NASA TV - HD or do we lose it?

rdale

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 17, 2012
Lansing, Michigan, United States
NASA TV on Dish has been the SD feed. It's no longer an option...

From NASA:

ADVISORY:

Beginning on June 1, 2016, NASA Television becomes fully High Definition (HD) and will no longer distribute a Standard Definition (SD) feed. On that date, the programming previously aired on NASA TV Standard Definition Channel 102 will begin airing on the High Definition NASA TV Public Education Channel 101.

Viewers and media outlets are urged to make note of the below technical details for the new (all HD) NASA TV channel line-up, effective June 1, 2016, and contact your cable distributors and satellite service providers to ensure that they too are informed of the change and are able to continue providing NASA TV on their systems.

NASA Television Line-Up as of June 1, 2016:

Channel 101 – Public-Education Channel is available at:
NTV-1 (Public-Education) HD Program = 101 (HQ1) Compression Format = MPEG-2, Video PID = 0x112 hex / 274 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x113 hex / 275 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x115 hex / 277 decimal.

Channel 103 – Media Channel is available at:
NTV-3 (Media) HD Program = 103 (HQ3) -- Compression Format = MPEG-4, Video PID = 0x1031 hex / 4145 decimal, AC-3 Audio PID = 0x1034 hex /4148 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x1035 hex /4149 decimal.

Channel 104 (Ultra High Definition Test Channel Operated by Harmonic):
UHD PROGRAM = 104 -- Compression Format: HEVC @ 13 Mbps, Video PID: 0x1041 hex/4161 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID: 0x1044 hex/ 4164 decimal, AAC-LC PID: 0x1045 hex/4165 decimal. *

Lose it. I never watch it whether in SD or if it was HD. If anything happens relative to importance , the national news , internet , etc carry the story. The days of watching rockets launch into space ended back in 2010, when we ended the space shuttle program under the previous presidents orders.

Reactions: Troch77
Lose it. I never watch it whether in SD or if it was HD. If anything happens relative to importance , the national news , internet , etc carry the story. The days of watching rockets launch into space ended back in 2010, when we ended the space shuttle program under the previous presidents orders.
Agree, How much Education Hour from 2010 can one really watch.
I'm fairly sure NASA is FTA anyway.
And I'm sure Dish will just do what they do with the other HD channels that are currently in SD.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: MikeD-C05
NASA TV on Dish has been the SD feed. It's no longer an option...

From NASA:

ADVISORY:

Beginning on June 1, 2016, NASA Television becomes fully High Definition (HD) and will no longer distribute a Standard Definition (SD) feed. On that date, the programming previously aired on NASA TV Standard Definition Channel 102 will begin airing on the High Definition NASA TV Public Education Channel 101.

Viewers and media outlets are urged to make note of the below technical details for the new (all HD) NASA TV channel line-up, effective June 1, 2016, and contact your cable distributors and satellite service providers to ensure that they too are informed of the change and are able to continue providing NASA TV on their systems.

NASA Television Line-Up as of June 1, 2016:

Channel 101 – Public-Education Channel is available at:
NTV-1 (Public-Education) HD Program = 101 (HQ1) Compression Format = MPEG-2, Video PID = 0x112 hex / 274 decimal, AC-3 PID = 0x113 hex / 275 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x115 hex / 277 decimal.

Channel 103 – Media Channel is available at:
NTV-3 (Media) HD Program = 103 (HQ3) -- Compression Format = MPEG-4, Video PID = 0x1031 hex / 4145 decimal, AC-3 Audio PID = 0x1034 hex /4148 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID = 0x1035 hex /4149 decimal.

Channel 104 (Ultra High Definition Test Channel Operated by Harmonic):
UHD PROGRAM = 104 -- Compression Format: HEVC @ 13 Mbps, Video PID: 0x1041 hex/4161 decimal, MPEG I Layer II Audio PID: 0x1044 hex/ 4164 decimal, AAC-LC PID: 0x1045 hex/4165 decimal. *
do you have a website link on this? i think it is time for dish to start carrying more hd channels its been three months since we had any new hd channels thanks :)

Means nothing. There are other channels that only broadcast in HD and DISH carries them in SD.

Means nothing. There are other channels that only broadcast in HD and DISH carries them in SD.

Well they need to point to a new signal so it has to mean at least something :)

do you have a website link on this? i think it is time for dish to start carrying more hd channels its been three months since we had any new hd channels thanks :)

It was from the daily NASA Videofile email, here's a link with the general info.

http://www.nasa.gov/content/nasa-tv-on-satellite-amc-18c

Reactions: Tampa8
For all we know they could already be pulling down the HD feed from AMC-18 and downrezzing it already.
They may be doing that already. I'm currently seeing a 16:9 format reduced in size, surrounded by black. This is different than the 4:3 w/ black on each side I had been familiar with.

Reactions: TheKrell
The only reason I never really watched NASA TV was because it was on SD only on Dish. Maybe NASA TV counts as a "public interest" channel per requirements. So, yeah, like one said before, Dish may just downrez it.

Reactions: TheLip
They may be doing that already. I'm currently seeing a 16:9 format reduced in size, surrounded by black. This is different than the 4:3 w/ black on each side I had been familiar with.

Argh! I hate when providers do that; screw up the aspect ratio on an SD signal so that widescreen material is picture-framed. :mad: Anamorphic widescreen is the way to go IMHO. Is the picture framed display more acceptable than making a squished display for the few people who still have CRT TVs?

Make it HD. You really can't appreciate the content in SD. It does not do it justice. By gosh, it's not 1969 anymore!!!!!
is it time for dish to try its best to work on getting all of our channels added in hd you know it is 2016 and everything in hd looks great on my 4ktv

Reactions: charlesrshell
The obvious solution is to transmit the downscaled channels as 16:9 SD (yes, that is a thing) and let the receivers, according to the users' wishes, output them as-is, centercut them, or letterbox them. I don't know why so-called industry professionals can't realize that. (They do outside of North America.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts