MS says Office 2013 licenses can't transfer

John Kotches

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Troy, IL (STL Area)
MS continues to make what I would consider to be anti consumer choices with their products.

the latest, it would appear that with office 2013 we will no longer be able to transfer a license from computer to computer.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried, here's a link!

http://tinyurl.com/cj7wlze

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

Last edited:
Tell the rest of the story . It's a better deal to buy the subscription service which is always automatically current version (no more updates driven by user) and when you dump a machine, you just cancel it's service and activate the new machine.

Tell the rest of the story . It's a better deal to buy the subscription service which is always automatically current version (no more updates driven by user) and when you dump a machine, you just cancel it's service and activate the new machine.

This is the ultimate MS plan to remove the stand alone office because of widespread piracy (especially in China).

you pay more for the product, you're forced to upgrade versions of software even when you don't want to. You just turned it into an annuity for Microsoft instead of forcing them to produce compelling products that make you want to upgrade.

We don't agree that Office 365 is nirvana.

Too many people were leaving the software on their hand-me-down computers in addition to installing it on their new machine.

As nelson61 points out, the new system prevents this and similar kinds of abuse. The downside is that it pretty much demands a broadband Internet connection.

It is time to seriously consider alternatives to Microsoft Office; many of which don't suffer the security and format compatibility issues that Office is known for. There's surely something wrong with needing several megabytes of security updates a month and a document "Compatibility Pack" that has three service packs to call its own.

When the majority of computer users admit that the only reason they have Microsoft Office is to be able to review Office documents created by others or at work, the World will be a much better place. Using Office for most is like trying to use a jack hammer to hang pictures. Don't even get me started on those who paste pictures into Office documents for e-mailing.

We don't agree that Office 365 is nirvana.

Then it is not a problem for you, you don't have to subscribe to it. Mike123abc said it well. They want to stop the pirates, (china, latin America, Russia, whatever) and including the thieves that buy multiple licenses from the Microsoft tech sites and then illegally resell them. I'm for anything that stops rampant theft, the cost of which gets added on to the price the rest of us pay.

Too many people were leaving the software on their hand-me-down computers in addition to installing it on their new machine.

As nelson61 points out, the new system prevents this and similar kinds of abuse. The downside is that it pretty much demands a broadband Internet connection.

It is time to seriously consider alternatives to Microsoft Office; many of which don't suffer the security and format compatibility issues that Office is known for. There's surely something wrong with needing several megabytes of security updates a month and a document "Compatibility Pack" that has three service packs to call its own.

When the majority of computer users admit that the only reason they have Microsoft Office is to be able to review Office documents created by others or at work, the World will be a much better place. Using Office for most is like trying to use a jack hammer to hang pictures. Don't even get me started on those who paste pictures into Office documents for e-mailing.
Open Office can do the job nicely for most people and cost $0.

Sadly, OO is no where near 100%

We were forced from Star Office/OO to MS O for compatibility with our clients.

MS continues to make what I would consider to be anti consumer choices with their products.

the latest, it would appear that with office 2013 we will no longer be able to transfer a license from computer to computer.

I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried, here's a link!

http://tinyurl.com/cj7wlze

microsoft office 365 will let you use multiple computers http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B1TEIRU/?tag=satell01-20 if u are a "college student" its $79 for 4 years * must have a valid college email

Sadly, OO is no where near 100%

We were forced from Star Office/OO to MS O for compatibility with our clients.
MS keeps making it incompatible for that very reason.
20 years ago, same thing happened with Apple version & PC version.

My lawyers had to switch to MS Office for document interchange, too.
Maybe if their community could actually agree on a universal interchange format, we could make some progress.
But everyone is too busy/lazy/uninformed.

Instead of trying to get Linux running in offices, we need the open source community to make a Windows replacement.
That and Open Office on corporate systems is a pipe dream, but it's time for a new solution.

What will this mean from an IT standpoint? What happens if we need to reimage a PC?

If you're IT of any significant size, you reimage both Windows and Office from volume license media, which has no such restrictions. You simply keep a count of how many licenses you have and make sure you don't have more than that in use at any time.

I think they are calling OpenOffice.org Apache OpenOffice now. The Document Foundation also does LibreOffice, which is based on OpenOffice. These are more than adequate for a small business owner or casual user but the full-time cubicle-dwellers are forced to use MS. I have no problem going back and forth from MS Office to OpenOffice or LibreOffice when changing/editing documents and spreadsheets. Seems that Open and Libre are much faster at importing/editing PDF than MS is, but I'm still using MS Office 2010.

Plenty of free alternatives, if you actually need the functionality of Office the costs aren't bad at all really.

I much prefer the $9.99/month option, since if I ever needed office (use Google Drive for the most part, and an older version of Office on my work Macbook) I could just sub for a month or two and then cancel.

Will you be able to? Or will it morph into 1 or 2 year minimums?

When I looked, didn't see any fine print indicating as much. That was my first thought too

Edit: looks like they've got their own free type of Google Docs too, and they're free. Makes a subscription even less necessary for home consumers.

Some of the articles about this are amazing to me though, reaching really hard to find a negative.. if you stop paying the apps are "crippled" ... what would be the right thing to do when the subscription runs out, make them not even start? No, they go into a read-only mode.

Debate pricing all you want, but for those that do I'd consider if you are even part of that market, and if you are even considering the benefits. If my mom needed Office for some reason, I can give it to her as one of the 5 users of a single subscription.

I don't need it though, so I don't have it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Amazon Cloud Player comes to iPad devices

New rumors about next-gen Xbox CPU specs hit the web

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)