Need guidance for new FTA satellite install and roof antenna for local channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
If your desired satellite was right down the center of view in that photo, I would see no problems pulling it in if the dish were set precisely where you are standing. Not so sure about setting it on the deck roof, though. The tree to the left might interfere, but it is too hard to tell without using the sun to truly locate the satellite. Looks like there is a fair view of some sat's from the exact point you took the picture, but not sure how far to the right that LOS extends or which satellites are in that field. I think that you'll know better yourself when you check the position of the sun in person, at the proper time of day.

RADAR

Here are the pics taking at roughly 2:17PM.

This one is of the same deck roof as the previous picture:
deck_roof.jpg

This one is taken of the roof of the addition:

addition_roof.jpg

Note in both pictures I am standing 10-20 feet behind the structure so you can see the structure as well as the sun. What do you guys think?

If you place the dish at the location you took photo #2, looks 'good to go'. #1 looks plenty close to that tree. (Hard to tell with only a 2d view, deceiving) But then again, the sun is lower in the sky than the satellite arc this time of year, so anyplace there's full sunshine, at that time, should be good.(Without shadows cast by branches)

I think both locations look good, but that'd be where the photo was taken (10-20 feet behind the structure). I have to wonder if you got up onto either of the roofs if that tree will be back in your way (because it looks like in either case, you'd have to shift over to the left to get onto the rooftops).

The dish probably could be installed on a wooden post supporting the corner of your deck. I did such install a year ago at my friend's place. Some modification of ends of two pipes supporting the "J" post (mast) would be needed. Just have look from this place towards azimuth shown by Sun, but keep in mind what Fat Air mentioned, that this time of year the Sun is really low, probably 21 degree above horizon. Satellite 97 W is much higher, close to 39 degree.

It is not a good idea to mount the dish on a wood post. The moisture content will cause the post to twist as the wood swells and shrinks.

If you must mount on the deck, a joist or decking will have less movement.

Here are the pics taking at roughly 2:17PM.

This one is of the same deck roof as the previous picture:
View attachment 84258

This one is taken of the roof of the addition:

View attachment 84259

Note in both pictures I am standing 10-20 feet behind the structure so you can see the structure as well as the sun. What do you guys think?

I would say that either location would be acceptable right now for that one satellite (97W right?), but I think the second photo looks like a better LOS overall.
In the future, maybe 5 - 10 years down the road, you might start getting some occlusion from that tree depending upon how fast it grows.
But, by then you may have moved on to other dishes and other installation points.

RADAR

Get a 3" (2.5" Schedule 40) ground mounted pipe 20 feet long (standard length). Mount it next to the roof overhang, using cement in a hole in the ground. Use an antenna tower clamp at the eves to anchor it against the house. Mount the dish on the top of the pipe. Problem solved forever, and well worth the trouble to keep your roof safe from damage.

If you do this, you might have to use a transition adapter piece at the top to go down to 1-5/8" to fit the dish mount, that just depends on what dish you actually use. Or a 1-5/8" stub piece of chain-link fence post pipe, down the middle of the 2.5" schedule 40 pipe (maybe 1 foot long or so), with holes drilled completely through both of them and bolted through.

Thanks I will try to check for the sun at 2:17PM tomorrow.

As for the equipment I was planning on purchasing these things from sadoun:
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...-1&keyword=antenna&storeId=10051#.UO0AWG9QWE0
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Winegard/Winegard-Dish-30-DS-2076-Antenna.htm
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/S/KUL2-Sadoun-Standard-Dual-LNBF.htm
Perfect Vision PVGBQHFA Grounding Block (4) splice block.
?http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Accessories/Meters/SF95LK-DSS-Satellite-Signal-meter-Kit.htm

I would get the grounding wire and clamp from Home Depot. I already have good quality quad shield coaxial cable from monoprice.com

1) Are the above good picks? Am I missing anything?
2) Does anyone know if there is an HD satellite receiver that also has a regular digital HD tuner built in? My flat panel TV was made before they started requiring HD tuners to be builtin the TVs so its like a giant computer monitor.
3) If I ground to a water pipe inside of the house isn't that the same as having the satellite/antenna grounded to a wire that goes through my house?

For the same price this antenna would be a better deal and would perform better. It has a better range. And no build-in amplifier that could go bad. http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ce=CAT&znt_medium=RSCOM&znt_content=CT2032189
You may have to consider to get a rotor for the antenna to aim at different TV stations.
Also if you use an amplifier mount it as close as possible at the antenna. An amplifier can not amplify a signal if it is lost already because of longer cable runs etc.
I coaxed my whole house with quad RG 6 for my OTA and that made a very big difference.

Last edited:
You can use a piece of pipe and look through the pipe and set an angle-finder on it to see if you can clear the tree etc. Use an compass to get your direction right.

Thanks. I looked up my local digital channels on tvfool.com and all the channels I'm interested in are around 8.5 miles away from my house. Their color is green:
Green​
An indoor "set-top" antenna is probably sufficient to pick up these channels

I'd like to put a good enough antenna on the side of my house where my grounding rod enters the house. That side has trees that are 2-3 stories high. I live in a 2 story high house. What type of antenna would you recommend for this situation?

So then, why are we looking at antennas which will pull in signals at 45..75 miles?
Build one or buy one, but put it in the attic.
Read this thread, and particularly comments by Brent:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/194350-OTA-antenna-deal?highlight=antenna+solidsignal.com

I will probably install the dish on the exterior wall at the end of the addition in photo 2. Luckily the tree is on my property so I can have some of the limbs cut later if it becomes a problem. I think the dish might be an eyesore on my deck's roof.

As for why I want a roof mounted antenna.... I don't like how antennas look in a room. Rather just have a cable come from a wall jack connected to the TV. In any case I might try one of those flat antennas taped to the back of my TV to see if it provides good enough reception. If it does then that should work since its hidden behind the TV. Thanks all!

It is not a good idea to mount the dish on a wood post. The moisture content will cause the post to twist as the wood swells and shrinks.

If you must mount on the deck, a joist or decking will have less movement.
I was thinking about the 4x4 - or is it 5x5? pillar, supporting the corner of the roof. The dish could be installed temporarily, as a trial, on a "J" pipe connected only to its metal "foot", without these supporting 2 members (pipes with flattened ends). The foot could be fastened with just 2 screws, 4 to 5 feet above the ground, for very easy and convenient access from the ground. Signal from 97 W should be found with a receiver and small TV. Then, would be easy to eyeball along the LNB support to see, how far is its direction from the tree. Of course, the satellite is higher than the aim of the LNB support. If everything works, then the foot with "J" pipe can be fastened higher, this time with these 2 stabilizing pipes, and more screws to the pillar. Cheers, polgyver

I just found this device that is small and can be installed in an attic:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007MXZB2/?tag=satell01-20

I don't want a large antenna in my attic. Since I am roughly 8.5 miles from all the local channels do you guys think an antenna like this in my attic would work? The signal will be split to at least 2 TVs for now. I am using quad shielded cable.

Also does an antenna like this need to be grounded? Thanks all.

With transmission towers 8.5 miles away do not amplify the signals. This will likely overload the OTA tuner. If you plan on distributing to several TVs, then you might consider a distribution amplifier, but otherwise, avoid amplifiers.

To determine the best OTA, look at TV Fool site and determine what bands the channels are transmitted on. UHF is typical, VHF- high is quite often used, VHF- low is rare, but used in several markets.

Are all station from same tower? If not, what angles are the stations transmitted from?

I would never let a friend buy a Terk product as I have found their products to be cheap and poorly constructed. Might be ok if mounted inside attic. Only mount the antenna in the attic if shooting out through non metallic eaves. Don't shoot through roofing as snow and rain on shingles can attenuate signals or cause multi path issues and kill OTA signals.

The linked amplifier would be suitable for multiple TV distribution. You would need to have an idea of the amount of distribution amplification that the signals and cable lengths will need. Best to buy an amplifier with adjustable gain.

Lordmoosh,

To be perfectly honest, all you really need is a 24" to 30" piece of rigid and straight copper wire that is the same diameter as your coaxial antenna input on your TV.
A brazing rod works really well, if it is the correct diameter.

Place a 90° bend in that wire near one end to provide an "L" shape so that you can insert the short - maybe 1" end into the coaxial input on the back of your TV.
Turn the TV on and scan for OTA terrestrial channels.

If the OTA signals are as close as you say, you'll get 'em in! And they will come in fine! Just try it and you will see for yourself.

RADAR

This copper rod idea, is it supposed to be in the same room as the TV or do you mean put it in the attic?

I checked TV Fool and all of the channels seemed to be lined up North East of me one after another. It does not appear like they are on the same tower but they are lined up close to each other. Everything is UHF or VHF-H. Only one channel (ABC) was VHF-L between 5-6.

What would be a good, small antenna to get that I could place in my attic so I don't have antennas hooked up to each TV? I already have quad shield coax going up there. I was planning to put the antenna at one side of the attic or the other. The wall is wood farmed with some kind of wood board (not plywood), a layer of foam insulation and then vinyl siding. Thanks all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts