New directv employee

Status
Please reply by conversation.
rsmith7,

Did you just disclose the existence of a non-disclosure agreement? Now somebody will have to neither confirm or deny that after a candidate has made it through the hiring process there is a chance of becoming disgruntled and disclosing things he or she had vowed not to disclose.

Joe

Hihi peoples! I get to act all important and give some definitive (more definitive?) answers to this.

I haven't worked for DirecTV for about three years, but I assume the status quo hasn't shifted :)

As mentioned, after roughly 90 days of employment (obviously more if you don't have DTV service, as they don't exactly break their backs to run out and install you over paying customers :p) you are given access to Premier, which includes pretty much everything. Additionally, employees are usually granted access to NFL Sunday Ticket, although when I worked there it was 'threatened' that we wouldn't get it unless we sold a certain number of subscriptions legitimately.

As I recall (again, three years!) the $4.95 additional box fee was waved, as was the first occurance of the HD and DVR fee, meaning that employees were given -one- HD-DVR, but any beyond the first they had to pay for normally.

Pay per view was given a 33% discount, as I recall, so that $3.99 movie would cost us $2.66.

Installation, unfortunately, received no discount. In fact, as employees (who wouldn't be paying for service) we weren't allowed to take advantage of New Customer Offers, which makes sense. Why in the world would DirecTV comp the installation fee on an account that doesn't pay for service? However, employees -were- allowed to do self-installations, if they felt comfortable doing so.

Being an employee does not give you a discount on maintenance costs, unless you count being informed enough to fix -most- problems yourself. I believe the Protection Plan did have a slight discount, but don't remember clearly.

Now, as to why installers don't get the same benefits:

As I understand, DirecTV doesn't maintain a private service department but, instead, contract out to get their technicians. Since installers don't actually work for the company, they don't get nearly as many (any?) program benefits. I believe the same applies to contracted call centers, which get -some- programming for free, but certainly not Premier.

Lastly, to the comment of "So thats why we have to pay so much!" Yes, I know you were kidding, but I'm acting smart!

DirecTV pays for channels upfront, not per instance. It costs them the same to broadcast Comedy Central to one subscriber as 5,000 as 500,000. Thus, the free programming to employees doesn't really cost them anything, other than the funds that would be offset by charging them, theoretically.

For you technical types out there, yes, there is a cost associated with the bandwidth and processing time required to access employee receivers, but we're talking about less than $1 per receiver :p

Thats about it!

Keep in mind, aspiring employees, that you -must- have a land-line telephone to receive free programming. If 90 days goes by and DirecTV doesn't get a callback from one of the receivers on your account, all service will be turned off.

The reason for this, of course, is that it would be astoundingly simple for an employee to get an extra receiver and give it to a friend who, BOOM, has Premier for free! Getting callbacks assures DTV that all the receivers actually -are- in the same location :)

Waiting to see how long before you are no longer an employee there because you posted here. 250 channels +NFLST free?? That explains why the rest of us pay so much! Write us back when Dish hires you so we can see their employee package! :D

I work for a company that sells Dish service and they don't give anything!!!! Typical!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts