Moving (not "moving") soon. My offer...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb1980

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 26, 2010
Vermont
I am legit moving soon. I called today to schedule it. Without asking about upgrades or anything, the CSR offered me the newest HR44 Genie to replace my HR34. He saw that I have called and emailed about it several times and guaranteed that I would get a HR44. I asked about that, since we all know that they can't guarantee a specific receiver and other CSRs said that the 34 and 44 are "the same". Interestingly, he said that's not true and he does it all the time. He said that he knows how "awful" and "buggy" the HR34 can be and prefers people to not have them. I guess we'll see. I got the premier package free for 3 months and half price Sunday Ticket, without asking, too. I did ask for completely free Sunday Ticket, but he said no.

If it's true, and I do get a HR44, I have some questions based on things I have read on here about the differences between the HR34 and HR44:

1. I have seen on here that the AM21 connects differently to the HR44 receiver. How exactly does it connect to it?
2. What are the stipulations about using the "real" Directv remote (RC65RX) in RF mode with a HR44? With 3Net gone, I have no reason to have two receivers and will be sharing one receiver on two TVs since I never watch both at the same time. I will be splitting the component output. The second TV is only in the next room and so it's not far. In the future, I may upgrade to HDMI, but I currently have more than enough component cables and no HDMI splitter.
3. I know that the HDMI and component do not work consistently at being "live" at the same time. Do the coax digital audio and analog (white/red audio) output work at the same time?

Thanks.

1 I don't believe there is a difference mine works fine.
2 it won't in rf.. end of story.
3. Yes they do and I believe they will.

There is no way to absolutely be certain that a 44 will be installed. Cannot be done. You get what the tech has on his truck. And since you already have a genie on your account it's up to the tech to add the box swap to your order. The csr has nothing to do with it.

1 I don't believe there is a difference mine works fine.
2 it won't in rf.. end of story.
3. Yes they do and I believe they will.

There is no way to absolutely be certain that a 44 will be installed. Cannot be done. You get what the tech has on his truck. And since you already have a genie on your account it's up to the tech to add the box swap to your order. The csr has nothing to do with it.

I could have sworn I saw on here that the AM21 connects slightly differently to the HR44 than the other receivers.

I suppose I could use the white remote in IR mode with the HR44 and deal with the new remote in RF mode in the bedroom. It will also help me get used to it.

I hope I get the HR44, but I understand that I might not. I trust this forum over the call center any day.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

I have 7 left on my van... you can has one of mine :)

Just ask the tech if he will "service swap your 34 for a 44" as long as he has one it takes like two minutes.

What area do you install in?

I am moving more north than that. I will pass by and maybe see your work along I 78 haha. You can leave a HR44 at a rest area if you want haha.

Also if we're sorta in the same direction I believe you are living in my region which does stock hr44s. Just ask the tech like I originally posted. Note I said region not dma lol. I think we're a couple hundred miles off.

Also if we're sorta in the same direction I believe you are living in my region which does stock hr44s. Just ask the tech like I originally posted. Note I said region not dma lol. I think we're a couple hundred miles off.

Northern Vermont is pretty far from Binghamton. Burlington DMA is HD only (no standard definition locals) so hopefully that will help the chances. The AM21 is the only way to get SD locals for Fox and ABC. It will be hard to leave here with 50+ total locals and go to where there are 16. The only non-PBS subchannels are MeTV, rtv (analog only), a weather scan, and SD duplicates on -2's. Montreal is possible however. This is what "moving" after moving is for.

Lol good luck with that. Your outside my region after all. But we're neighboring regions... pretty sure you'll get a 44. We just got 5 techs back that were traveling to the VA region. They were in danger of breach.

Lol good luck with that. Your outside my region after all. But we're neighboring regions... pretty sure you'll get a 44. We just got 5 techs back that were traveling to the VA region. They were in danger of breach.

Rant alert.

I am so sick of this piece of garbage HR34 screwing things up.
I am so $@%^ing sick of pressing a button and nothing happens.
I am sick of not being able to record on NBC again.
I am sick of the thing just freezing.
I am sick of fearing the rewind button because who knows if it will stop rewinding.
I am sick of the thing changing my recordings. I used to diligently watch the "to do" list to verify that things were set to record because they so often got missed. Last year, it stopped that. However, I have watched "The Bridge" since the beginning. Last week - when I was out of town - it apparently decided that I don't need to watch this show anymore - completely gone from my DVR so I missed last week's and this week's episodes. The show "Manhattan" I told it to record when the promotions started. It was hard to ignore the ad that showed up in the corner of my Tribune-owned local Fox 8 news and the real TV ads were compelling. I usually record 3 or 4 episodes of a show before I watch it to make sure it's not cancelled and so I can get into the show better. Anyway... Manhattan never recorded. Week 3, I re-set up the recording, taking "First run" off so it would record the repeats. Nothing. I manually recorded every episode but the stupid Directv software can't figure out how to display the episode number so I have to watch with the wikipedia episode page open next to me. I see that this Sunday's Manhattan IS set to record. We'll see.
Last year, I stopped recording "New Girl" because it got stupid. Now I see it again recording.
Does this have a mind of its own? If I wasn't moving, this thing would be in my parking lot in a million pieces. My neighbor, who has Directv for less than 3 weeks, got a HR34 and I am sure he'd join me because he and his girlfriend HATE it.

Rant over. Have a nice day!

Rant alert.

I am so sick of this piece of garbage HR34 screwing things up.
I am so $@%^ing sick of pressing a button and nothing happens.
I am sick of not being able to record on NBC again.
I am sick of the thing just freezing.
I am sick of fearing the rewind button because who knows if it will stop rewinding.
I am sick of the thing changing my recordings. I used to diligently watch the "to do" list to verify that things were set to record because they so often got missed. Last year, it stopped that. However, I have watched "The Bridge" since the beginning. Last week - when I was out of town - it apparently decided that I don't need to watch this show anymore - completely gone from my DVR so I missed last week's and this week's episodes. The show "Manhattan" I told it to record when the promotions started. It was hard to ignore the ad that showed up in the corner of my Tribune-owned local Fox 8 news and the real TV ads were compelling. I usually record 3 or 4 episodes of a show before I watch it to make sure it's not cancelled and so I can get into the show better. Anyway... Manhattan never recorded. Week 3, I re-set up the recording, taking "First run" off so it would record the repeats. Nothing. I manually recorded every episode but the stupid Directv software can't figure out how to display the episode number so I have to watch with the wikipedia episode page open next to me. I see that this Sunday's Manhattan IS set to record. We'll see.
Last year, I stopped recording "New Girl" because it got stupid. Now I see it again recording.
Does this have a mind of its own? If I wasn't moving, this thing would be in my parking lot in a million pieces. My neighbor, who has Directv for less than 3 weeks, got a HR34 and I am sure he'd join me because he and his girlfriend HATE it.

Rant over. Have a nice day!

Thank you for reminding me why I don't own lease a pay TV DVR. It's also a rip off to pay to use a DVR. I use Windows Media Center on a HTPC to DVR over-the-air channels and just watch DirecTV Live.

For what it's worth, I downloaded the CE software Friday night and I have had absolutely zero issues with my HR34. I posted about it there, since I shouldn't here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts