NBC Sports Network

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

zippyfrog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 27, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have Dish Network, and know nothing about other satellite providers in the US except for Directv. I was looking at the NBC Sports Network page for my area, Rockford/Chicago, and I noticed that NBC Sports Network is available on Satellites other than Directv and Dish Network:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45818...ty=json&zip=61084&zccSubmit.x=0&zccSubmit.y=0

Here is what comes up:
4DTV Channel W5287

C-Band Channel G7-21

A couple of questions
1) Is that an unencrypted "free" feed of NBC Sports Network?
2) How would I go about accessing NBC Sports Network through one of those satellite services? Are those satellites/channels viewable from my area?

These might be newbie questions and questions that belong in a different forum, but I thought I would ask them here.

I don't have the 4DTV but I doubt that the channel is free, might be available with other channel packages. You would need a c-band dish, aka big ugly dish 8' or better for stable signal, and a 4DTV receiver, which is 15yr old technology now, and not HD. If you subscribe with that equipment, it would seem to be reasonable to expect the blackouts and location restrictions that apply to the other providers too. 4DTV is no longer manufactured, I understand they are going for silly prices on ebay. Just my opinion....

Thanks for answering my questions! I was hoping that maybe there was a free satellite solution for NBCSN that was cheap, but it definitely doesn't sound like that is the case.

No free rides for sports these days, for some reason all the networks that pay sports leagues huge dollars for broadcast rights want to get paid for that.

Maybe they should make use of all those commercials they spam their channels with.

CBS, NBC, ABC, Fox, The CW, etc... all seem to have no problems paying their bills with advertising.

The networks also get paid by the stations for carriage rights. Used to be the other way, the stations got comp(ensation) for carrying a network.

They have to try to eat into espn's empire somehow, so they all start their own sports channel. Or so it seems.

I only care about NBC Sports because they take over from Speed Channel to carry Formula One.
We kick off the 2013 season, on 17 March.

Up untill a few years ago, I think only BBC ran it without commercials.

Good luck finding an open feed.
For those who also speak Spanish, look for it on Sky Mexico.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)