Nebraska and the Big 10 Network on Dish after July 1

according to Dish it IS considered a RSN. I know here in MN its included with FSN North as the RSN in At120+ or greater

Its possible they may switch it tomorrow (normally thats when changes are made) or you may have to wait until Friday

Or a few weeks from know when they figure it out....

I guess if I don't have it tomorrow morning, I'll add the sports pack. Sucks to have to do that, but I really want to see some of the programming this weekend.

I'm not sure that this would "show up" in the uplink. This is an authorization change, i.e. a mass card hit (or at least batched).

I think it would show up under "changed package flags" because it is changing for folks in Nebraska...but not everyone would get it (AT120 or some of the HD packages wouldnt)

I don't know what most of those terms mean, to be honest. This scenario, to me, doesn't appear to be any different than if I added HBO. It wouldn't show up in the uplink report.... :) They just hit my smartcard with the proper "code". For NE residents, they certainly have tools to query "all NE subscribers" and do a mass hit.

But not everyone in Nebraska is getting it (if Dish adds it 7/1). You need At120+ or greater for it to be part of the package (Dish considers it a RSN)

"change package flags" by the way from looking at the uplink reports is used as a reason when a channel changes packages or is part of a package in specific areas. Also used for local markets when zip codes or counties are added to a market.

Well it is July 1. I assume that is expecting way to much to at least have a satement of substance from Dish.

I don't see the channel in my all channels list as of this time. It would be nice if Dish had some sort of statement as to what their intentions for us Nebraska subs concerning the Big 10 network is, unless they do not know themselves.
If the channel is not on when I get home from work, getting ready to go in a little while, then I'll have to order the Multi-Sport pack because I would like to watch this weekend some of the" Welcome to the Big 10" programming featuring the Cornhuskers.

It would be under channel 439 if it was there

But it sounds like no agreement yet between the 2 to include it in basic packages (AT120+ or higher)

Yes welcome, un a unrelated note to the thread I see there is a show today called "it's crystal clear, the 1997 national championship" as a Michigan fan, I disagree lol :)

A chat rep just told me that Nebraska residents still must get Multi Sport in order to see the Big Ten Network. There is no information on when this will change.

It will change when Dish & the Big Ten Network do a new contract.
The current contract specifies base coverage in the previous Big Ten States (except SouthEastern PA), and being part of the Multi-Sport package in other States. Nebaska is considered a non-Big Ten State in that contract. Dish pays the Big Ten Network X amount for every subscriber in that Big Ten area, and a different amount for Sports Pack subscribers in nont-Big Ten States.

Dish does not want to unilaterly change that contract, as they will be paying the Big Ten Network for every subscriber in Nebraska, and not making any money off of it themselves, basically it would be a money loser for them. So unless the Big Ten Network gives them some kind of consession, then there will be no changes until the current contract runs out.

This is offtopic, but I read this earlier today so I thought it might interest a few CornNut fans.
I may bleed orange and black and disappointed my family going to OSU instead of OU, but I grew up going to OU/Neb football games with my dad and grandpa so I too will miss seeing Nebraska journey down the plains to get whupped in Oklahoma:D

This is from Berry Tramel at The Daily Oklahoman

Berry Tramel: We're going to miss Nebraska in the Big 12 | NewsOK.com

In honor of Nebraska's exit, here are a few things we'll miss about the Huskers. Since the Big 12 now has 10 teams, and the Big Ten has 12 teams, let's compromise and go with 11 things we'll miss about sharing a league with the Corn Kingdom:

1. The uniforms. Gotta love Nebraska's uniforms. Especially the road whites. With the red pants and the white helmet with the simple N, the Huskers were dressed elegantly as they proceeded to try to smash your face, often successfully.

2. The tunnel. It's one of college football's great traditions, Nebraska fans surrounding the visiting team underneath Memorial Stadium, applauding the enemy as it leaves the field after the game. Win or lose. That's the snapshot to remember. Not the knuckleheads who have taken over the fan base the last year.

3. Bo Pelini. Rats. This was going to be fun, a Youngstown rivalry, a Bob Stoops-Pelini battle in the Big 12 title game a good many Decembers. Pelini was the best kind of opposing coach. A guy you could work up a good hate for and a good respect for. Sort of like Stoops.

4. Old-fashioned offense. Texas eventually abandoned the option. So did Alabama. Finally, Oklahoma. But Nebraska clung to it into the 21st century; won a national title as recently as 1997 running option and played for a national title as recently as 2001 doing the same. The Huskers don't run the old option anymore, but now that Bill Callahan is gone, Nebraska has returned to smashmouth football. Not enough of that in the college game.

5. Day games in Lincoln. Game days in Nebraska are best with day games. The air is always crisp. The colors are always bright, even if it's snow everywhere. The old stadium is always full. Have you seen some of those lists the last 15 years or so that rank A&M's Kyle Field as the best atmosphere in the Big 12? Don't believe them. Nebraska always was No. 1.

6. Basketball victories. Every basketball program in the Big 12 is going to miss the Huskers. Lincoln was a road game you could go win. The Devaney Center, which rocked in the days of Joe Cipriano and Danny Nee, now is a Lincoln Tomb.

7. Big 12 title game. Fifteen years of Big 12 Championship games have made us take for granted how cool they are. The Big 12's decision to stand pat at 10 teams and play no title game is economically sound. But it comes at a high cost, when on the first Saturday of December, the Big 12 will be an afterthought unless Bedlam delivers a relevant showdown.

8. Texas-Nebraska games. I have no idea how the Huskers let the Longhorns get under their skins so much. But they did. No matter how good Nebraska was (1999) or how bad Texas was (2010), the Longhorns got Nebraska's goat. A mysterious hex that made for great theater.

9. Husker tourists. Nebraska fans would travel en masse to road games, especially to the old Big Eight locales. Manhattan, Lawrence, Ames, Columbia, Stillwater. Husker fans would paint red section after section of enemy coliseums. The Big 12 will miss those ticket sales, and Nebraska will miss that geographic proximity.

10. Hail Varsity. Nebraska's fight song isn't the best in America. Or even the Big 12. I'd take “Texas Fight,” the “Aggie War Hymn” and KU's “I'm a Jayhawk.” But the Husker fight song is solid and, even better, familiar. You hear that song and it stokes memories and emotions. You immediately think college football on a Saturday afternoon.

11. Remembrances of games past. You know what Nebraska did better than any school in the league? Remember. Honor its legacy. Treasure its past. Most schools, OU and OSU, included, do a nice job with their football heritage. But Nebraska cherished its memories the most. Especially the OU-NU rivalry. While Sooners don't seem to lament its loss, the Huskers remain agonized that the grand tradition is gone. It's sort of cool that someone cares about you that much.

I don't really care as long as I have it before the first kickoff. If not, I will be canceling and calling DirecTV the week before kickoff. I don't want to give Dish extra money for the multi-sports pack when it's something I should already have for being in a Big 10 state.

big ten and dish

Bottom line on people in Nebraska not receiving the big ten network is dish is putting the screws to us. If you go to their web site and look as if you are new and want to buy a package, the big ten network is listed in the at2oo and the at250 if you have one of those packages then you are already paying for that network. Maybe some else can find in there where it says that you have to buy a seperate package to get the big ten, but all I saw was it listed as one of their stations channel 439 Here is the response I got on line when I asked them about getting the big ten as of July 1" I understand that you are inquiring into the availability of the BIGten with your current package. The Nebraska area was just added to the division effective today. The availability will happen on its own. This will be available once the League changes the boundaries." Like I said earlier they are just putting the screws to us. They could send us that channel in a matter of seconds.

yep it is deceiving

But if you go to the locals area and plug in a zip that has had Big 10 already (say 55402 Minneapolis) it shows the RSN"s as FS North and Big 10
But if you plug in Lincoln it says the RSN's you get are Fox Sports Midwest, Root Sports Rocky Mountain and Altitude Sports. No Big 10

yep it is deceiving

But if you go to the locals area and plug in a zip that has had Big 10 already (say 55402 Minneapolis) it shows the RSN"s as FS North and Big 10
But if you plug in Lincoln it says the RSN's you get are Fox Sports Midwest, Root Sports Rocky Mountain and Altitude Sports. No Big 10
Exactly, the current contract with the Big Ten Network does not include Nebraska in the basic area. Nothing in the contract include Nebraska as in the Big Ten area. If Dish were to turn it on for everyone, they'd actually have to pay the Big Ten Network the higher rate per subscriber in non-Big Ten areas, than the lower rate per subscriber the Big Ten area gets, with no added income as they wouldn't be getting the sports pack money that offsets that higher non-Big Ten area rate.

It's not just Dish Network here, but also the Big Ten Network.

And it's not just the Nebaska people in this situation. The Penn St. fans in Southeastern PA have to do the same thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts