New 612, maybe receiver problems?

astraelraen

Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
I've tried this at a couple other forums that don't seem frequented as much. Trying out here.

I just had Dish installed 2 days ago and am already having a few problems. I don't know if it is directly related to the VIP612 or not so I posted it here.

I've noticed that TLC HD randomly freezes video and drops audio for ~5 seconds. Sometimes it seems random, others it happens pretty frequently... every few minutes. One time it dropped the channel and said it couldn't locate the satellite maybe? I have reset the 612 and it still does this. I have tested several other channels including History HD, SciFi HD, Travel Channel HD, Discovery HD and CNN HD. They do not do this.

Secondly, I have an amplified OTA antenna hooked up for my HD locals. It does fairly well, signal strength is in the low 70s for all channels channels. The problem is with channel NBC, which is the easiest channel to get in under any other circumstance. It has a signal strength of ~80 95% of the time. But every now and then it just randomly drops to 0 then builds back up to 80... when it does this, it does it over and over again for 5-10 minutes, or sometimes even indefinitely. It does not do this when connected directly to my TV, only when connected through the 612.

I'm going to see if putting the antenna by the window helps but I've gotta get a longer run of cable to make it.

Any clues?

Thanks in advance.

New 612 user here also. I don't use the OTA input so I am no value there. I had my 612 only for about a week before I had a tech come out and re peek my dish, which was off pretty badly buy the original installer and replace my 612. The issue I had was the 612 would lock up at least once a day. The picture would freeze, no audio and the box would not respond to the remote, so I would have to do the hard reset. I thougth I had it licked after a few days of pulling the unit out of the cabinet it was in, I thought heat was the issue. I ran maybe two or three days with no lock ups, but then last Sunday the box went sideways twice on me....Since the dish was peaked, and box replaced no lock ups so far and that was three days ago.

I talked with a co-worker who has DISH and lives about 5 minutes away from me and he said he was having the exact same problems with TLC HD last night. He has a 722 receiver. Maybe DISH is just having problems with that channel and/or satellite.

As for the NBC station. I actually made it work, sorta. I turned down the gain on my amplified OTA antenna and NBC comes in fine now. I guess it was messing up the receiver. But with the gain on anything but max no other OTA stations will come in. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)