New Find Today

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hello Guys,

I located a used 10ft BUD today. Talked with the owner, and the house and property will be sold in few days in an auction. The dish and pole are to be scraped with others farm items. I told them I was interested in the Dish but could not get the pole! They are going to check with their person, what they would receive in dollars for the dish as scrap. I will hear from them this weekend I hope! I am not sure what the price of scrap would be, anybody have any idea what they would get for scraping the metal? Then I might know what they are asking. What would be a fair price for this? Photos are below! It measures at 10 foot and is a UniMesh! As you can see, the dish is in pretty good shape, one small cut on mesh. Well, I'm having trouble with uploading the photos! Guess we'll stick with the words for now!

Last edited:
I have a Unimesh 10' in my basement, so I got out the scale. The mesh panels weigh 13 Lbs each. So it's 52 Lbs mostly aluminum for the 10' reflector. The 4 LNB support arms add another 4 Lbs of aluminum.

Check the upper and lower pivot bushings for slack and most especially the lower delination setting mechanism. Mine was really horked up and required some rework to get it anywhere near stable. Still has more play in it than I'd like to see but it's good enough to do what I need for now.

Oh, and mine is a button hook LNB type too which isn't a plus either!

FYI the Unimesh dishes aren't the best quality as far as design and build are concerned but if you can get that one for a "C" note or less then it's probably worth it. I've got a 10ft Winegard that's twice the dish quality wise that the Unimesh is!

Mine had an 18" Venture dish mover which isn't the best either. I had a spare Von Weise though so I used that instead.

Good luck!

Hey Guys, thanks for your impute! Guess I'll sit and wait for the phone to ring and see what happens! They said they would call :).

Say they came back at you for $75-$100. Tell them "OK, but I'd need you to pop the pole out of the ground for me, and then I'll take the whole thing". You can dig a hole at your place a bit larger, and drop the pole into it complete with cement. Level it up with some stakes and 2 x 4's, Then just wet everything down good, mix up a bit more bag post cement in a wheelbarrow, and shovel it all around until it's tight.

It's not as hard as you think to pull the pole, especially on a farm where they likely have a tractor with a front loader and a chain. BUT, it saves your back so that you now have a chance to plant it at your place without already being sore. If you don't have a trailer handy, go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and rent one of their trucks for an hour to haul the whole thing home.

Thanks Primestar31, lets hope I can put your idea to work.
Also, I can't add the photos! I got a little older and forgot how. Anybody have an idea how?

Say they came back at you for $75-$100. Tell them "OK, but I'd need you to pop the pole out of the ground for me, and then I'll take the whole thing". You can dig a hole at your place a bit larger, and drop the pole into it complete with cement. Level it up with some stakes and 2 x 4's, Then just wet everything down good, mix up a bit more bag post cement in a wheelbarrow, and shovel it all around until it's tight.

It's not as hard as you think to pull the pole, especially on a farm where they likely have a tractor with a front loader and a chain. BUT, it saves your back so that you now have a chance to plant it at your place without already being sore. If you don't have a trailer handy, go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and rent one of their trucks for an hour to haul the whole thing home.

Don't let them pull the pole with the dish attached, of course.
And I would be proactive as the cutoff date gets closer.
?Else somebody might wreck YOUR dish, or worse yet: haul it away. :)

keystone there is a lot of c band dishes over here in angola you can find there is a lot of them.

Dan Rose

One thought on getting a dish for "scrap" prices. For the seller to realize the scrap price, he needs to account for the labor and transportation cost to get the scrap money. Say the dish is worth $75 scrap, but it would cost $50 to take it down and get it to the scrap yard. That nets a real value of $25 for a scrap operation.

Be sure to deduct for labor and transport off their scrap price! That's why "free" is a very possible option in many of these BUD recoveries.

I would hope there is not too much concrete. You would need something big to haul my pole and the yard and a half of concrete that is down in the ground. You know what a yard weighs? I do.
RT

Once again Guys, thanks! No call yet!
Hey, just wondering, I now get 87W on C-Band at S90/Q70. Would it be a greater signal after I go to all the trouble to get the 10foot? I know bigger is better but what are some of you guys getting with a 10foot?

Last edited:
On the ones you now get, you probably won't see much greater [if any] change in "Q". What you will notice is the ones that are just borderline now. They should now be solid. But this goes hand in hand with the install "Q". The better you tune it up the better the performance.
Most get pretty good performance out of their 7.5's
?Uploading photos - click Go Advanced*. Scroll down to Manage Attachments
*holding the keyboard Alt key and hitting letter X key also works here.

Thanks FaT Air, for your information!

On the ones you now get, you probably won't see much greater [if any] change in "Q". What you will notice is the ones that are just borderline now. They should now be solid. But this goes hand in hand with the install "Q". The better you tune it up the better the performance.
Most get pretty good performance out of their 7.5's
?Uploading photos - click Go Advanced*. Scroll down to Manage Attachments
*holding the keyboard Alt key and hitting letter X key also works here.

Please note also that different receivers will show completely different Q readings for the exact same TPs on the exact same dish, ie, my Openbox S9 and AZBox are a mile apart so you really can't go by someone elses Q readings. What Phat says about those weaker TP signals is where you will see the difference.

When I go to the advanced and click on it. I then go to the manage attachments. Find the photo and click the upload. The circle just sits there and spins, spins, spins. It will not do anything! Any ideas?

keystone I think it does that until you click on "save changes" or "exit", whatever the next step is. I've noticed that too in the past.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)