Netflix on gaming machines.

I watched two Netflix HD downloads to the XBOX last evening and they were satisfactory, same PQ as I get from HBO, Showtime, Starz etc. Certainly not BluRay but quite acceptable. I noticed that the Netflix tests the connection to determine if you have HD quality and this is good.

The interface seems adequate for the XBOX. It is completely graphical. Wife says she misses the DVD box and likes to read it just before watching the movie. I suppose I'll need to keep the ipad handy now for the IMDB app. :)

I have to admit when I was wrong. Having Netflix online is a real addictive convenience to watch a movie now that the PQ is at least HBO HD quality.

Didn't get a chance to try on the PS3 yet, maybe tomorrow. I also put 6 BluRay disks on the cue list so we'll see how that works out.

As for the Ruku and VUDU box. I'll learn about it as best I can but I would have to be blown away by quality to justify buying a box just to replicate what I already can do using the PS3 and XBOX. If it is a very subtle difference in PQ then I'll pass. If Netflix works out as I can see so far. I may never have the time to watch some of my Dish Network movie channels and should consider dropping them. That cost savings can easily justify the online subscriptions cost I'm incurring with this test.

BTW- I was very happy the movies from Netflix download were DVR like. Sometimes I have to leave it and like to pause the movie for awhile.

The one area I haven't found will be replaceable with Netflix is Game rentals. Has anyone heard whether Netflix will expand their service into Games?

Can't retrieve information from Xbox Live. Please try again later. Status code: 80153004

Forgot to mention that when I tried to extend my xboxlive gold for an additional 12 months in the "xbox marketplace, the above is what I kept getting all day. Frustrated, decided to just order a card from Comp USA for $39.95. Seemed to be the best deal going for now. It's $49.95 but has a $10 instant rebate.

I watched two Netflix HD downloads to the XBOX last evening and they were satisfactory, same PQ as I get from HBO, Showtime, Starz etc. Certainly not BluRay but quite acceptable. I noticed that the Netflix tests the connection to determine if you have HD quality and this is good.

The interface seems adequate for the XBOX. It is completely graphical. Wife says she misses the DVD box and likes to read it just before watching the movie. I suppose I'll need to keep the ipad handy now for the IMDB app. :)

I have to admit when I was wrong. Having Netflix online is a real addictive convenience to watch a movie now that the PQ is at least HBO HD quality.

Didn't get a chance to try on the PS3 yet, maybe tomorrow. I also put 6 BluRay disks on the cue list so we'll see how that works out.

As for the Ruku and VUDU box. I'll learn about it as best I can but I would have to be blown away by quality to justify buying a box just to replicate what I already can do using the PS3 and XBOX. If it is a very subtle difference in PQ then I'll pass. If Netflix works out as I can see so far. I may never have the time to watch some of my Dish Network movie channels and should consider dropping them. That cost savings can easily justify the online subscriptions cost I'm incurring with this test.

BTW- I was very happy the movies from Netflix download were DVR like. Sometimes I have to leave it and like to pause the movie for awhile.

The one area I haven't found will be replaceable with Netflix is Game rentals. Has anyone heard whether Netflix will expand their service into Games?

Gamefly is a netflix type game rental service, but there again, one more fee

As far as the difference between the Playstation Store for movies versus Vudu, I do not think there is a "real" comparison for selection OR PQ. Vudu just has so much more to offer and I would say that in HDX mode, it is as close to Blu-Ray as I have seen without actually being Blu-Ray. Still, may or may not be worth the added cost of a box, but that is all you would be out. No monthly cost.

I quit using a 360 for Netflix streaming and use the computer. One reason is you have to use a computer to add to your queue then watch on the 360. With a PC you can browse/search, then watch instantly
That's what I hate about the using the Samsung BD player in my kids playroom. though it is useful in that we can control what the kids watch by limiting them to the queue.

At least the PS3 allows you to search and browse movies. I thought the 360 had that function, guess not (don't have a 360, so haven't tried it out there).

Not sure if the Wii has it, haven't used Netflix on it much, just enough to test that it works. But since we have the PS3 or Samsung in the same room as the wii's, it isn't used as much.

To answer an earlier statement above, yes you can use them at the same time. Your account can have up to 6 online streaming devices at a time (I have both our PC's, the PS3, the Samsung, and both Wii's tagged right now). Typically both the PS3 and Samsung will be streaming at the same time, with a PC added from time to time.

Also, you can order extra discs from Netflix for free, we keep 2 copies of the PS3 & wii disc's around in case 1 gets misplaced.

Well, it should be obvious. Nothing is more comfortable than being hunched over a 17" monitor at your desk to watch a good movie. Who needs a couch when you have that?

LOL. I hate watching Netflix on the PC.

Don it takes about one day to send a movie back, if you want a movie coming out on a Tuesday send a movie back Saturday, they will get it on Monday and will send you the new release that comes out on Tuesday.

HD TV shows look good on Netflix. I watched the first 5 seasons of Lost and it look real good.

Results of my research into alternative streaming platforms. From just reading reviews and specs, it appears that the alternative platforms are mostly 720p x 1280 and cost $70 - $200. Given that what I have now is at least that and already installed, I'll hold off until additional content and alternative platforms are released for 1080p. Part of this decision is because my HD playback results are looking pretty good on the xbox360. The overall cost is quite acceptable, too.

Having said that, let's continue the discussion on these alternative platforms anyway. I, for one need to stay abreast of the technology curve on this. Who knows, I may be discovering my beloved VIP722K and Dish Network are becoming obsolete. I'm already considering dropping HBO, starz and Showtime on Dish.

Results of my research into alternative streaming platforms. From just reading reviews and specs, it appears that the alternative platforms are mostly 720p x 1280 and cost $70 - $200. Given that what I have now is at least that and already installed, I'll hold off until additional content and alternative platforms are released for 1080p. Part of this decision is because my HD playback results are looking pretty good on the xbox360. The overall cost is quite acceptable, too.

Having said that, let's continue the discussion on these alternative platforms anyway. I, for one need to stay abreast of the technology curve on this. Who knows, I may be discovering my beloved VIP722K and Dish Network are becoming obsolete. I'm already considering dropping HBO, starz and Showtime on Dish.

Netflix wont do 1080p streaming. The Xbox 360 does do 1080P except for netflix and Zune.

Some of the info in this thread is inaccuraye.

First of all the Roku interface is unique. Second the roju intetface can be used today. In fact it has been available for some time.

Netflix wont do 1080p streaming. The Xbox 360 does do 1080P except for netflix and Zune.

True! However Netflix offers the BluRay disk mail out so for me that kind of makes up for it, IMO. :) Time will tell if it can satisfy me as good as Blockbuster did. I'm sure they will eventually offer 1080p in the future. If they don't... apparently there are the alternatives. :) I love choices.

Some other tidbits about Netflix. It may be an excellent investment. Historically, it has been for the past year with a stock price growth of 243%. The past 5 weeks have seen a $40 increase in the stock price. It is trading at 52x earning, however which is pretty high for the industry and could limit further upside. They have 12Million subscribers and 2 Million are active each day getting disks mailed to them. They operate at a net profit margin of 7.27% and a revenue growth rate of 25%.

Do you mean alternative ways to get netflix, or just movie alternatives in general. I know the VUDU does 1080p. Pretty sure Ruku for netflix will be 1080p capable as well, unless I read the wrong info.

True! However Netflix offers the BluRay disk mail out so for me that kind of makes up for it, IMO. :) Time will tell if it can satisfy me as good as Blockbuster did. I'm sure they will eventually offer 1080p in the future. If they don't... apparently there are the alternatives. :) I love choices.

IMO Netflix is a lot better than Blockbuster, I don't have to go to the store.:D

I saw a report on either Tekzilla or HD Nation that Netflix gave Epix a lot of money over the next few years to stream their movies, I know Lions gate is one of them.

Edit.....Here is a link to the story.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/business/media/11netflix.html

They will add movies from Paramount Pictures, Lions Gate and MGM.

Last edited:
No, just ways to get high quality content at the lowest bottom line. Also, not to spend on short lived technology. In other words, I'm cautious on new companies with lots of bold claims but no substance.

I haven't been a fan of Netflix since the beginning but when the stats change, I change! Only now I will give them a second chance. Had them for a trial years ago and it was awful.

Roku is planning to have an upgrade for 1080p before end of year. Assume this happens, then, where and how much for the content?

No, just ways to get high quality content at the lowest bottom line. Also, not to spend on short lived technology. In other words, I'm cautious on new companies with lots of bold claims but no substance.

I haven't been a fan of Netflix since the beginning but when the stats change, I change! Only now I will give them a second chance. Had them for a trial years ago and it was awful.

Roku is planning to have an upgrade for 1080p before end of year. Assume this happens, then, where and how much for the content?

But it might not be for Netflix content, depends if Netflix will have 1080p content in the future.

Edit.....

Netflix now claims that it incorrectly acknowledged 1080p streaming in the company's 2010 development road map. A Netflix representative has clarified that the company plans to bring 5.1 surround and closed captioning to its streaming HD videos later this year, though 1080p Watch Instantly is not on the books for this year.

http://gizmodo.com/5467011/netflix-streaming-getting-a-1080p-upgrade-update-or-not

Well I'm glad they are bringing 5.1

That really is not what the Roku interface looks like. It may be what is in an ad or a review but it does not resemble what I see on my Roku. The Roku interface contains a lot more info ab out what is in your queues, recent purchases, and what is available in certain genres you preselect. I have used other interfaces for Netflix and i find the Roku interface more helpful----and the PQ is better than the others I have tried.

Here is a link to an article on the Roku interface that might give you a better idea.

http://mashable.com/2010/05/27/roku-netflix-new/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts