My Installation Diagram

kawdog

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
May 21, 2004
Ruston, Louisiana
Ok, I mentioned in the installations thread about how my installer yesterday had never took the VOOM class or did a VOOM installation. I did not get my OTA antenna assembled or mounted, but that is another story. What I want to know is if the way I was installed compatible with the OTA antenna. I can receive a satellite signal fine but I am concerned about when I get the OTA mounted. Please look over my crude diagram and let me know your opinions. I did not get to detailed as you will see. Thanks for your help,

kaw

Attachments

• SAT.jpg
    SAT.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,309
I only have one STB but my SAT and OTA go into the diplexor, then to the multiswitch for the house, and then to the diplexor in the back of the STB. I could be wrong but I don't think that you need the line from the dish to the multiswitch if you have the dish going to the first diplexor.

Thanks, I am just really confused with all these lines and diplexers running everywhere. The sat. works like I said, but I am worried when the antenna is mounted that is won't work for some reason. Thanks for your input.

kaw

the first diplexer combines the antenna and voom dish signal and goes to the multi switch. WHy does another line run from the dish to the multiswitch?

Maybe I drew that part wrong, I glanced at it at lunch. There must be two lines running from the diplexer to the multiswitch and I just drew it wrong. I will double check that when I get home later, sorry for the confusion.

I know for sure the rest of the setup is drawn correctly.

kaw

A multiswitch is for two sat feeds and an antenna. This guy piggybacked the antenna onto one of the sat feeds. This is done correctly and will work. I ran 3 lines to the dish myself and redid all the wires they did at my house, but you want two sat feeds and an antenna going into a multiswitch, unless it is a multi-sat dish and then you will need 4 lines from the sat to the multiswitch and one from the antenna.

does the multi switch have an input for an antenna? I think I have seen ones that do. In that case why use the first diplexer? Pardon my questions, I dont know anything about multi switches.

I was wondering that myself. Yes, the multiswitch has an input for the antenna. The whole thing looks rather redundant to me. Maybe someone can answer that for us.

kaw

well if it has antenna in id eliminate the first diplexer, just another thing to go wrong, and run the line from the antenna to the antenna in on the multiswitch which must act like a diplexer and combine the signal as well.

But again im a multiswitch newbie. Are they just required if you want more than 2 recievers?

You need a multiswitch if you have more than 2 receivers. The guy probably put in the first diplexer so that he didn't need to run another line to the multiswitch. I personally ran 8 cables from my dish to my wiring closet to handle DirecTV, Voom and dual antennas. I can see why people want to avoid having to run wire again.

Check this out. I noticed today when I was trying to figure out how to get my multiswitch out of the rain that there is ANOTHER diplexer attached. How many of these things do you need? I updated my diagram to reflect this.

kaw

Attachments

• SAT.jpg
    SAT.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 307
Just out of curiosity Kawdog, what make and model multiswitch did they install? This setup seems to be a little overboard. Also, how good are your OTA signals?

It is a Perfect Vision Multiswitch SAM3402. I paid the guy 40$ for it and just saw one on ebay for 99 cents. Anyway, as I mentioned in another post, he did not assemble or mount my OTA antenna so I cannot comment on the performance of it. That is one of the reasons I posted my installation diagram to see if anyone thought it might interfere with my locals whenever I get my antenna up and running. Also, I noticed nothing is grounded anywhere, I am not sure if that is required in Louisiana but it might be. He was a licensed installer and had his card around his neck, he was also a really nice guy. I am just happy he stayed late enough to get my sat. going. The fact is they shouldn't send guys out who have not had the VOOM course even if the guy who had it was no longer working for them. The guy who did mine works for himself and is sub-contracted out by many different companies, it wasn't his fault. I knew more about VOOM than he did though.

kaw

kawdog said:
It is a Perfect Vision Multiswitch SAM3402. I paid the guy 40$ for it and just saw one on ebay for 99 cents. Anyway, as I mentioned in another post, he did not assemble or mount my OTA antenna so I cannot comment on the performance of it. That is one of the reasons I posted my installation diagram to see if anyone thought it might interfere with my locals whenever I get my antenna up and running. Also, I noticed nothing is grounded anywhere, I am not sure if that is required in Louisiana but it might be. He was a licensed installer and had his card around his neck, he was also a really nice guy. I am just happy he stayed late enough to get my sat. going. The fact is they shouldn't send guys out who have not had the VOOM course even if the guy who had it was no longer working for them. The guy who did mine works for himself and is sub-contracted out by many different companies, it wasn't his fault. I knew more about VOOM than he did though.

kaw

Kaw

I can tell you this that if you had more then 2 recevier hook up that voom provides a multiswitch with them you should have not had to pay anything for it you should get ahold a voom or wilt and find out why he charge you for the mulitswitch. If he used his own off of his truck voom will give him his money back you should not have been charged for it

From what I read on the FAQ, I think you are responsible for the multiswitch on a 3+ receiver install. I am not saying that some people might not have had theirs provided on install free of charge, they might have, but I don't think VOOM provides them. I could be wrong on this. Perhaps someone else knows the answer for sure.

kaw

kawdog said:
From what I read on the FAQ, I think you are responsible for the multiswitch on a 3+ receiver install. I am not saying that some people might not have had theirs provided on install free of charge, they might have, but I don't think VOOM provides them. I could be wrong on this. Perhaps someone else knows the answer for sure.

kaw

Kaw
I am a voom installer and i can tell you that voom does provide the multiswitch and if they have not ship one for some reason i use mine and the give me my money back It is part of the free installation.

Kaw, that multiswitch has an antenna input, and should work (better probably) withough the diplexer on the antenna. I have attached a simplified diagram of the ideal setup for you. The only way you could get a better image than this would be to use a distribution amp off of the antenna and send a seperate line (asside from the sattellite feed) from the amp to each of your recievers. This would eliminate the diplexers altogether, and give you the best quality, but would require two cable runs to each reciever.

Chris

Attachments

• diagram1.JPG
    diagram1.JPG
    26 KB · Views: 221

excuse my luck of knowledge on voom; i have a ?

My OTA Rights

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)