Most Pay TV Subscribers Stay Because It’s Bundled With Broadband, Survey Finds

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
http://deadline.com/2017/03/most-pa...bundled-broadband-deloitte-survey-1202048111/

The rumbling under the ground of traditional television is growing louder according to the results of Deloitte’s latest annual Digital Democracy Survey, which polled 2,131 U.S. consumers in early November.

The audit, consulting, tax and advisory firm found that 74% of U.S. households subscribe to pay TV and about two-thirds of these people say they keep it because it’s bundled with internet service.

http://deadline.com/2017/03/most-pa...bundled-broadband-deloitte-survey-1202048111/

The rumbling under the ground of traditional television is growing louder according to the results of Deloitte’s latest annual Digital Democracy Survey, which polled 2,131 U.S. consumers in early November.

The audit, consulting, tax and advisory firm found that 74% of U.S. households subscribe to pay TV and about two-thirds of these people say they keep it because it’s bundled with internet service.
It is cheaper for me to bundle the internet and basic TV from Comcast (Internet Plus) than to get the internet alone. I have never hooked up the cable box for TV.

It is cheaper for me to bundle the internet and basic TV from Comcast (Internet Plus) than to get the internet alone. I have never hooked up the cable box for TV.

It depends on what special Comcast is running at the time. Some months stand alone internet is cheaper than internet plus, others it is not.

The reason why people end up keeping the bundle is because for example let's say they have a $79.99 double play with Tv/internet.

When you figure the HD access fee and modem rental it's $99/mo.

The customer calls to break their bundle, and find out internet only is the regular rack rate of $68.99 plus $10 for the modem.

So it's either $78.99 for internet only or a bundle for $99.

People don't want to feel ripped off and for $21 more all of a sudden the Tv is a good value to keep.

The thing the providers don't do is give you a promotional rate for a single service when you got multiple services.

This is why Dish continues to bleed subscribers every quarter. They have no internet solution. Granted they have "dish net" but the second something else such as cable or DSL becomes available these customers these customers are gone.

Makes sense, also this is why AT&T reintroduced the unlimited plan about a year ago exclusively to DIRECTV subscribers, now they offer it to everyone, but that was good business decision for the people wanting to stay with AT&T, plus they got like $10 combined billing discount.

So it's either $78.99 for internet only or a bundle for $99.

People don't want to feel ripped off and for $21 more all of a sudden the Tv is a good value to keep.

The thing the providers don't do is give you a promotional rate for a single service when you got multiple services.

Yep. We were upset to see our bill go up ~$30 after the transition to spectrum was complete. We have all 3 services, and the total price is still cheaper than we paid for each one individually.

We did inquire about making changes after the price increase, and if we were to drop TV and only keep internet and phone, our bill would only go down ~$20..... :(

We stayed put.

The bundle package price with Comcast is a good deal, what made it a really bad deal was all the extra fees, $5 locals, $5 local sports channels, HD Tech fee with DVR-$9.95, 4 extra boxes (basement, our bedroom, 2 kids so each of their rooms) $9.99 each, so basically a extra $60 a month.

When I called them the best deal they gave me with all those extra fees was $199 a month ( Starter Package with 1G broadband).

Dropped down to 1G Broadband only at $70( had to agree to a 3 year contract) and went to Playstation Vue at $35 a month ( Core Slim) which has all the channels we want.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

Makes sense, also this is why AT&T reintroduced the unlimited plan about a year ago exclusively to DIRECTV subscribers, now they offer it to everyone, but that was good business decision for the people wanting to stay with AT&T, plus they got like $10 combined billing discount.

They make the offer so good you would be stupid to switch providers.

The bundle package price with Comcast is a good deal, what made it a really bad deal was all the extra fees, $5 locals, $5 local sports channels, HD Tech fee with DVR-$9.95, 4 extra boxes (basement, our bedroom, 2 kids so each of their rooms) $9.99 each, so basically a extra $60 a month.

When I called them the best deal they gave me with all those extra fees was $199 a month ( Starter Package with 1G broadband).

Dropped down to 1G Broadband only at $70( had to agree to a 3 year contract) and went to Playstation Vue at $35 a month ( Core Slim) which has all the channels we want.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

You should look into a TIVO, it will drop $50 off your bill saving the HD TECH fee, additional receiver and dvr fees.

It should be a break even in 12 months.

You should look into a TIVO, it will drop $50 off your bill saving the HD TECH fee, additional receiver and dvr fees.

It should be a break even in 12 months.

How could I save $$$ with that, buying 5 Tivo would be roughly $800 ( Bolt with 4 minis), then the monthly charge of 14.99, then getting the cable card from Comcast, since they now charge for the first one $9.99 -2.50=another $7.49 a month ( they call it a access charge now ).

It would take me a year and a half to break even on just the Tivo boxes alone, still have a monthly charge (Tivo fee and cable card) plus all the other fees (Locals and sports, tax on cable TV service).

Sent from my iPad using the SatelliteGuys app!

I made the switch from DirecTV to Comcast with Tivo boxes and have been very pleased. It is an excellent DVR, love the guide interface, and recording management, and the mini boxes work great.

It eliminates all hardware fees from my cable bill. My bill is $90 for my package (double play starter and blast internet), $5 for sports pack, $5 for RSN fee and $7 for locals fee. With tax I am right at $110/month all-in.

I bought used Tivo equipment, a Roamio Pro for $525 and the Mini's came from various sources but were around $90 each.
While I spent a lot on equipment, I did so knowing I was eliminating equipment fees of $40-$50 a month. With DirecTV I had $50/month between HD/DVR/MRV and receiver fees. With Comcast it would have been at least $40 between HD-DVR access and X1 additional rooms. I figured my break even on the Tivo cost vs. equipment rental is around 18 months, depending on how many rooms.

The big factor for me there, is that if I do leave cable I can resell the equipment and recoup some of that cost, likely at least half, as Tivo holds their value pretty well.
If I stay with cable after the two year intro price, particularly if I can get a deal again for a year or two, I'm then coming out significantly ahead on the equipment side.

While I did buy the previous generation hardware, the Tivo Roamio (Plus or Pro) is very similar to the Tivo Bolt+, but I like that it is in a metal casing with better cooling, though has a slower processor. The only noticeable different between them is in loading streaming apps.

I'd be replacing my old premiere with a Bolt to get the 4k streaming, but they raised the fee on lifetime to unacceptable levels. So poor me, I have to settle on using the UHD player for streaming 4k content.

I am now down to internet and OTA. Gave up on TWC/Spectrum when they wouldn't lower my price. I watch mostly broadcast, so why pay for cable?

I'd be replacing my old premiere with a Bolt to get the 4k streaming, but they raised the fee on lifetime to unacceptable levels. So poor me, I have to settle on using the UHD player for streaming 4k content.

I am now down to internet and OTA. Gave up on TWC/Spectrum when they wouldn't lower my price. I watch mostly broadcast, so why pay for cable?

The Bolt currently still only streams Netflix and Youtube at 4K. Being OTA only you could have jumped on the $249 All In Lifetime Roamio OTA offer Tivo had last week.

The Bolt currently still only streams Netflix and Youtube at 4K. Being OTA only you could have jumped on the $249 All In Lifetime Roamio OTA offer Tivo had last week.
Yeah, I have a 4 tuner Roamio with lifetime, as well as the 2 tuner Premier with lifetime and a mini. It would have just been for the streaming, but I can stream 4k from both the UHD player and the samsung TV. Not worth the $$

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)