My Best Of CES 2014

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wallyhts

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
Hands Down!!! MY winner is the Channel Master DVR+.
http://www.channelmasterstore.com/DVR_Subscription_Free_DVR_p/cm-7500gb16.htm

I bought one :) Interview with head developer and review coming soon to Satellite Nation.

Why I choose this!
1- Awesome slick design.
2- NO COST FOR GUIDE DATA!!!!!
3- Coming features will turn this baby into whole house DVR.
4- Show's Signal and Quality of signal not just signal level like the others.

Looks great! Two ATSC tuners to handle different channels at once is a big plus.

Can you post pictures of the device? Also, it looks like there are two USB ports on the back, can they both be used for storage?

This concept from Channel Master has been around for a year or two. Pretty awesome device but a little pricey.

Looks great! Two ATSC tuners to handle different channels at once is a big plus.

Can you post pictures of the device? Also, it looks like there are two USB ports on the back, can they both be used for storage?

No just one HD at one time.

Attachments

• Channel Master_DVR PLUS_13NOV13.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 497
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 330
While it looks nice I've seen there are some drawbacks (for me at least)
(AVS has a huge thread on it)

-one being they use Rovi for the extended guide and that could go away at anytime. If you dont use the internet then it uses stations PSIP which is maybe a day. Also for wifi you need THEIR (overpriced) dongle.
-The 2nd tuner is only there to record a show while watching another. Its not a second tuner to flip to
-while it does have some type of name based recording (it records all titles with same name) it just records all episodes (even reruns)

This concept from Channel Master has been around for a year or two. Pretty awesome device but a little pricey.

Upfront cost is more but total cost of ownership is lower because Guide Data is free. :)

Guide Data 2-ways
Either from OTA
Or 14 Day from internet :)

-The 2nd tuner is only there to record a show while watching another. Its not a second tuner to flip to

They told me that you could record two things and watch one from the HD. Will test when mine gets here that can be fixed with firmware.

-while it does have some type of name based recording (it records all titles with same name) it just records all episodes (even reruns)

Firmware upgrade may fix this.

The good news is they are almost sold out and that means the demand is there which means firmware development :)

They told me that you could record two things and watch one from the HD. Will test when mine gets here that can be fixed with firmware.
you can but the 2nd tuner is there just to record. Its not like you can hit a button and flip to the other tuner as you can with other dual tuner DVR's out there (Dish, directv, tivo)

you can but the 2nd tuner is there just to record. Its not like you can hit a button and flip to the other tuner as you can with other dual tuner DVR's out there (Dish, directv, tivo)

I don't understand. Perhaps because I picked up a cold in Vegas. Give me an example please.

Lets say you want to watch 2 sporting events....lets use the NFL as example

On Directv you can select your CBS station, press the down arrow to turn on "double play" then select the local Fox. The DVR buffers both channels and you can hit the down arrow to flip to either one. You can go backwards and review what ya missed up to 90 minutes back
Dish I know they have PIP which uses two tuners. (at least on my dad's old 625 it works)
My Tivo has 2 30 minute buffers automatically. So whatever 2 channels I have it on I can flip between them

The above examples allows you to switch channels without dumping the buffer whereas the CM unit is like the DTVPal DVR I had a few years ago. The 2nd tuner was only used to record.

Lets say you want to watch 2 sporting events....lets use the NFL as example

On Directv you can select your CBS station, press the down arrow to turn on "double play" then select the local Fox. The DVR buffers both channels and you can hit the down arrow to flip to either one. You can go backwards and review what ya missed up to 90 minutes back
Dish I know they have PIP which uses two tuners. (at least on my dad's old 625 it works)
My Tivo has 2 30 minute buffers automatically. So whatever 2 channels I have it on I can flip between them

This unit is like the DTVPal DVR I had a few years ago. The 2nd tuner was only used to record.

Got Ya :)

Yup just a new model No SmartCard like the Pal so I guess no Channel 56 stuff.

Yup just a new model No SmartCard like the Pal so I guess no Channel 56 stuff.

P Smith hasn't gotten one yet to tear down. But when he does, I predict he'll find a smart card in there just like he did on the DTVPal DVR. These are both Echostar products, ya know.

TheKrell said:
P Smith hasn't gotten one yet to tear down. But when he does, I predict he'll find a smart card in there just like he did on the DTVPal DVR. These are both Echostar products, ya know.

Yes I know they are manufactured by echostar for channel master. There is no smartcard in this one keep in mind the dvrpal came out in the transition. I'll be taking one apart for sure.

After you set it all up, can you post how the tuners are, say, in how well it pulls in the stations compared to your TV's tuner, better or worse?

Do you have to buy one of their external drives, or can you use pretty much any USB external drive on it? I like the looks of it myself. After it's been out a while, one might find a home at my house. :)

A Raine said:
After you set it all up, can you post how the tuners are, say, in how well it pulls in the stations compared to your TV's tuner, better or worse?

Do you have to buy one of their external drives, or can you use pretty much any USB external drive on it? I like the looks of it myself. After it's been out a while, one might find a home at my house. :)

Yes for sure.

Any drive over 80GB anything under 80 the DVR+ thinks its getting a firmware upgrade.

It's not up to Tivo standards, but I have OTA and this unit is reasonably priced considering it comes with EPG. Plus, a 3TB Seagate drives in only $120 on eBay so it's not a bad deal for us OTA folks.

Yes I know they are manufactured by echostar for channel master. There is no smartcard in this one keep in mind the dvrpal came out in the transition. I'll be taking one apart for sure.

May you enjoy figuring out how to disassemble it as much as many of us did with the DTVPal DVR!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)