Moving 722k from one tv to another

snowhownd

Original poster
Apr 6, 2011
Maine
We have a VIP722k (dual tv box) and two tv's. The box was originally setup on the tv in our living room. Our second tv is located in the bedroom. Neither of the tv's we owned when we setup the service were HD. We recently purchased a HD tv for the bedroom so I wanted to move the box to the bedroom to take advantage of having HD. I tried to just move the box and plug everything in but the box would not get signal. I went outside and checked out the wiring and noticed that the wire comes out of the dish and goes into a splitter (one wire then going to each one of our tv's). I figured maybe the splitter sent different signals to the two tv's (one to the one with the box and one to the one without) so I swapped the wires on the splitter thinking that would solve the box not being able to get signal. It did not help - still nothing. To test my theory I put the box back on the original tv (but left the cables in the reversed positions on the splitter) and just as before it would not receive signal. I reversed the cables back to their original locations on the splitter and the box got signal no problem and everything worked just as it had before. I am stumped! There must be something I am missing!
Thanks!

That's not a splitter, it's a diplexer. The installer did a "backfeed" of your 722's RF output to your bedroom TV. Note that diplexers come in pairs. You have to cable them up consistently. Leave the one on the back of your 722 as it is when working. On the outside of the house, you want to take the cable going to your BR and swap it with the one going to your LR.

Last edited:
Okay, so there should be another 'diplexer' somewhere? Where would it be, on the line to the tv with the box, or the one without the box?
Thanks for your help.

diplexertv2.jpg

Okay, so there should be another 'diplexer' somewhere?
See edited reply (and Matt's excellent diagram) above. I edited my post to make it less inscrutable. ;) Note that the diplexer and separator on the back of your receiver could be combined into one can called a triplexer. (That's not in Matt's diagram.)

Okay Sorry for the delay in getting back to this... I've been sick. Anyways I checked things out and I have a 'triplexer' as outlined in the second diagram. What I did before I think is exactly what you suggested... swapped the wires on the diplexer out by the dish (Holland dpd2)... I swapped the in/out line with the VHF/UHF lines. Then moved the box to the bedroom tv and it didn't work! Puzzling! I will try it again now. And you don't think I should need to change anything on the triplexer on the back of the box, right?
Thanks for your guys' help on this,
Matt

Mystery solved! I had my local installer come by and check it out since it still did not work. He found that when he originally installed it he accidentally had a strand of the sheilding wrapped around the main filiment of the cable - causing it to short out. This was on the cable that used to UHF but was now on the box - he said it wouldn't make a different as UHF, but when it was the main line to the box was preventing satellite contact. So I'm not crazy!! Thanks for your help guys - happy HD!!

Matt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)