New Apple device on the way

Does the current Apple TV have some sort of current loop serial connection?

I'm vexed by the mention of "RS485" wiring. This might suggest an automation device that would benefit from long-distance, low-speed communications.

It might also suggest that Apple is trying to co-opt the RS-485 designation for their own evil purposes.

On the other hand, maybe it is a serial port converter so that Apple gear can communicate with serial controlled video or surviellance gear.

I'm thinking that a sound system built into something the form factor of an Apple TV isn't going to please any but the most smitten Apple zealot. The Echo certainly isn't an audiophile piece, but it is a lot better than a Dot. The product label seems to be designed around a rectangular plate versus the cylindrical shapes of the competition.

I'm more inclined to go with the speculation about it being an Apple Pay terminal. In the testing report, they speak of using CoolTerm (a very primative terminal program) on a Macbook Pro to test the device. This seems to support the idea that the device may be an NFC reader for a Mac.

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts