Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
I got the receiver up and running.
On the setup page I noticed that the IP is not listed. I recently installed the 5402 firmware and had no problems. I am using the Netgear WNCE 2001 WiFi adaptor. I can't get the Internet going at all. Do I need to reinstall the firmware again?

Can't use the ethernet cable to connect to the router? I can just imagine trying to set up a wireless dongle to work on one of these boxes... You might be able to compile the driver and get it to work but as soon as the unit re-boots it will have to be re-done.

I have both of mine on the wired network using DHCP, with the router assigning them a static (dhcp) address. That way there is really nothing to set up on the box itself. All you really need to do then is add your network SSID so samba will integrate it to your windoze network. I have to change one hostname to AzBox2 since I have two on the same network, and telnet to the box every time it re-boots to change it. Haven't been able to reverse engineer the software to make it permanent.

If you have a spare wireless router kicking around you can configure it as a wireless station/bridge to allow it to work on the local wireless system. Might have to go with something that can run DD-WRT like the old WRT54Gxx models. I have done that and it works fairly well. Router is transparent in the system and you can set up the Ultra just as you would a wired connection. You would set the gateway to your main router, same subnet mask and DNS servers as your other devices. You are limited to your wireless network speed, but at least you have a connection.

edit:
spieling

That's what I did with my Linksys WRT54g router. I'm using the DD-WRT Firmware and using this router as a repeater. I'm using the Netgear WNCE 2001 as the wifi adapter and it show I'm getting the signal from the router.
I reinstalled the 5402 firmware into my Ultra.
Looking at my setup screen, the IP is showing all zeros. It keep on checking status and trying to connect. No luck.
Is there a way to get the IP back into the Ultra?

If I'm not mistaken, you can assign an Ultra a static IP address in that network setup menu but that doesn't explain why the router's DHCP function isn't doing that automatically?

Can't use the ethernet cable to connect to the router? I can just imagine trying to set up a wireless dongle to work on one of these boxes... You might be able to compile the driver and get it to work but as soon as the unit re-boots it will have to be re-done.

No need to compile any drivers as long as you get the WaveFocus Wireless B/G/N USB adapter which works out of the box on the AzBox Elite, Ultra or even Premium if you remove the built-in B/G wireless module. Just plug it in to any USB port and you will be able to scan for and configure wireless networks using the receiver's GUI just like if you had an AzBox Premium or Premium HD Plus.

Reactions: eurosport
It may be settings on the Netgear adapter or one of the routers. I'm wondering if I need to change "repeater" to "repeater bridge" on my Linksys WRT54G router.
What's the difference?

That's what I did with my Linksys WRT54g router. I'm using the DD-WRT Firmware and using this router as a repeater. I'm using the Netgear WNCE 2001 as the wifi adapter and it show I'm getting the signal from the router.
I reinstalled the 5402 firmware into my Ultra.
Looking at my setup screen, the IP is showing all zeros. It keep on checking status and trying to connect. No luck.
Is there a way to get the IP back into the Ultra?

The Netgear WNCE 2001 should work fine on the AzBox Ultra assuming it is properly configured as it is a simple wireless bridge that works on any device with an Ethernet port.

Try going to the Internet option in Setup then after making sure IP Setting is set to Dynamic IP(DHCP), select the Setup button on the bottom of the screen which will have the receiver try to acquire a new IP address via DHCP.

Pwrsurge, I was hoping you would respond. I thought about it. Since I bought the Netgear I am hoping it would work. I may get one of those stick if all else fail.

No need to compile any drivers as long as you get the WaveFocus Wireless B/G/N USB adapter which works out of the box on the AzBox Elite, Ultra or even Premium if you remove the built-in B/G wireless module. Just plug it in to any USB port and you will be able to scan for and configure wireless networks using the receiver's GUI just like if you had an AzBox Premium or Premium HD Plus.

So the Ultra (and other models) already have this driver incorporated in the firmware? That's actually a good idea, but would also be nice to be able to use other devices too in case the specific device becomes no longer available...

There should be some mechanism for the adapter to be set to forward DHCP from the main router (DHCP server) to the AzBox, otherwise you can use a static IP outside the main router's DHCP range should work as long as the network mask is set the same.

Also, is the built-in B/G module located on the main board or plugged into the main board? I actually have not looked at the Ultra main board! :)

So the Ultra (and other models) already have this driver incorporated in the firmware? That's actually a good idea, but would also be nice to be able to use other devices too in case the specific device becomes no longer available...

There should be some mechanism for the adapter to be set to forward DHCP from the main router (DHCP server) to the AzBox, otherwise you can use a static IP outside the main router's DHCP range should work as long as the network mask is set the same.

Also, is the built-in B/G module located on the main board or plugged into the main board? I actually have not looked at the Ultra main board! :)

The network chip is an RTL8201CP and it's soldered onto the motherboard in the Elite and Ultra. Here's a link to the chip.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313&_nkw=rtl8201+&_sacat=0

Just haven't been able to find a USB Wireless adapter with that chipset at a decent price. I only use my AZ Box receivers to playback odd ball video formats that the Micro and Openbox receivers won't so not having a LAN connection on my Elite isn't really that much of a problem.

I use the lan on the azboxes all the time... I have several sheduled recordings that I gather to a network drive, then play the file on the AzBox connected to the big tv when I get a chance. Since they do NTS they are always keeping perfect time.
I don't use much wireless here though, try to avoid it because it is too confining bandwidth wise. I did just recently have to add a new AP so the Wife could use her new laptop... that doesn't have 5.8g :(. I bought her a long 40' cat6stp cable to plug it in with but she didn't like it.

Yes the AzBox Elite and Ultra have plug & play support for the WaveFocus wireless USB adapter.

It also works for the Premium and Premium Plus as well should you wish to enable support for "N" networks as the built in wireless in these models only supports "B" or "G" networks.
The only prerequisite for the Premium and Premium + models is to first remove the wireless module it comes with which is plugged into the mainboard in order to allow the external wireless USB adapter to be detected.

Just curious if you have tried the wired connection just to see if it works?

Well, finally found the solution!
On the setup (for the Internet) for the Ultra, I kept clicking the wifi button. Kept giving me problems when I tried to connect.
Tonight I clicked on the wired button and clicked on Connect. Boom, it connected!

Well, finally found the solution!
On the setup (for the Internet) for the Ultra, I kept clicking the wifi button. Kept giving me problems when I tried to connect.
Tonight I clicked on the wired button and clicked on Connect. Boom, it connected!

That explains it as the wifi button will only work if you have the WaveFocus wirless USB adapter plugged in. Your Netgear WNCE 2001 wireless bridge is actually considered as an Ethernet wired connection for any device that it is used on including your AzBox Ultra.

FYI, I'm using a Linksys WRT54G with my Azbox. The WRT54G has dd-wrt firmware and is configured as a repeater bridge. Works great. You can connect other devices to it also (such as a LAN attached or even a wifi device - bluray players come to mind). dd-wrt firmware gives you options than the vendors firmware doesn't. If you have a compatible device for dd-wrt firmware you might want to give that a try before trashing an unused router.

Yes the WRT54's are really nice to have kicking around, quite flexible with the different 3rd party firmware(s) available. Don't ever throw one away (unless it let out all it's smoke). The GL has the most memory for bigger firmware builds etc.

DD-WRT has a really slim build with a CLI only that works great. I have had one running in my home network for several years. Only access it once in a while to turn the wifi on and off for the guest house. It's just always there.

Ever try Tomato?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts