And no,I didn't do the math :facepalm

Reactions: DJdish
How many unused dishes are we talking about?

you asked...

That would be:

5ft solid steel echostar prime focus C band/polar mount
1.2m Channel Master
1m? Forget what size
ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1408816408.660048.jpg

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1408816451.720300.jpg

And numerous and sundry feedhorns and LNBs, couple C band Actuators, couple new KU dishes, and might even throw in a chicken that is going to end up in the stew pot if she doesn't start laying eggs again!

Just thinking.. would a 5ft C* dish perform better than a 1.2m offset minibud? Obviously its bigger but wondering if the
offset angles factor in.

Used Parabola Calculator 2.0 for these
entered 4Ghz as freq

5ft dia prime focus 7 inches deep
(actually,, using any depth resulted in the same gain)

f/D = 0.38
Focal Length = 22.50 in.
Illumination angle for feed = 134.8 degrees
Space attenuation = 3.19 dB
Desired taper = 6.81 db for 10 dB edge illumination
A simple feed horn would have a diameter of 0.74 wavelengths for a 3 dB beamwidth of 89.47 degrees
Gain at 50% efficiency = 33.10 dBi

Calculated for a 1.2m offset

Gain at 50% efficiency = 31.16 dBi.If you do really well, you might get 60% efficiency for a gain = 31.95 dBi.

So the 5ft prime has a bit more gain.
Which would concur with it having a bit more effective area. Offset angle has no bearing on gain.

Reactions: T4Runner
Just thinking.. would a 5ft C* dish perform better than a 1.2m offset minibud? Obviously its bigger but wondering if the
offset angles factor in.

I have tried both, and for me the 5ft solid metal C band dish did an outstanding job; but... This was prior to all of the Transition to DVB-S2 and I found the 1.2m dish great for any KU sat channel. But my frustration level tuning DVB-S2 went down in direct proportion to the increase in C band dish size.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts