New C31 Client adds HDCP on ALL Channels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
According to a document obtained by SatelliteGuys News the upcoming C31 client for the HR-34 (Soon to be rebranded as the GENIE) will be the first DIRECTV receiver to add HDCP (High Bandwidth Digital Content Protection) to ALL channels output over HDMI.

According to the document it states, "It has been determined that the C31 Client and future Client models will enforce HDCP copy protection on ALL programming displayed. This is different from HDCP copy protection enforcement for IRDs in that they will only enforce HDCP copy protection on premium movie channels, PPV movies, and most broadband VOD content. Customers who have an HDMI
connection to a non-compliant TV will receive an on-screen error message on ALL channels when connected to a C31 Client."

Customers who wish to use HDMI will be encouraged to purchase a new "HDCP Compliant" television.

For those with older sets they will be encouraged to switch to component cables, which will require a special 10 Pin DIN component cable. DIRECTV is instructing techs to carry an adequate stock of these cables on their trucks. For audio these customer can use the Red and White audio cables on the component cable, or use a digital audio cable.

Oh boy. This could cause some issues in the field...

Very very good to know about it now, rather than learn about it onsite.

This is not going to go well. I'm thinking this whole HDCP thing that DIRECTV is doing is going to do damage to HDCP and the HDMI standard as they apply HDCP inappropriately and/or incorrectly.

Theory holds that if the TV doesn't support HDCP, there isn't supposed to be a usable HD signal coming out of the STB. DIRECTV appears turning that upside down and encouraging everyone to opt for component and all but beg their customers to exploit the Analog Hole.

It is also folly to assume that the HDCP failure is necessarily the fault of the TV.

Can you get an HDCP adaptor for your TV to make it compliant?

::snicker::snort::

With dish network dropping amc, I was considering switching but this news might have me staying put. My bedroom hd television does not support hdcp and the blue component input on the back of the tv is broken due to my teen age kid yanking his xbox cables out of the back instead of just unplugging them. :(

Thanks Scott, I think this is big news for a lot of people but can find no mention of this at all on the other site. I would think they would be all over this, so I am very glad I popped in tonight!

Thanks Scott, I think this is big news for a lot of people but can find no mention of this at all on the other site.
As I said before they don't seem to mention anything DIRECTV related unless DIRECTV tells them it's ok. This information was sent out to ALL DIRECTV DEALERS last night.

For me it is another reason to avoid the C31 (soon to be renamed Genie). Telling a customer that they must buy one or more new TV's should gain them many more customers :whip:

Here is a copy of the DIRECTV document as a number of people have asked me for it.

There is a new Slingbox 500 coming out shortly that HDMI that does not support HDCP... dont get one if you have one of these C31's :)

Attachments

• C31_HDCP_NOTICE.pdf
    387.2 KB · Views: 663
Here is a copy of the DIRECTV document as a number of people have asked me for it.
Where do they get off prefacing the whole document with "it has been determined"? Didn't they know that is how it was going to work? I could swallow it if they said that "it has been decided" but this makes it sound like the behavior was largely, if not entirely, unexpected.

So how does all this work if you have several devices of mixed technology all hooked to the same receiver? For example, an HDCP compliant TV via HDMI cables, and a older TV using component? Will it see the latter and block the content from going to all devices hooked up to the receiver?

On a related subject...is this somehow related to that dumb pop-up you get telling you to hold the exit button because you're feeding an HD feed to a non-HD TV (since I have the setup noted above to feed a signal to a little used old TV in my basement; not never-used, but little-used!)? I don't know why it cares you're feeding 720p to a 480i, it works either way.

Any device that isn't compatible won't show a picture. If the secure chain is interrupted at any point it won't make it to the destnation.

Our TVs have been bought in the last 5-6 years, so this is a non-issue for us.

Will it really not show a picture or just down-res the picture to 480p or something?

Along with that, is there any way to turn off that "Your TV isn't an HD TV, please hold EXIT to set it to the appropriate resolution"? It's a pain, if you're watching one TV it pops up every time you change channels or hit 'guide'; then you have to set it back when you go back to watching the HD TV.

Last edited:
I bought a 23" lcd tv and a samsung dvd player with DVI output from Dell a while back. The DVI connection on the tv was not HDCP compliant so there was no picture when using the DVI input. Dell support told me " too bad" even though their website sold these 2 items as a package. Samsung support however gave me the code to allow the dvd player and tv to work together through the DVI connection. I wonder if DTV will lose many customers over this issue or if it is something that will be used industry wide in the future.

I bought a 23" lcd tv and a samsung dvd player with DVI output from Dell a while back. The DVI connection on the tv was not HDCP compliant so there was no picture when using the DVI input. Dell support told me " too bad" even though their website sold these 2 items as a package. Samsung support however gave me the code to allow the dvd player and tv to work together through the DVI connection. I wonder if DTV will lose many customers over this issue or if it is something that will be used industry wide in the future.

It's the future, but only as other technologies hit obsolescence. They agent going to lose many if any customers over it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts