NASCAR 2016 season

A new sponsor for the NASCAR main series, it will be Monster.

https://racingnews.co/2016/11/21/a-new-nascar-sponsor-isnt-wanted/

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I don't mind them doing the Main name every ten years, what annoys me is the constant placement of a corporate sponsor in the weekly race track name ...

I really don't care what they call a race anymore, seeing they all have a new sponsor, I lose track ... just tell me what track its at and the time that the RACE ACTUALLY STARTS ... not like Fox with thier 12 pm start, but the actual race doesn't start till 1:40 BS.

Reactions: WiCkeDuDe
just tell me what track its at and the time that the RACE ACTUALLY STARTS ... not like Fox with thier 12 pm start, but the actual race doesn't start till 1:40 BS.

If you don't already read/follow it, I highly recommend www.jayski.com. He always has a countdown clock for each race to the actual planned green flag, not to mention a full weekend schedule of events, tv coverage, etc. Much better news site than nascar.com, espn, etc. too.

If you don't already read/follow it, I highly recommend www.jayski.com. He always has a countdown clock for each race to the actual planned green flag, not to mention a full weekend schedule of events, tv coverage, etc. Much better news site than nascar.com, espn, etc. too.
Thanks ...
I use to go to Jayski, I know that the nascar site has been poor at least the last few years, ever since they redesigned it.

Carl Edwards expected to retire immediately from NASCAR

Carl Edwards is expected to announce Wednesday that he will retire immediately from NASCAR racing, according to sources familiar with his plans.

The 37-year-old Edwards informed team owner Joe Gibbs right before Christmas that he no longer wanted to compete, two people with knowledge of the situation told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Reactions: charlesrshell
No immediate reason was available for why Edwards would retire. Daniel Suarez will be named the replacement for Edwards at Joe Gibbs Racing, sources said. Suarez, from Mexico, became the first foreign-born driver to win a NASCAR national series when he earned the Xfinity Series title in 2016.(ESPN)
AND: Joe Gibbs Racing is scheduled to hold two separate news conferences [Edwards retirement? Hamlin contract extension?) starting at 10:00am/et on Wednesday, January 11, 2017 from its headquarters in Huntersville, NC.(JGR)
MORE: Edwards is leaving Joe Gibbs Racing to pursue other interests outside of driving and will not compete in 2017. On Wednesday, JGR will announce at a press conference that Daniel Suarez will replace Edwards as the driver of the team's #19 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Toyota. Suarez is the reigning NASCAR XFINITY Series champion. Representatives of Edwards and Joe Gibbs Racing declined comment. David Wilson, president of TRD, U.S.A., also declined comment on Edwards' departure.(FoxSports)(1-10-2017)

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm

Unless he has some medical condition that nobody knows about, the retiring that early doesn't make much sense.

Some notes from the press conference for those that cant or didn't see it:

Carl feels the need to pursue other interests outside racing, he feels it in his gut.
Risk played a part in his decision. He states he is now 100% healthy and sharp and able to pursue other interests. He feels there is risk to maybe not be sharp and not be able to do other things if
something bad may happen on the race track basically.

He followed his gut and got into racing, now he is following his gut feelings to do other things.
Carl thinks following his gut feelings have done well for him in the past.

Personally he feels, while he is still sharp, he wants to do other things in life.
Life is short, do what your gut tells you.
Carl did get emotional at one point.

My stream skipped a few times so sorry if I missed any other points.

One bad day on the racetrack, you can become a vegetable or worse, I respect his decision.
I am glad for Carl because I made a similar decisions as him in life, and they were the best decisions I ever made.

Good Luck in the future Carl, you will go far, you are a class act!

Unless he has some medical condition that nobody knows about, the retiring that early doesn't make much sense.
Maybe hes been concussed previously and its been kept quiet, seeing Jr came out and got help, he figures he doesn't want to chance it.

I'm sure there have been plenty of drivers that have had concussions when they wreck.

Reactions: fred555
This just adds another layer to what seems like the weirdest offseason I can remember, and as someone who's spent most of my life as a diehard NASCAR fan, I'm finding myself less and less interested in the upcoming season.

I grew up a Labonte fan, first Terry, and later Bobby, too. I actually started rooting for Tony Stewart back in his IRL days, then he came to NASCAR and started out driving in the Busch Series out of the Labonte's Busch shops (deal with Gibbs), then Bobby's teammate once he moved to Cup...so naturally I rooted for him as well, especially after Terry and Bobby both retired. FF several years, and with Smoke being out a bunch in recent years, I kinda gravitated towards Harvick. My Mom was already a big fan of his, then Kevin kinda took the baton @ SHR as Tony backed off, plus them being best buds. Just made sense to follow Kevin after Tony retired. On the flip side, I've also grown up a fan of Chevy/GM, and despise Ford. SHR had to throw a monkey wrench in things and switch to Ford. I know rooting for a manufacturer in the days of common template cars doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but after years as a Chevy guy, it still seems bizarre to find myself rooting for a Ford, even with Kevin driving it and Smoke owning it. Seeing the first images of the new SHR Fords turned my stomach the first time I saw them.

Add to all that, Monster Energy coming in (for pennies on the dollar) and suddenly rumors of format changes, halftime breaks, mandatory cautions...uggh. Then you have healthy long-time drivers like Carl just up and deciding to walk away (and Biffle, too, to a lesser extent), and Junior's Concussion Issues. Odd times in the sport in general, and in my interests in the sport. Odd times.

(Sorry for the personal rant...first-world problems, for sure. :confused:)

Reactions: fred555

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)