New EPG Info data - strange

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have noticed this lately in the guide with the 10:00 AM hour of The Today Show. Usually, the upcoming episode is listed as "Today - Kathie Lee and Hoda" (or something like that. I am not actually looking at the guide at the moment, just going from memory.) while the episodes farther out in the guide are simply listed as "Today". Presumably, the title gets corrected when it is closer to the date of each episode, so timers will still work. However, unless NBC is on the bubble about firing Kathie Lee or Hoda (or both) I wonder why the title would not be the same for every weekday episode in that time slot for the entire length of the guide.

Actually - That is exactly what is happening.. I wouldn't think that is the reason for what you are seeing, but in reality there is a change coming.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/01/27/megyn-kelly-nbc-news-today-show/97141790/

I'm seeing more and more descriptions being cut off.... First 48 on A&E at midnight has the description cut off. As I look around at other shows many have dots at the end with incomplete descriptions.

look at supercross tonight, 151, look at program info, summary, new or not, things like that. there is nothing other than summary. doesn't say new, or original air date, no information.
try setting a recording, to record series, doesn't work, recording not set. can only record this 1 event. then go to saturday the 18th 150, like 9pm. same supercross title. same problems.
not good !!

had a seek timer for motorcycle racing or something, worked great for the first few supercross races, broken now

Tmz seems to be renamed on the hopper 3,
The timer for 630 only sees the weekend show, a new timer sees the 1hr show earlier in the afternoon. 30 minutes is enough tmz for us, lol
Also motorcycle racig on a seek picked up Supercross, now its not seen this weekend on fox, have to set a timer for fox Supercross too.

Impractical jokers season 6 is in spanish for description. The one airing after is English, 2 different timers the 230 set to skip, 2pm was not to record or skip. Wtf, sigh....
Example sunday 242 at 2pm cst. Missed the season premier because the information is incorrect,

Next new one is Thursday, 9pm, no information in episodes for Spanish one, tons of episodes in the other one.

Tmz name change also i had to set a manual timer. The 630 show

I have noticed this lately in the guide with the 10:00 AM hour of The Today Show. Usually, the upcoming episode is listed as "Today - Kathie Lee and Hoda" (or something like that. I am not actually looking at the guide at the moment, just going from memory.) while the episodes farther out in the guide are simply listed as "Today". Presumably, the title gets corrected when it is closer to the date of each episode, so timers will still work. However, unless NBC is on the bubble about firing Kathie Lee or Hoda (or both) I wonder why the title would not be the same for every weekday episode in that time slot for the entire length of the guide.
I checked again after I posted this, and it seems to be fixed now. "Today - Kathie Lee & Hoda" all the way out in the guide now. Now, let's see if it stays listed that way after the change that Tampa pointed out. :biggrin

Actually - That is exactly what is happening.. I wouldn't think that is the reason for what you are seeing, but in reality there is a change coming.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2017/01/27/megyn-kelly-nbc-news-today-show/97141790/

Reactions: Tampa8
I’ve noticed this description issue too and incorrect pictures for shows showing up again. Also, the PBS Newshour still has a picture of Gwen Ifill who died back in November. Something else, the banner at the top of the screen that displays the program title has started popping up on its own. When the program title on the guide changes to the next show, the banner pops up as if someone pressed the info button. It’s annoying and I hope they fix it and change it back to how it used to be.

Something else, the banner at the top of the screen that displays the program title has started popping up on its own. When the program title on the guide changes to the next show, the banner pops up as if someone pressed the info button. It’s annoying and I hope they fix it and change it back to how it used to be.
Which receiver do you have? I used to notice this on older receivers, especially on premium movie channels, but I have not seen this behavior for a long time.

OK, dear old mom saw something odd on her guide that led her to believe that her 2017 version first run (NEW) Hawaii Five-O was going NOT to record? Sure enough, it was a new episode and the date was wrong as a Pre-date. So after tracking it down (it was part of PTAT) we had to RESTORE the two cancelled timers for this and next week's episodes. Then we discovered the same problem with Blue Bloods, which follow Hawaii Five-O. This weeks BB episode is NEW, but it showed as a CANCELED recording, so we RESTORED that timer. But, in trying to correct next weeks BB, the Timer Schedule display did not show a BB episode for next week, but the EPG did have BB as airing, but no artwork thumbnail and only a generic description for INFO, so there was no way to ensure it would record.

Just more PITA things that didn't used to happen (to us, anyway) with timers and reliability of recordings. The TiVo migrations to Rovi metadata still isn't fixed completely. I could be wrong, but Dish seems to be migrating to Rovi (now TiVO) metadata. I wonder if the new owners of Gracenote, Nielsen, demanded higher payments from Dish upon becoming new owners, and Charlie was having none of it. It would be nice if Dish would confirm if they are migrating or not, and just let us know they are aware. Then again, I don't think TiVo ever officially acknowledged their migration to Rovi (the new owners of TiVo). I think a few members at the TCF (TiVo Community Forum) knew the contract with Gracenote was ending, did some digging, and figured it out. Perhaps later Rovi/TiVo may have crowed, but I don't remember them doing that.

Let's hope things go better than they are now.

Last night, I noticed the TV Series "Batman" was titled on the EPG and banner as "The Batman." I tuned in to check and it was the 1960's TV series on air, not the movie versions. Unless the timer is an INexact SEEK and RECORD, a Batman timer aint gonna fire for those poor souls looking forward to Adam West and Robin :). Just another example of stupid metadata ERRORS.

I’ve noticed this description issue too and incorrect pictures for shows showing up again. Also, the PBS Newshour still has a picture of Gwen Ifill who died back in November. Something else, the banner at the top of the screen that displays the program title has started popping up on its own. When the program title on the guide changes to the next show, the banner pops up as if someone pressed the info button. It’s annoying and I hope they fix it and change it back to how it used to be.
Yes, I saw the late Gwen still on the art thumbnail and almost LOL'd. Shame on me, but it is a SPLENDID example dumb metadata (which includes the artwork, I believe) of something like getting a letter addressed to a dead person who has gone to a better place some time ago and for the metadata service to do something about it.

While it seems to be getting only a little better, I still have more than a few recordings with generic artwork thumbnails, and it is really is disappointing as I do use the artwork more than the text to identify recordings and channels on the guide. And the artwork is often DIFFERENT between the DVR and the Dish Anywhere site.

Let's hope they have the taste to at least fix the Gwen Iffill mess.

The new EPG data changed "At Midnight" to "@ Midnight", invalidating the old timer. However, the Hopper 3 errors out when trying to set a new timer for "@ Midnight" because, I assume, it begins with a symbol and not a letter or number. Dish needs to address this.

Reactions: dolfan3033
Last night, I noticed the TV Series "Batman" was titled on the EPG and banner as "The Batman." I tuned in to check and it was the 1960's TV series on air, not the movie versions. Unless the timer is an INexact SEEK and RECORD, a Batman timer aint gonna fire for those poor souls looking forward to Adam West and Robin :). Just another example of stupid metadata ERRORS.
Even worse, the timer would fire for those who are looking for the animated series The Batman that used to air on Kids WB and Cartoon Network.

A few nights ago I saw a movie description in French instead of English. Also, one of my local channels' weekly locally-produced shows no longer shows up with episode numbers, so I had to change my "new only" timer to "new and repeats" and then deal with all the repeats taking up space. (I'm surprised it even let me change to "new and repeats", because there's a new series starting tonight on Science that, when I tried to set a series timer last week, wouldn't let me do it because it also showed up without an episode number.)

I don't look for Dish to do anything about any of this, because they never forced their last data provider to fix any of their problems.

Even worse, the timer would fire for those who are looking for the animated series The Batman that used to air on Kids WB and Cartoon Network.
OH! I did not know that. Excellent point. That is probably the confusion with the proper program title. Thanks for that clarification. Also, I'll have to check and see if Hal Linden is still listed as a an actor on ALL episodes of Golden Girls.

Reactions: pattykay
A few nights ago I saw a movie description in French instead of English. Also, one of my local channels' weekly locally-produced shows no longer shows up with episode numbers, so I had to change my "new only" timer to "new and repeats" and then deal with all the repeats taking up space. (I'm surprised it even let me change to "new and repeats", because there's a new series starting tonight on Science that, when I tried to set a series timer last week, wouldn't let me do it because it also showed up without an episode number.)

I don't look for Dish to do anything about any of this, because they never forced their last data provider to fix any of their problems.
Well, considering all signs pointing to an imminent sale of Dish to ??? (my money on Verizon), even LESS motivation to fix ANYTHING!

Well, Today I have noticed that the short, but good INFO for TV shows has returned and with the Tribune copyright. After discovering a few, I went around and checked the info on quite a few listings in different days, etc. and every one had the familar short, but good listings with Tribune copyright, and even the Golden Girls was fixed to rid it of Hal Linden, and I noticed that Dish now lists 4 actors on TV shows instead of 3--or did Dish make that change earlier? It's as if all has been restored to what it pretty much was, although all the Blue Bloods listings had the word "NULL" between each actor's name listed. Probably a command code.

Has anyone else noticed the sudden RETURN to all Tribune or are there still some "Rovi-like" listings for TV shows, especially if they are not first run episodes? At length INFO is great for MOVIES, but not for TV Shows. Rovi/TiVo descriptions for TV shows are too wordy and give too much detail on the story. Glad to see the Tribune descriptions back and the FIXES that came along with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)