Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Get rid of many of these ads and be part of our community! Registration is FREE!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP!

Mount joey behind TV?

Discussion in 'The Hopper Zone' started by mfoster711, Jul 28, 2012.

1. mfoster711

mfoster711 Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

I have read that the Joey is small enough to mount behind your TV but I was wondering if anybody has done it? Anybody have pictures of a Joey mounted behind the TV?

Advertisements Register Today!

Reigster at SatelliteGuys
  2. Tucker James

Tucker James Member

Mine is dropped down behind a dresser in a bedroom, in a closet of another bedroom. If its rf remote concerns. They work great.
  3. sperry85

sperry85 Member

Most flat screens have 4 screw holes on the back for mounting brackets. On smaller TV's, the 4 holes match up with the holes on the Joey's base plate and you can screw the base plate to the back of the TV. Larger TV's the holes are spaced further apart, on these I use one of the top corners of the base plate. If TV is mounted, I ziptie the baseplate to the mounting bracket with the ziptie going vertically in the middle of the baseplate.

Be sure and find the word 'horizontal' on the baseplate and have it be the top, so the Joey slides down onto it and won't fall off it. And the joeys come with 4 screws for mounting to TV's or walls.
  4. DFPope

DFPope Member

It's my understanding that all of the remotes talk only to the Hopper anyway.
    Can someone verify this ?
  5. Bobby

Bobby Publican Supporting Founder

Actually you turn the Joey on and off with the remote. ;)
  6. JM42

JM42 Active SatelliteGuys Member

Remotes talk to the device they are paired with. A joey remote talks to the joey only, not the hopper.
  7. navychop

navychop Member of the Month - July 2014! Pub Member / Supporter

You pair a remote to a Hopper or a Joey. That will be the only device your Dish supplied RF remote will talk to.

You can also use IR remotes such as Harmony.
  8. dentke

dentke Member

I used some 2" wide Velcro that Lowes sells. It works great. Joey is completely out of sight.
    I didn't use the mounting plate that came with the Joey to save the extra weight.

image-3486958398.jpg
  9. CubsWin

CubsWin Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member

I did the same exact thing with "Sticky Back" Velcro and it works very well.
  10. CulpeperUplink

CulpeperUplink Member

I have wall mounted two joeys used all the supplied dish bracket an wall anchors and screws with no real problem. The only oops I ran into was I had to rotate the bracket a few times to find up.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Attached Files:

11. heywire

heywire Member

We just painted, so I have recent pictures of our bedroom setup. 32" LCD with quite a bit of tilt so we can see from bed.

Attached Files:

12. mfoster711

mfoster711 Thread Starter Active SatelliteGuys Member

So the Joey comes with a bracket to wall mount it?

Also, thanks to everybody for the pictures, that really helps!
  13. 3HaloODST

3HaloODST SatelliteGuys Family Pub Member / Supporter

The Joey comes with a stand that can either mount to the Joey horizontally or vertically. It also has screw holes for wall mounting.

Here's a picture of the Joey along with it's accessories (including the stand) :-

Hopper5.jpg

(Ignore the TR-40)
  14. DustoMan

DustoMan Active SatelliteGuys Member Pub Member / Supporter

Would the adhesive on the Velcro lose it's stickiness if the Joey got too hot?
  15. cfrank10

cfrank10 Member

My installer told me there would be no proble if I cut the wall open and put it in wall. My TV is flat on wall and surounded by mirrors (bar tv). He said there would be no heating issues. After 20 minutes the first time I used it the Joey shut down with a message that said it was 174 degrees and won't come back on till it gets below 158 degrees. Moral of the story, don't believe installers or mount in the wall.
  16. Tucker James

Tucker James Member

Any electronic device that creates heat with no ventilation would be a problem I would think.....
  17. Tucker James

Tucker James Member

Like said before, remotes pair to their device.

I like the harmony 1100 better than the 40.0 though.
  18. knot

knot PIT MEMBER

Especially in a wall. Moral of the story is use some common sense.
  19. Tucker James

Tucker James Member

Man, especially with temps being what they are lately everywhere. It's like putting it in an oven.
  20. dentke

dentke Member

I haven't had any problems with the stickiness of the Velcro that I'm using to attach my Joey to the back of the monitor. I have had it in place for 4 months.