NASCAR in a higher tier?

paultry

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 13, 2009
Southeast Alabama
2015 NASCAR schedule shows 13 of NBC's 20 races will be on NBCSN. Any chance NBCSN will be moving down to the 120 level, or will some of us be finding other things to occupy our Sunday afternoons?

Some of the FOX races will be shown on FS1. Either way you'll probably have to do 200 or DA Silver (which gets you NBCSN but not FS1). I have a friend who is a CSR for DISH who claims NBCSN will be in the 120 by next August but (no offense to those folks) CSRs are usually low on the totem pole and any rumors may simply be coming from someone not in the know. NASCAR now uploads full races the day after on YouTube (or at least they started about mid-season) this year so that may be an option.

Edit: NBCSN only recently moved down a tier to 200 / Silver so I don't see it going to 120 anytime soon.

Reactions: ChadT41
Some of the FOX races will be shown on FS1. Either way you'll probably have to do 200 or DA Silver (which gets you NBCSN but not FS1). I have a friend who is a CSR for DISH who claims NBCSN will be in the 120 by next August but (no offense to those folks) CSRs are usually low on the totem pole and any rumors may simply be coming from someone not in the know. NASCAR now uploads full races the day after on YouTube (or at least they started about mid-season) this year so that may be an option.

Edit: NBCSN only recently moved down a tier to 200 / Silver so I don't see it going to 120 anytime soon.
I'm glad you threw that edit in. That's what I was going to mention. Everyone begged and begged for them to move it to AT200, from 250, and now that they did, everyone wants to beg and beg it goes to 120. Next will be the WP

Reactions: fhsucade07
plus NASCAR isn't as big as it used to be with all that happened since 2001, death of Dale Earnhardt Sr., Change of sponsor from Winston cigarettes to Nextel (and the company it would merge with Sprint) for the Cup Series, the Chase format of the points standings where there's a playoff, people being tired of Jimmie Johnson winning in general (i know what makes NASCAR fan tick and i'm a Jimmie Johnson fan), the Economy and the lack of "Good Ole Boys" from the South racing in NASCAR these days. NASCAR has changed over the years and some fear it is for the worst.

I know people here in Indy who loaded up on seat buys for the Brickyard in the beginning. In the last three or four years, they have been singing the blues.

I don't know the exact why's but NASCAR has lost viewers both on TV and in the stands. In fact 1/2 the viewers it had. And the reason they are even on the channels we discussing is because the big networks didn't even bid on getting it. (Though they appear to still have more viewers than some other sports like Basketball) So that would mean NASCAR needs as many possibilities to have people watch them than before, so I could see a push to get the channels they are going to be on to be in most all packages.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-...nd-money-despite-loyal-supporter-base/5556126

I know people here in Indy who loaded up on seat buys for the Brickyard in the beginning. In the last three or four years, they have been singing the blues.
I kind of wish NASCAR would leave Indy ( because the race is not entertaining) and move the race to Iowa Speedway. NASCAR works so much better on short tracks

Reactions: DWS44
I don't know the exact why's but NASCAR has lost viewers both on TV and in the stands. In fact 1/2 the viewers it had. And the reason they are even on the channels we discussing is because the big networks didn't even bid on getting it. (Though they appear to still have more viewers than some other sports like Basketball) So that would mean NASCAR needs as many possibilities to have people watch them than before, so I could see a push to get the channels they are going to be on to be in most all packages.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-...nd-money-despite-loyal-supporter-base/5556126
NASCAR went "mainstream" in the mid 90's. It was a royal screw up.

On cable it's worse. Those who do not have converter boxes or whole home DVR's will have to go that route to get channels such as FS1 and NBCSN.
This will put them not only in more expensive tiers of programming, but will also cause these same subs to pay additional fees for the equipment.

IMO, the races are too long, some of the tracks are boring, and the constant tweaking of the points system irritates long time fans. I tend to tune in towards the end of the race, that is if I haven't fallen asleep in the recliner. :) (old age) I much prefer going to one of the four local dirt tracks on a Friday or Saturday night. Great racing, best man wins. (And a he** of a lot cheaper than gong to nearby MIS for a NASCAR race)

What an odd mix, the NHL, EPL, and NASCAR, on the same network. Wish NBCSN would be on Latino Dos, but it is what it is.

As far as NASCAR, it over exposed itself and is fighting against so much other media competition. That and it decided to go for cheap gimmicks and promote fights and crashing. NASCAR is getting what it deserves.

I currently have Dish Latino Max, as well as my parents. We're all big NASCAR fans. Fox Sports 1 is part of the package but not NBCSN and I don't think we can get it by adding multisports. So come next year we'll be out of luck.

This is a great example as to why Dish can never make everyone happy. The OP here, and plenty of others like him want a sports channel lowered to the smallest core package. Other people want all sports channels in the highest package or just a la carte. Can't please everyone.

This is a great example as to why Dish can never make everyone happy. The OP here, and plenty of others like him want a sports channel lowered to the smallest core package. Other people want all sports channels in the highest package or just a la carte. Can't please everyone.
Dish doesn't have to please everyone... just me. ;)

Latino Dos was the killer package before Fox lost the EPL Rights. I lost ESPN, but had the football and a great rate for the package (which also had a reasonable selection of channels). It was the best deal compromise wise! Sadly FSC no longer exists and the games are on NBCSN which isn't part of Latino Dos.

You get used to things sometimes.

Actually, I think this years NASCAR Chase was the most exciting it has ever been, fisticuffs, plenty of drama and excitement right down to the final checkered flag.

Fortunately, I get NBCSN over my internet provider since they also have their SD digital tier on the cable alongside my ethernet, I get my RSN, FS1,WGN America, NBCSN and many other channels all for the price of my 10meg internet service and 3 TiVos.

Cable internet is not only faster but it has side perks.

Most of the SD channels are quite good and very watchable, especially when I consider I save nearly $200 a year this way.

IMO, the races are too long, some of the tracks are boring, and the constant tweaking of the points system irritates long time fans. I tend to tune in towards the end of the race, that is if I haven't fallen asleep in the recliner. :) (old age) I much prefer going to one of the four local dirt tracks on a Friday or Saturday night. Great racing, best man wins. (And a he** of a lot cheaper than gong to nearby MIS for a NASCAR race)
With NASCAR's decision to choke the cars down by reducing horsepower, nothing is going to change.
The changes in the package to reduce downforce combined with the reduced horsepower will not result in anything different. We will just see slower cars doing the same thing.
That is, waiting for the last 50 laps or 100 miles depending on track config to actually race each other.
I think save for the Daytona 500 and the Coke 600, no event should be more than 400 miles.
Oh, the JUly Daytona race should be the final event of the season. Homestead is not the correct venue for the season finale

A bit off topic, but while I know it is likely due to the nature of carrier contracts, I am surprised that NBCSN is not found in any of the Dish Latino packages. Between MLS, F1 races, and the Tour de France, there are significant events popular within the Hispanic community that would make this channel a welcome addition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)