My Pansat 9200HD always reads S:25, Q:25 when aiming at 125W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jaco

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
West Virginia
I am having a devil of a time getting PBS channels on 125W and I cannot figure out the cause so I am not sure where to even post this question.

Since I only have a 30" dish I am only trying to get the 12180 MHz transponder. I actually had it set up nicely for a day and was watching 8 channels. The next day, I couldn't get them at all. When this happens, my Pansat 9200HD gives me a reading of S:25, Q:25 and just stays pegged there. I can go on the roof and move the dish one way or the other and my receiver still gives me S:25, Q:25. Has anyone else had this strange problem? I tried rebooting the receiver and doing another blind scan. I've also tried scanning the transponder by itself.

I was quick to blame the receiver or the LNB first except that I can get one of the Claro TV transponders although I cannot watch anything because I am not a subscriber. With this transponder my receiver gives me a reading of S:98, Q73. This must mean that my hardware and cables are all working, yes?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

J

I am having a devil of a time getting PBS channels on 125W and I cannot figure out the cause so I am not sure where to even post this question.

Since I only have a 30" dish I am only trying to get the 12180 MHz transponder. I actually had it set up nicely for a day and was watching 8 channels. The next day, I couldn't get them at all. When this happens, my Pansat 9200HD gives me a reading of S:25, Q:25 and just stays pegged there. I can go on the roof and move the dish one way or the other and my receiver still gives me S:25, Q:25. Has anyone else had this strange problem? I tried rebooting the receiver and doing another blind scan. I've also tried scanning the transponder by itself.

I was quick to blame the receiver or the LNB first except that I can get one of the Claro TV transponders although I cannot watch anything because I am not a subscriber. With this transponder my receiver gives me a reading of S:98, Q73. This must mean that my hardware and cables are all working, yes?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Thanks in advance.

J
Receiver and cables should be ok. Have you checked your settings for that sat to make sure nothing was changed accidentally like polarity, etc? Possibly a combination of weather/dish size. On the day you were able to get it, was the weather decent compared to now? Did you have a solid lock w/ no pixelation - 125W can be difficult to get on a smaller dish and if overcast/rain/fog/snow you might lose it.

Receiver and cables should be ok. Have you checked your settings for that sat to make sure nothing was changed accidentally like polarity, etc? Possibly a combination of weather/dish size. On the day you were able to get it, was the weather decent compared to now? Did you have a solid lock w/ no pixelation - 125W can be difficult to get on a smaller dish and if overcast/rain/fog/snow you might lose it.

On the day I had it working there was no pixellation at all. It was also very dreary outside. The problem doesn't seem to be weather-dependent. I go up on the roof to adjust, the receiver will still read S:25, Q:25 no matter how much I tweak the dish.

I do have a 120cm dish that I am itching to install but I haven't a good way to mount it yet.

I was surprised that blind scan picked up the Claro TV transponder because it is supposed to be beaming at the Caribbean.

J

They have apparently changed things on 125. I had to go to a 1.2 meter dedicated to that satellite a couple of months or so ago. With the way it is now, I doubt you will even get a blip on a 30" dish. I was having trouble keeping a lock on a 90cm.

Reactions: FaT Air
like Ke4est said, something has definitely changed on 125w. Up until a few months ago I was getting everything except Montana reliably but now can hardly get a lock with a 30" on all the channels.

I think I remember someone posting about the PBS stations replacing a tower or something and so a lot of stuff is being swapped around, maybe when it's done it'll be good again.

Yep, a 1.2m is the way to go for 125W. I had an 84e fixed on it for a long time, with no problems, on all the pbs, worked well even after the switch to S2. But that all changed a couple of months ago.
Just checked and I have a claro TP strong, like a 78Q which is exceptionally strong, while the pbs transponders are in the 'normal' range for my S9 receiver. (central plains near the Canadian border) (Normal range being around 70 to 73)

Jaco - IMHO - If you have the 1.2, and want pbs's before next spring, do whatever it takes to 'fix' it on 125. Even if only a temporary homemade NPRM. <<mine has turned to being quire permanent. (I didn't think I over-engineered it when I built it)
If unsuccessful on 125 with the 30 inch dish, there's the three channels on 87W. My 30 inch Channel Master works well there (with a Titanium PLL LNBF) Q of only 20 - 30 on the S9 receiver but solid reception almost all the time. Only bad weather will knock it out.

Received my MicroHD, get a decent lock on PBS, OETV, and a few other services. First thing is I am going to replace the LNBF with a newer one, then in the spring replace the dish to a 1.2 and everything should help. It was a bugger manually positioning that dish in the dark and cold up here.

Got it on a 90cm, hmmmmmm, makes me want to try that so I can use the 1.2 for 99 and 103 ku. But may have to wait a while, it's cold (really cold), and windy, and gets dark way too early.
(Give that Titanium PLL a test/try. I like mine, it 'perked up' the performance of my 30 inch CM)

Reactions: KE4EST
(Give that Titanium PLL a test/try. I like mine, it 'perked up' the performance of my 30 inch CM)

You have read my mind, will be buying that one.. ke4est

I bought an Avenger PLL322S-2 to replace my Invacom QPH-031. I tested it on SES-2 (87W) I found zero difference in quality. Anyways, it was a whole lot cheaper than my Invacom so it still gets a hearty recommendation from me.

J

Those Titanium PLL's really like the cold. -10 in Minneapolis, and my quality readings just keep going up, 85 to 89 Q on PBS 125ku. Maybe it will hit the high 90's when it's -25 below this week!

Reactions: Titanium
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)